November 28, 2014

Another Stephen King miniseries

by Brad Trechak, posted Jul 14th 2009 5:08PM
Stephen King's CellTelevision has done Stephen King miniseries before. I recall watching The Stand in its entirety. I could have sworn said he was going to retire from the business several years ago, yet he still keeps writing.

Mike Harrison (who wrote and directed the Sci Fi Channel's Dune miniseries) is working on a four-hour miniseries of the horror novel Cell for the Weinstein Company. Harrison has worked with King's material before on the movies Creepshow and Tales from the Darkside: the Movie.

Having never read Cell, it's difficult to have an opinion over whether this will evolve into a quality miniseries. There is some talent behind the show, so that's encouraging.

My first question is which channel would likely get to broadcast it? My first instinct is SyFy, since Harrison has a history with them, but this could go network. I eliminate the Horror Channel from consideration because they don't have as much exposure as the others.

For those who have read the book, what do you think? Would it be a good miniseries?

divineparasite

Forget SyFY, give it to FX

July 15 2009 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FoolishJim

I'm optimistic that this series will turn out well. That being said, I hope, like another commenter stated, that the series gets to a cable channel. I would add that it gets to a cable channel that isn't burdened with 5 minutes worth of commercials every 10 minutes.

I think the story is contemporary enough that it might have more success than Desperation did.

July 15 2009 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dr. Mom

"Cell" is a short book by Stephen King standards so it will probably translate well to tv. But I bet it will focus on the easy zombie plot and won't convey the political message of the book--that terrorism can turn survivors into monsters. Consider me a normie!

July 15 2009 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Four hours? Really?? This could be a two hour made-for-TV-movie, easily. There's just not that much detail that needs to be included. Get through the first half of the book in the first 40 minutes of the movie and you've got more than enough time to get into the interesting meat of the story and give it a satisfying, messed up conclusion.

July 15 2009 at 2:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

It's a metaphor for a crap movie.

July 14 2009 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I am actually looking forward to it more as a moniseries that I was a full fledged movie.

July 14 2009 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eirik

I read Cell when it came out. It starts out almost from the first page as a zombie movie with a twist, sorta like "28 Days Later", where the people aren't really dead but rather sick in some manner. After a while, the story changes from a traditional zombie style movie to something stranger.

I suppose that it could work as a miniseries, but I'm doubtful. I think this could be a bit like "The Langoliers" which had enough material for a good movie, but was stretched over two nights.

July 14 2009 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JBob

Ugh, what was the last King TV movie? Desperation? Ya... every King TV movie is horrible, except for The Stand, and it wasnt from lack of trying, so often im watching it and i just think "jeez this SUCH a tv movie!"

Anyways... the ending to cell was dumb anyways, call me when the dark tower series fires up. (speaking of dumb endings, boy were there a few bad decisions on king's part down the stretch)

July 14 2009 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Considering it was originally supposed to be made by Eli Roth into a movie (the guy that made the Hostel movies) I'm glad its a mini-series now. As long as it focuses mainly on the events after the pulse like book does and not on the pulse itself. Roth's vision was focus on the pulse (when everyone turns into the zombies) and show it all over the world happening, not from the main character's point of view like the book.

July 14 2009 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Scifi is pretty good with their event miniseries (Taken, Dune, Alice (hopefully))

I don't this would turn into one of their Saturday night movies.

July 14 2009 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply