November 21, 2014

True Blood: Shake and Fingerpop

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jul 13th 2009 3:58AM
True Blood - Shake and Fingerpop

(S02E04) "Evil is making the pre-medicated choice to be a dick." - Jason

TV Squad has THE smartest readers on the Web. I'm even more sure of that after reading the comments about last week's episode, "Scratches."

Nancy said Maryann appears to be a Circe, and Crystal backed her up, noting, "Most notably, Circe turned Odysseus' crew into swine, but she had the power to concoct potions and cast spells to turn humans into any animal, which we saw when she forced Sam to shape shift against his will. Inviting her victims to a sumptuous feast to dispense her "Circean poison" is her classic trap."

There's no doubt that's exactly what happened in last night's episode, with Tara's birthday feast, culminating in Maryann doing her shaky thing that caused everyone to act like animals, whether they were smearing food all over themselves or having mad sex. Perhaps Eggs impregnated Tara with ... something ... ? Maybe that's why he's called "Eggs." And what was up with Maryann clawing the earth, then having her hands grow those three long fingers? Is that a characteristic of a Circe?

Lots of other interesting stuff in this episode:

I never really thought about it, but maybe Lazarus WAS the first vampire. Or maybe Jesus, since he brought Lazarus back from the dead, as Jason noted, then rose from the dead and told the people, "Hey, y'all, drink my blood. It'll give you special powers." Nor did it ever occur to me that "evil" was so named because it was created by Eve.

I think we can all agree that Jason is about the dumbest guy on the planet right now. He's walking right into a nightmare with creepy Steve and Sarah Newlin. I was just about to write that no one in MY church acts like Sarah when she was barbecuing for Steve and Jason, but then realized that he was just fantasizing about her licking the beer bottle and doing a striptease. I feel better now. Not really, though.

But it'll be interesting to see where it all leads (remember, I haven't read the books), what with Eric on the hunt for Godrick, the vampire who apparently has been abducted by the Light of Day folks. And now that Jason is a "Soldier of the Sun," I'm sure he'll be knee deep in the Godrick business.

Jessica continues to amuse me with her turned-on fangs. But also sadden me when she told Bill and Sookie that she hadn't even been kissed by a boy when she was turned by Bill. Had to laugh when Bill yelled at Hoyt to get out and then said, "It's not her that I'm protecting, son." And told Jessica, "We established there was to be no hunting in this house." He's like everyone's dad now.

• I don't know what to think of Daphne and her scratches, especially now that she and Sam are headed down the path of no return. At least now we know that she knows what he is. At least, that's what she told him at the party.
  • Sookie wanting to take Jessica to Dallas, so Bill could teach her how to walk the line between vampire and human. "Yes, because I've mastered that so well," he said.
  • Bill, responding to Sookie's thought that Light of Day is a church and thus wouldn't send someone to abduct her: "Churches have done much, much worse throughout history," he said.
  • I'm sure Eric has other reasons for wanting to find Godrick, besides wanting to keep everything in balance: "If the vampires don't get Godrick back, they'll start attacking people," he told Bill. But Eric doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants to keep peace just for the sake of keeping peace.
  • Lafayette feeding on Eric's blood in order to heal himself (let's not forget it's Eric who put Lafayette in that situation in the first place). But the act of Lafayette feeding was weirdly sexual, maybe because it's Lafayette. Or maybe because the act made him want to have sex with any and everything/one.
  • Hmmm ... another mind-reader. Wonder what Sookie will do with this information ...

I look forward to reading your comments about this episode.

Becky

Could Sarah Newlin, the Preacher's wife, also be a maenad or something like it?

July 14 2009 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

Another idea I had: Maryann doesn't want any of Tara's old friends or family to be close to her anymore. She verbally abused Tara's mom, and then she gets rid of the birthday present from Tara's mom at the party. From the TV Guide link, we know that Maryann is the maenad that attacked Sookie, which I would now think was to keep Sookie from Tara (by trying to kill Sookie), although it didn't work. Is there any chance that Maryann and the Light of Day Church have teamed up to get rid of Sookie? Didn't Sookie and Bill wonder how Light of Day knew that Sookie was arriving on that flight? Will Maryann go after Lafayette next? She went after Ms. Jeanette first, maybe as a warning to Tara. When will she go after Tara's mother?

July 14 2009 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

Lafayette's dance was hilarious. I think he's my favorite character. Not sure what Eric's intentions with him are. Eric always seems to be looking out for #1, even in this whole search for Godrich. The other mind-reader from the hotel will be important in the search for Godrich. Jason and Sookie will meet up again during this hunt for Godrich as well, and it won't be good. I'm assuming that Bill or another vampire might try to kill Jason, if the Light of Day Church doesn't get Sookie first. Sarah, the preacher's wife, is creepy and there's no good happening there. I think the writers are dropping some hints about her once being a vegetarian and I think it was mentioned that she and her now-abducted sister were friends with vampires in the past? Not sure, but she's obviously done quite a 180. I would love it if that were the Preacher in the adult tv quide at the hotel. He's definitely up to no good, besides wanting to kill vampires.

July 14 2009 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

I thought the episode didn't advance the story that much, but it did put the season in a certain direction. The episode was still amazing though. I have a full review and summary on my blog.

July 14 2009 at 2:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Holy cow, Corey - I think you're right about Steve being in the adult section on that TV in Sookie's hotel room. Very interesting twist there.

And great thoughts from everyone re Maryann, first vampires, etc.

Cdawg and Jason - Thanks for posting the TVGuide link. Great reading.

Anti-Believer - Mmm Hmmm.... :-)

July 13 2009 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Actor n LA

This was a great episode!!!!!!! I laughed several times.

Separately.... did you see Mechad Brooks bubble ass??? WOOO LAWD.

Hmm.... his azz.

(visualizing).... oh yeah, his azz!

DAMN, his azz!

July 13 2009 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corey D

When Sookie is looking through the adult section in the hotel room, is that Steve Newlin from Fellowship of the Sun in the photo? I've uploaded the screen capture for input.

July 13 2009 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Corey D's comment
MJG

I thought the exact same thing. Would be an interesting wrench to throw in his storyline.

July 13 2009 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I thought Barnabas Collins was the first vampire.

July 13 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

She told TV Guide that she's a maenad.

July 13 2009 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I agree with the Circe similarities. I thought this was a great episode. I wish Alan Ball would write them all.

July 13 2009 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply