October 22, 2014

The Next Food Network Star: Miami Up All Night - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 13th 2009 9:05AM
The Next Food Network StarWe're really down to the nitty-gritty on The Next Food Network Star. After tonight's elimination, we're down to four contestants, and just think: one of them is going to have their own show on Food Network.

None of these people strike me as having the presence of a Guy Fieri, but he was raw once too so maybe one of these people will really shine in the next few weeks and the coming months.

I'm glad Michael was let go. The judges were right, some people would love him and some would hate him. I'm in the middle but I know I couldn't watch him week after week. As for the other contestants, I can picture Jeffrey and Melissa (will some work) with their own shows. Not sure what was up with Debbie this week. Was she just so overwhelmed by the work she had to do that she actually thought she had done more, or did she realize she hadn't done enough and tried to fib her way through?

Picviewer

Hey did you know Debbie was Korean?

sorry I knew that but the braincells are dead from the when will she say it drinking game......

July 14 2009 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stacywitt

Well I agree with so much already said.
But I feel Debbie should have gone last night. She was so selfish and then tried to say she was selfless, come on that was a plan out lie. I am so glad they called her on it though. The only reason why her food was better then the others for the all night party was because she took all night to make it. If she stayed in the 2 hour time frame she would have done bad like the rest. And this wasn't the first time she tried to make her self look good by fibbing, she has been that way since day one. Also she can't cook outside her comfort zone, I mean come on a salad for the steak house challange was a cop out. As for Michael, I agree he would make a great person for out door party shows, but needs to tone things down a bit. I like Jeffrey and Melissa the best, both cook good food and are comfortable in front of the camera. Melissa being a stay at home mom I think would make a great show where the cooking is truley simple, yet alittle different, she has a clue and gives great tips. As for Jamika she is better the the others who have gone, but she goes back and forth with her personality and cooking, she lets her self get to flustered, she would do great if she would just relax a bit more.
I tell you though if Debbie wins this thing I will be extremely disapointed, I have watched the other seasons and this is the first time I truley just don't like someone.I really don't feel she will do well as a host, that has to work with others on the set to make things go proper. And it will all be Korean type food that would be made. I don't see how the heck she is a caterer, unless it's only her and only the foods she can make. I don't know from day one there has just been something about her that I do not like and every week I am seeing the things.

July 13 2009 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

Debbie is simply wretched. She comes across as a self-absorbed compulsive liar, and has been like that since the first episode when she screwed up the shopping trip. For someone who claims to have experience as a caterer, she doesn't have a clue. She's also boring and repetitive. How many times is she going to cook up an Asian beef skewer, Asian pasta salad, Asian crabcake, or Korean barbecue? There's a world of flavor that doesn't revolve around soy or sesame.

I'm really pleased this time that Susie called her out on her "martyrdom", at least.

July 13 2009 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

Michael would have been great as a guest host on one of those "going to the fair" or "barbeque cookout" style shows, though he'd definitely have had to tone things down. I think the cameras they use outdoors might be just the ticket for him, nothing fearful , no closeup in your face shots. He was really over the top with the flamer style though, a little less would have been so much more believable.

Debbie really isn't ready for the "big time" she wants to be thrust into. I don't even see her in any guest spots, it is all too much about "her".

Michael might make it, possibly, but I think it's gonna go right to Mellissa in the end. She oozes Doris Day without even seeming to make any effort toward it. And as the judges have noted before , she has some great tips.(like the Helpful Heloise of food)

Jamika wasn't good or bad this week. I don't see her striving enough to win this competition. While it seems she's a good cook , the personality leaves when the pressure is turned up.

July 13 2009 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wulfn1's comment
wulfn1

Ack.... second mention of Michael should have referred to Jeffrey

July 13 2009 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Davis

"None of these people strike me as having the presence of a Guy Fieri..."

Heh.

July 13 2009 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

It was time for Michael to go. Telling the judges he was uncomfortable in front of the cameras was like signing his death warrant. I think either Melissa or Jeffrey will win the whole thing.

July 13 2009 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply