April 24, 2014

Discovery renews Pitchmen

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 15th 2009 12:04PM
PitchmenWhen Billy Mays died a couple of weeks ago, we were trying to figure out what exactly Discovery was going to do about their show Pitchmen. Would they cancel the show? Renew it with just Anthony Sullivan as the star? Try to find another pitchman (or woman)? Turns out it's going to be none of those things.

Instead, the show is going to continue with the addition of Mays' son, Billy Mays III. No word yet if the younger Mays will step into the co-host role with Sullivan or be involved in other ways, but I'm sure he'll have at least some on-screen role.

steven

Billy Mays seemed liked a really nice person and if you all watched the show pitchmen you all should have been able to see that, duh!

July 16 2009 at 4:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sue

Fiona must be one of those liberal haters.I really liked Billy. He helped a lot of people out and I did not find him annoying.Fiona is probably one of those mean persons who persecuted Sarah Palin and her family. the left have no scruples, ethics,or any other redeeming features.

July 16 2009 at 1:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fiona

Oh geez...it's called "cashing in". But then, since these guys push so much crap that so many unsuspecting suckers buy is it any surprise these people would try and pitch Mays' son to the public? As for Mays in the first place? Just plain annoying...

July 15 2009 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

Billy was a true salesman. I really enjoyed watching Pitchmen and Billy Jr will be greatly missed. I think the idea of bringing Billy III into the program is a great idea. I think he could be a great pitchman and Anthony can help bring him there. I would love to see Billy III pitching items. I think it's in his blood. They showed him impersonating his father in one of the shows and I thought then that he could easily follow in hos fathers footsteps, he has the name, the character and a look people will recognize. With a little help from Sull and some of the other pitchmen that knew his father, I think you have a winner here Discovery, I know I will be watching every week...

July 15 2009 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anne

I live only a few blocks away from were he lives and would see him once and awhile. I will miss seeing his commercials. He always made me laugh. He had one of those faces that made you feel happy. He will be missed.

July 15 2009 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

Thanks, TV Squad, for continuing to cover Billy Mays and Pitchmen. It's much appreciated.

I am thrilled that the show will continue, and hope to see Billy III really step up. Hopefully they can keep some of the dramatic and comedic spark that Billy Jr. brought to the show (and to the industry).

July 15 2009 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Well, the stories of the inventors were always a big and compelling part of the show, so they can keep that going. It's the chemistry between Billy and Sully, though, that I think kept people tuning in. The relationship between Sully and Billy III is more like uncle and nephew than feuding brothers. And Billy III seems like a much more reserved guy than his dad.

What I can see happening is that Sully spends the season trying to turn Billy III into a pitchman, and Billy III struggling to find his own style and not just do an impersonation of his dad.

July 15 2009 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply