September 2, 2014

Nurse Jackie: Tiny Bubbles

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jul 14th 2009 7:21AM
Nurse Jackie - Tiny Bubbles

(S01E06) "Nonsense. Nothing is better if I leave." - O'Hara to Nurse Jackie

Come on, people! I'm not getting much comment love on my Nurse Jackie reviews. Is no one watching the show? Because I'm sort of loving it at this point.

Well, I guess it had to happen. It was a sure bet that we'd get a storyline where Jackie plays Dr. Kevorkian and helps a patient end their life. I have to think there's no way that crusty old Nurse Korsenowski would have done well in palliative care. Why not let her go out in dignity?

Jackie is all about breaking the rules for the good of the patient, but was this really for the good of the patient? I think it was, and the "do no harm" thing would have been if she hadn't helped her die. It would have done more harm for her to go into hospice. Thoughts, please!

So Dr. Cooper has two moms! And they're Blythe Danner and Swoosie Kurtz! Talk about the luck of the draw! And, apparently, his Tourette's is a real-live thing -- I wondered about that -- along with OCD, since he said the kids made fun of him in school.

Other stuff:

• So the cat-ball guy came back with more feline wounds. I'm with Nurse Korsenowski on this one. The guy needs to get rid of the cat.
  • I liked Zoey's little speeches to Eddie and Dr. O'Hara, especially with Nurse Jackie standing right behind her.
  • So Jackie's in good enough with the other health care folks that they'll give her morphine to help someone die? Interesting.
  • I wonder if Eddie had something going with Nurse Korsenowski when he was giving her Percocet, too. The guy's got quite a nice little side charity/business going there.
  • Loved the ending when Jackie went to Nurse Korsenowski's apartment and found everything packed up. She was nothing if not prepared.
  • Not enough Mo-Mo in this ep for me.

I await your witty and insightful comments.

patrickj88

Judith Ivey was BRILLIANT as dying nurse Paula... when she dug into her purse and pulled out her finger I almost fell off the couch. I hope this performance is remembered at next years emmys... BY FAR one of the greatest guest roles in recent years

July 22 2009 at 7:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl

I haD NEEN REALLY ENJOYING THIS NEW SERIES. But this episode, with the assisted suicide and lesbian"moms " for doctor 'grab=a-tit' are quite possibly my last episode. I will most likely drop showtime now since they are following CBS and ABC IN either dropping or ruining a sdries.

July 20 2009 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elisabeth

Since you're looking for comment love, I'll give you some. This is the only show I can get my husband to watch with me. He LOVES it. We look forward to it. It's awesome. And this episode was particularly thought-provoking.
Yeah, this series is 5-stars in my book.

July 18 2009 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

I think I'm going to dig just a little deeper and maybe get nowhere: Cat Ball guy, I'm assuming is not just being attacked by a cat. I feel like the audience needs more to cling to. Maybe he has a bad boyfriend and doesn't want to admit it. I haven't read earlier posts, but why does Jackie hide that she's married at the hospital? Why does she fool around with Eddie and have a seemingly happy marriage at home? Why the double life? I have to believe that there's more character development to come in order to keep this show going. Anna Devere Smith as Mrs. Akalitis is awesome.

July 16 2009 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mika

I have to agree. This show does keep getting better. This episode was soo funny and sad at the same time. Nurse Jackie definitely did the right thing by letting Nurse K die with dignity. Also, Dr. Cooper's mother saying "for so much pain, it does look like much". lol. No wonder he loves the other mother more. Soo much laughter and tears. Love this show and cast.

July 14 2009 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamored8907

I thought the first episode was aweful but it keeps getting better week after week! And why doesnt the cat guy just get the cat declawed?? I would have (and did) gotten my cat declawed asap if it did something half as bad. Declawing is much better than killing it

July 14 2009 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Norm

I agree with you. Nurse Jackie and Rescue Me are the only two "must see" tv shows left.

July 14 2009 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason B

I like this show, but find the characters too unbelievable.

July 14 2009 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daune Calovini

I did like this episode... just half of an hour, and I laughed out loud (at Zoey and O'Hara) and got mad (I thought Eddie was mean to Zoey, that seemed weird) and cried, at the end, of course. Poor tough old bird.

Funny to see cat ball come back, and I suspect we'll see more of him. I liked the whole deal about Swoosie saying she got to do the fun stuff, because the other Mom wanted them to bond. That's real.

And, Akalitis is awesome. Also real, that she, as a hardass administrator, comes in for an off-shift, because she noticed Jackie schedules people she likes to work with her, and she wants to make sure they're working. Oh yeah. And they STILL got over on her. Which makes all us little people feel victory!

This show is what I wanted HawthoRNe to be, and in half the time commitment. Love it more every single week.

July 14 2009 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Actor n LA

Nurse Jackie is SO WELL WRITTEN!!!

Hilarious! I laugh every episode!

Boss Akalitus is too funny! Always pushing her authority :-)

July 14 2009 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply