July 24, 2014

Emmy Wish List: Outstanding Drama Series

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jul 15th 2009 9:06AM
NCIS
Let's assume that there will be six nominees in the Best Drama category again this year, shall we? It wouldn't surprise me that five out of the six series that were nominated last year are once again nominated this year. Let's face it, Damages, Dexter, House, Lost and Mad Men are still powerhouse drama series and didn't let us down too much this past season.

Since Boston Legal, which was nominated last year, was canceled, it leaves space for another drama series to make its way to the nominees list. Which drama should get the spot?

One part that's tricky it's knowing which series are considered as dramas when the Emmys are concerned. The Futon Critic website and I believe that Desperate Housewives and Pushing Daisies should fall into that category but it seems that we are wrong. If those two were in the drama category, I would vote for one of these series to be nominated as best drama as they offered strong series in the 2008-2009 TV season. Since they are considered comedies, I have to find another choice.

My wish, as you can guess from the above picture, is that the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences gives some lovin' to CBS's NCIS. This past season of NCIS offered strong episodes that included drama, mystery, action, fantastic acting, laughters and cliffhangers. Most, if not all, episodes were well edited, scripted and acted.

The season also offered us more backstory on Gibbs, including a well-played appearance by his father, and Ziva as well as introduced a new NCIS team (aka the spin off titled NCIS: Los Angeles), while continuing to develop the characters' past and relationships. Not a lot of crime dramas have engaging characters for which we actually care about and get attached to. Kudos for NCIS and its cast for achieving that.

NCIS is one of the most watched series on TV and it's about time its stellar ensemble cast be rewarded.

Do you agree with my pick? If so, why do you think NCIS should be nominated? If you don't agree, which drama series do you think should be nominated in the Best Drama category?

authenticonlinemarketing

I agree NCIS is one of the most interested series on TV .

September 06 2009 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
authenticonlinemarketing

I agree NCIS is one of the most interested series on TV and it's about time its astral ensemble cast be rewarded.
authenticonlinemarketing

September 06 2009 at 7:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
contract hospitality staff

I agree, NCIS should be in those categories that are the Best Dramatic Series.

August 31 2009 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keri

i given up on my shows being noimated i Keeped hoping for years that the guy that plays dr cox on scrubs would get noimateed and there is no caterogry for sci fi shows that i think there should i am dissapointed that ncis has never been noimateed i would of thought by now that mark harmon would have been so i thought would have been micheal weatherly as i said i given up on watching the emmy because there is no surprises on who gets noimateed there is always the same people and yeas there is a surprise one once in a while but you know they will never win because it is the only the same people every single year

August 09 2009 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

It seems to me they keep picking the same people and the same shows for the Emmy awards. It would be a refreshing change to consider others for these awards. I agree, NCIS should be in that category for Best Dramatic Series.

July 17 2009 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

I totally agree, that NCIS should be given an Emmy, or at least, a nomination for one. This is a well-written, well-acted show, with lots of suspense and drama, plus comedy, and some great cliff-hangers. Their 6th season, which just ended in May, was one of their best so far. Why aren't they considered for an award, or nomination? But at least we, all their fans, and there are millions of us, know that even if they don't win an award, they are still Number 1 in our eyes!

July 17 2009 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I too think that NCIS is one of the top shows on TV, a real show that is. While not a reality show, its ratings only goes up each week which must be as a result of its great storylines and great acting by its cast. While not doom & gloom serious for a full 60 minutes like the other CSI shows, they will throw in fantastic jokes and barbs by the cast while they're solving a murder.

This past season, Mark Harmon also added producer and the show didn't lessen in the enjoyment level. Hes also a very good actor so why hes not nominated for either role is another mystery to me. Then, the rest of the cast like David McCallum, Micheal Weatherly, Cote dePablo, Sean Murray, Brian Dietzen are also fine actors. But there was another that I think should have been nominated for Actress and thats Pauly Perrette. She plays the goofy but smart and loveable Forensics Scientist.

I'm afraid that I'd rather watch NCIS, any episode any season, before any of the other shows that were nominated for emmys. Others may have other favorite shows but based upon the ratings, I'm not the only one that watches NCIS either!

July 17 2009 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

Well Isabelle if TV squad hired you to be a tv writer you should at least have basic cable so you can comment on all the shows

July 15 2009 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tony DIMeo's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Remember that I'm from Canada so some of the US networks that you get on basic cable, we don't get here. I have more than basic cable and have added a few US networks. Sadly, some are still not available through my cable provider such as FX and HBO. I've already written to my provider as I know I'm not their only subscriber who would love to have access to more US networks.

July 15 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
diane4u

I agree with Isabelle, I also leave in Canada and I also paid to get addition channels on TV. However, I have never seen some of there shows. I tried to watch House and Lost and couldn't get into them and the others I don't get.
So I think NCIS should win. It has everything like action, drama, mystery. You don't find out who does it until the last 10 mins of the show. However, getting to that part sometimes get me on the edge of my seat. For the other shows like House and Lost and the other that I can't see I put them all behind NCIS.

Diane

July 16 2009 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

Sigh... Supernatural will never get nominated.

Anyway as to your Desperate Housewives and Pushing Daisies debacle, I strongly feel the Academy should open a dramedy section. That way these shows will have a fighting chance. Up against really dramatic shows like Mad Men and Lost, they just don't seem to fit.

If you want to nominate NCIS, I also want to nominate Burn Notice and their cast.

July 15 2009 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Heather's comment
Isabelle Carreau

I agree with you with the addition of a dramedy category. A lot of shows fall in that category nowadays.

July 15 2009 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

How could you not mention breaking bad true blood big love these are all very underrated dramas that deserve to get an award at the emmys i mean cranston already won the emmy and anna paquin already won a golden globe for true blood so how could you not nominate these brilliant hit shows they deserve all they can get

July 15 2009 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tony DIMeo's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Sadly, I don't have the channel that airs Breaking Bad and True Blood. Thanks for mentioning them. It wouldn't be surprising, from the comments left on our site, that one of these gets a mention.

July 15 2009 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply