November 23, 2014

Emmy Wish List: Supporting Categories - Drama

by Allison Waldman, posted Jul 15th 2009 3:26PM
Emmy_statueTalk about a wealth of choices! When it comes to the Primetime Emmys in the supporting actor and actress categories for drama, there are a plethora of worthy candidates. Some shows, like Mad Men or Lost, for instance, have multiple choices in the supporting ranks, especially since these ensembles seem to have a hard time determining who's really the lead.

Earlier, I shared my wish list for the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama nominations, and I mentioned that Chloe Sevigny from Big Love would be a deserving selection. A TV Squad reader let me know that Chloe has actually been submitted in the supporting category. Good to know, and with that in mind, I'll start my wish list by talking about that category. (Remember, there are six nominees per category.)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
What a category! There are too many choices, too many fantastic actresses to trim the list to just six. For starters, Chloe Sevigny of Big Love has to be included, especially now that I know she's in this category. Both Rachel Griffiths and Calista Flockhart were great on Brothers & Sisters. But the Mad Men duo of Christina Hendricks and Elisabeth Moss were perhaps even better. As the beleaguered President Allison Taylor on 24, Cherry Jones, is likely to be included, and last year's winner in this category, Dianne Wiest for In Treatment, is a given.

That said, my wish list for nominations starts with Anna Gunn of Breaking Bad. She was simply amazing opposite Bryan Cranston. Another wild card choice -- but not to me -- is Anne Dudek as Amber in House. Rounding out the nominees, Chloe Sevigny, Big Love; Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men; Rose Byrne for Damages; Calista Flockhart, Brothers & Sisters.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
The five actors nominated last year, including winner Zeljko Ivanek from Damages, are all practically sure things for getting nods again. That includes William Shatner for Boston Legal, John Hurt instead of Ted Danson for Damages, John Slattery for Mad Men and Michael Emerson for Lost. They are all worthy and a couple are on my wish list.

The name that has to be included this year is Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul. His performance was shattering and heartbreaking at the same time. In a similar way, so was Walton Goggins on The Shield. And for sheer villainy -- although was he really a bad guy after all? -- Carlos Bernard was brilliant on 24.

My wish list? Aaron Paul, Carlos Bernard, John Slattery, Michael Emerson ... and two surprises. Robert Sean Leonard for House, and Josh Holloway for Lost. For Leonard, he's long overdue for a nomination as Hugh Laurie's straight man. As for Josh, he really upped the ante with his performance on Lost this past year and deserves to be honored.

Those are my overall supporting Emmy nominations; what are yours? Share your thoughts in the comments, TV Squad readers!

C C

Amanda Seyfried has been terrific on Big Love. She's more of a true "supporting" actress than either Chloe Sevigny or Ginnifer Goodwin, who are really leads. I don't see her in the running, though she is one of the "it" girls right now.

July 15 2009 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Markeer

Top of my wish list for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama has to be Jimmy Smits' absolutely amazing performance this year in "Dexter". He brought so many layers to his character he dominated the season, which says a lot given the incredibly high acting standards for that show.

July 15 2009 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

and Anna gunn should be nominated as a lead actress IMO if the character is married to a main character then that makes them a main character also

July 15 2009 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

there's one incredible actress you left out Amanda Seyfried from Big Love in that episode where she had a miscarriage on family trip she gave such an emotional performance, but i do agree about aaron paul john slattery liz moss, john mahoney and alison pill who deserves the nom but might not

July 15 2009 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RT

I agree I think Rose Byrne is finally going to crack the supporting role category. I also would like to see Alison Pill, Chloe Sevigny, and Christina Hendricks

July 15 2009 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Elizabeth Moss went Lead, which I don't believe was the wisest idea. With both Moss and January Jones fighting for spots in that category, there's a possibility they'll cancel each other out. Strategically, the Big Love actresses should have better chances, with Jeanne Tripplehorn going Lead and Chloe Sevigny and Ginnifer Goodwin going Supporting. But Mad Men is so popular, Moss and Jones might get in anyway. Who knows.

John Mahoney and Alison Pill were outstanding in In Treatment this season. Mahoney should get nominated. Pill probably won't make the cut, which will be a shame.

July 15 2009 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

*Spoiler Alert* Zeljko Ivanek died in the first season of Damages and was only in a couple of flashbacks in season two, thus it would be a surprise if he got nominated again.

July 15 2009 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

Finally! Some love for Robert Sean Leonard! Hopefully my annual campagin for him to get a nod will pay off.

July 15 2009 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply