October 20, 2014

Emmy Wish List: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 14th 2009 6:05PM
Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)I know what many of you are thinking. Alec Baldwin is probably gonna win for 30 Rock again so what does it even matter? Hollywood is in love with that show. Which is true, but not entirely undeserved. Baldwin still commands a scene like almost no one on television. But I don't think he was as dominating a comedic force as last year, and he was part of a 30 Rock sweep, so I don't think Emmy intends to repeat that.

Pushing Daisies was still sweet in its last year, but I'm going to have to snub Lee Pace and replace him with Chuck's Zachary Levi on the ballot. He balances comedy and drama so convincingly you can't help but root for him.

But there was a looming shadow in comedy this year that no one could escape. I don't see how Emmy could ignore the work of Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory. He's so convincing in the role that when you see him in interviews you fully expect him to demand his spot on the couch and condescend the host at every turn.

I compare Parsons' performance here to Neil Patrick Harris' Barney in How I Met Your Mother. It's a signature show-making performance and one of those rare moments when the stars align to combine the perfect role with the perfect actor. Without Parsons, Big Bang might not have made a second season. His portrayal is so over the top as to almost be cartoonish, but he manages to make it completely convincing nevertheless; and most importantly hilarious. Parsons performance is a key part of why a show about science nerds and comic books has penetrated the mainstream to become a bona fide hit.

I can't help but think that Charlie Sheen's nod last year was based more on the power of his name and the stature of his show as the top-rated sitcom. Tony Shalhoub is consistently amazing in Monk, but if Emmy wants to award him again they'll likely wait until next year to honor the last season of the show. Steve Carell is a perennial nominee but he didn't have a breakout year on The Office. I think there's room on the ballot to double up on the nerds, giving nods to both Zachary Levi and Jim Parsons. In the end, though, it was Parson's year. Luckily, Chuck has another year to make a run for it.

Lisa

I thought he was in the supporting category? Either way he is amazing and deserves a nom. It'll be tough though as I'm torn between him and NPH.

July 15 2009 at 7:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

Apparently you forgot that scrubs had its last season this past year and as usual zach braff was over the top funny, and IMO this season of the Office was a breakout season steve carell had many emotional performances this season with his relationship with holly which provided a lot of drama plus steve carell's been one of the funniest people on tv since the office began

July 14 2009 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

I love Jim parsons he is incredibly funny but he is a supporting character Johnny Galecki who plays leonard is the lead when the show began it was about him trying to woo penny so of course he's the lead, either way he'll lose to NPH

July 14 2009 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tony DIMeo's comment
Ruth

I think the cast and writers of Big Bang are brilliantly hilarious! When Jim Parsons was to be a guest on my fav late night talk show, I couldn't wait to see if he was "Sheldon" in real life! He is just too good in that character not to BE him! haha

July 15 2009 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Chuck is an entertaining show, but there is NO WAY Zachary Levi deserves an Emmy nomination.

Jim Parsons is incredible on Big Bang Theory. I don't think he is any more cartoonish than Niles was on Frasier.

Still, Alec Baldwin will be hard to beat.

July 14 2009 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph

Jim Parsons is amazing. I HOPE he wins, but I'm sure Emmy will go with the same old stale "winners" they always do. Sad, but true.

July 14 2009 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

i agree he was hilarious . my favourite scene when i saw this i was nearly in tears

July 14 2009 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply