August 27, 2014

Emmy Wish List: Outstanding Comedy Series

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 15th 2009 12:27PM
Zachary Levi in ChuckThe Outstanding Comedy Series category is one of the toughest of the big Emmy categories to predict. Why? Well, if you look at the list of nominees the last few years, you'll see why: What's considered a comedy? In 2005, Desperate Housewives was nominated; with what's gone on during the show this year, you'd be hard pressed to nominate it as a comedy this year. Same could be said of Ugly Betty, which got a nod in 2007.

In addition, the Emmy committee has a tendency to nominate the same shows repeatedly despite signs of decline -- Two and a Half Men is still funny, but does it deserve a nod every year? -- leaving less slots open for new blood.

So, between Men, 30 Rock, and The Office, all of which should get nominated, that leaves two (or three?) slots open. Who should go in there? Well, I can think of two right off the bat... and they're both on CBS.

Emmy recognition for Rules of Engagement is long overdue, don't you think? Just kidding... I'm really talking about How I Met Your Mother. It's going into its fifth season, and as far as Emmy voters are concerned, the only thing that seems to stand out for them is the performance of Neil Patrick Harris. But the show's ever-growing legion of fans knows that the show is much more about the ensemble than about Barney Stinson. And, while the fourth season was an uneven one, it was still good enough to merit an Emmy nod.

The Big Bang Theory broke out this year, mostly on the shoulders of Jim Parsons (as Jason pointed out yesterday). Maybe the Emmy committee can switch one Chuck Lorre show for another and nominate this in place of Two and a Half Men.

Scrubs should get some recognition for what was a very strong "final" season (at least the final one as the original version of the show). It's been nominated in the past, so it's not like the Emmy folks are unfamiliar with it.

It's too bad that non-fiction comedy series are never considered for this category, because the strong election-related efforts by The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and Saturday Night Live should be recognized in a category that doesn't throw those shows in with variety and musical specials.

Finally, if the Academy really wanted to get creative, then they should nominate Chuck. As I've mentioned before, it's not like they've shied away from nominating hour-long shows in this category, and Chuck is more of a comedy than any of the ones they've nominated in the past. And this season was especially strong, mixing comedy, action, geek chic, excellent music choices, and a terrific storyline. It also had one of the few season finales that was not only climactic (I mean, the wedding shoot-'em-up scene was a classic) but left fans salivating to see what happens next ("I know kung fu." Worked on The Matrix, and it works here). Emmy loves low-rated charity cases (see Arrested Development) and Chuck seems to fit that bill perfectly.

So, what comedy would you want to see nominated? Let me know in the comments.

Paul

I love How I Met Your Mother..really hope it gets the nod. Here are more thoughts about one of my favorite current shows: http://thecorner33.blogspot.com/2009/08/underrated-part-ii.html

August 03 2009 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom W

I have to disagree with you on two and a half men. I think they are getting better, Allen and the banana bread has to be my favorite episode. It's there every year because it deserves to be.

July 24 2009 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bilko

I know when awards are given out it is supposed to be a celebration of the best and the brightest. A reward for the hard work all these folks do to bring a little laughter into our tough lives in tough times. That being said......

This is the worst list in the history of the Emmy's!!! For crying out loud. "How I Met Your Mother" is a POS. As is "Weeds and "Flight of the Concords." "Two and a HALF..." and "Big Bang..." is easily the funniest hour on TV and the ratings bear that to be true. "The Office" I wouldn't even consider a comedy anymore. "Family Guy" is a Simpson's wannabe. I work in the industry and know that Seth McFarland ordered his people to mass mail all persons who were the nominators. Shameful and desperate. Jim Parsons should easily snag Best Actor. But the worst snub was "Chuck."

July 16 2009 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I think the Big Bang Theory does have weak episodes but it's done a really good job handling the premise. This show could have easily gone wrong but the actors brought it out. Scrubs should get some love, but I don't see that happening. HIMYM needs the slot more than anything else. The 4th season was not it's best but at least it deserves to be recognized.

July 15 2009 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pinsleric

United States of Tara?

July 15 2009 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

my list is 30 rock big bang theory, how i met your mother the office scrubs and maybe entourage although their last season was pretty bad humor-wise I'm hoping they pick either scrubs or the office cause both those shows are long overdue for the gold statue

July 15 2009 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I think a good darkhorse would be Reaper.

July 15 2009 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I just HOPE that 30 Rock doesn't win again (it's a longshot to hope it won't get nominated). I think the only reason why 30 Rock has had such a streak is because it is specifically about the tv entertainment industry and who is on the Emmy committee?.....People in the tv entertainment industry. 30 Rock winning is just a big ego stroke for all of them.

I really think the top contenders this year should be Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. And I agree with "flighty"; Flight of the Conchords deserves a nod.

July 15 2009 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Chuck fans (and I am one) need to be happy the show got renewed -- not begging for Emmy nominations.

I like Big Bang Theory a lot, but I don't see 30 Rock losing.

July 15 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arclight

You keep forgetting that 50% of the American people don't find THE DAILY SHOW the least bit funny.

July 15 2009 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Arclight's comment
Dan

Um, plenty of people find the Daily Show to be funny...it's certainly better than "According to Jim" or "Everybody Loves Raymond".

Chuck totally deserves Emmy nominations, it was clearly the best non-Dexter show on TV this year.

I'm hoping BETTER OFF TED breaks in to the crowd with the next season, I love that show.

July 15 2009 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply