July 26, 2014

Who's going to win The Next Food Network Star?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 15th 2009 6:36PM
The Next Food Network StarIt seems like The Next Food Network Star just started, but here we are already down to the final four contestants. One of these people - Jamika, Melissa, Jeffrey, or Debbie - is going to have their own show on the channel. The season finale is only three episodes away. Who do you think is going to win? Who do you think should win?

Who's going to win The Next Food Network Star?
Debbie122 (15.2%)
Jeffrey260 (32.4%)
Melissa367 (45.8%)
Jamika53 (6.6%)

Who SHOULD win The Next Food Network Star?
Debbie66 (8.7%)
Jeffrey289 (38.3%)
Melissa351 (46.5%)
Jamika49 (6.5%)

Imelda Carrera

Jeffrey-Since the beginning of the show ,he displayed
cool ,calm manner in his cooking tecmique. his showmanship and delegating assignment were appropriate, his dishes had been agreeable to the judges
taste. I really think he will be the next food star. he is also
casually nice looking, & presentable to the audience.
He just need to be more perky- I know he can do it. (if your comment is made known to him) Imelda

July 23 2009 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peaches

DID ANYONE BESIDES ME NOTICE THAT DEBBIE PUT HER CHICKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE PACK INTO THE SAUCE W/OUT WASHING THE CHICKEN? EEEEWWWWW......"RESTAURANT CONSULTANT", DOES SHE CONSULT ON CLEANING YOUR FOOD B4 YOU COOK IT?

July 18 2009 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

From the judges comments over the las couple of weeks, it appears to me that it's Melissa's contest to lose. They all but anointed her last week during the final judging, despite not being entirely in love with her dishes.

To me, she seems to be very superficial and less than genuine, and at times comes across as condescending as well. But, she manages to do it with a gloss of wholesomeness and polish that may make it palatable to viewers.

If she were to stumble badly, Jeffrey would be the next most likely candidate if he can pull it together again. Even Debbie could have a chance if she can manage to cast aside her martyrdom crutch.

If it were left to me, I would go with Jeffrey as the one with the most potential to handle a show well and do it with a really engaging and unique personality.

July 16 2009 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jffm's comment
Michael

I like Jeffery but his food is always soooo BORING... Virtually everything he makes is just a variation of something hot and spicy - except none of the judges can seem to find any of the heat he's supposedly adding to his dishes. He hasn't exactly come out and told us very much about himself either. I like his energy but he has been very slow to improve very much.

Melissa on the other hand has taken to this competition like a duck to water. I commented to my wife last week that she has come so far. I think it was the second show when she made the comment that she just wasn't used to using any of the equipment found in a commercial kitchen and now she's old hat at it all. Even the judges commented about how fast she picks up on what they say to her and that she is someone they could really polish up easily. As was said here, its her competition to lose and I don't think she's going to.

July 16 2009 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shamon

Jeffrey all the way he really good and im pretty sure Jamika leaving next she been failing alot after a good start .

July 15 2009 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

Before last week's episode I would have thought Debbie had an excellent chance of winning this competition because she brought a refreshing POV, but with her actions last week I think the judges are really turned off. If her food hadn't been so good I think they would have booted her.
I like Jeffrey, but I don't know if he could sustatin a long-form series. I also don't find his food all that interesting.
Jamika, like Debbie, has an interesting culinary POV, but something has been off with her over the last two episodes. I find myself wondering if she has it in her to make it to the finish line.
Melissa has been the most surprising to me. Not that her culinary POV is something new, but because she has really come out of her shell over the last few episodes. Moreover, she has an interesting life story and surprisingly her food is good. I'm not sure if he can win the whole thing, but I really believe she has a much better chance than when she began the process.

July 15 2009 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply