True Blood: Shake and Fingerpop
by Jane Boursaw, posted Jul 13th 2009 3:58AM
(S02E04) "Evil is making the pre-medicated choice to be a dick." - Jason
TV Squad has THE smartest readers on the Web. I'm even more sure of that after reading the comments about last week's episode, "Scratches."
Nancy said Maryann appears to be a Circe, and Crystal backed her up, noting, "Most notably, Circe turned Odysseus' crew into swine, but she had the power to concoct potions and cast spells to turn humans into any animal, which we saw when she forced Sam to shape shift against his will. Inviting her victims to a sumptuous feast to dispense her "Circean poison" is her classic trap."
There's no doubt that's exactly what happened in last night's episode, with Tara's birthday feast, culminating in Maryann doing her shaky thing that caused everyone to act like animals, whether they were smearing food all over themselves or having mad sex. Perhaps Eggs impregnated Tara with ... something ... ? Maybe that's why he's called "Eggs." And what was up with Maryann clawing the earth, then having her hands grow those three long fingers? Is that a characteristic of a Circe?
Lots of other interesting stuff in this episode:
I never really thought about it, but maybe Lazarus WAS the first vampire. Or maybe Jesus, since he brought Lazarus back from the dead, as Jason noted, then rose from the dead and told the people, "Hey, y'all, drink my blood. It'll give you special powers." Nor did it ever occur to me that "evil" was so named because it was created by Eve.
I think we can all agree that Jason is about the dumbest guy on the planet right now. He's walking right into a nightmare with creepy Steve and Sarah Newlin. I was just about to write that no one in MY church acts like Sarah when she was barbecuing for Steve and Jason, but then realized that he was just fantasizing about her licking the beer bottle and doing a striptease. I feel better now. Not really, though.
But it'll be interesting to see where it all leads (remember, I haven't read the books), what with Eric on the hunt for Godrick, the vampire who apparently has been abducted by the Light of Day folks. And now that Jason is a "Soldier of the Sun," I'm sure he'll be knee deep in the Godrick business.
Jessica continues to amuse me with her turned-on fangs. But also sadden me when she told Bill and Sookie that she hadn't even been kissed by a boy when she was turned by Bill. Had to laugh when Bill yelled at Hoyt to get out and then said, "It's not her that I'm protecting, son." And told Jessica, "We established there was to be no hunting in this house." He's like everyone's dad now.
- I don't know what to think of Daphne and her scratches, especially now that she and Sam are headed down the path of no return. At least now we know that she knows what he is. At least, that's what she told him at the party.
- Sookie wanting to take Jessica to Dallas, so Bill could teach her how to walk the line between vampire and human. "Yes, because I've mastered that so well," he said.
- Bill, responding to Sookie's thought that Light of Day is a church and thus wouldn't send someone to abduct her: "Churches have done much, much worse throughout history," he said.
- I'm sure Eric has other reasons for wanting to find Godrick, besides wanting to keep everything in balance: "If the vampires don't get Godrick back, they'll start attacking people," he told Bill. But Eric doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants to keep peace just for the sake of keeping peace.
- Lafayette feeding on Eric's blood in order to heal himself (let's not forget it's Eric who put Lafayette in that situation in the first place). But the act of Lafayette feeding was weirdly sexual, maybe because it's Lafayette. Or maybe because the act made him want to have sex with any and everything/one.
- Hmmm ... another mind-reader. Wonder what Sookie will do with this information ...
I look forward to reading your comments about this episode.