October 22, 2014

Nobody's listening, so NBC is putting The Listener back on the shelf

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 16th 2009 3:26PM
The ListenerPulling in anemic ratings week after week, despite a lot of promotion for the series, it's no real surprise that NBC is pulling The Listener off the air. They're leaving it on the air for two more episodes, but come July 30, it's another Law & Order repeat slot.

I made it through exactly one episode of The Listener and then decided that I just couldn't bring myself to care. Despite a dramatic car crash and a missing child, I still found the first episode kind of boring. And Craig Olejnik just isn't very engaging in the lead.

I'm usually pretty patient with a new show, and it's pretty rare that I actively dislike a show right from the beginning. On paper, The Listener should have been the kind of show I do like; I'm a sucker for the supernatural. Maybe NBC was hoping it could be their new Medium, though it looks more like they were just hoping for something to prop up a few hours through the summer.

Lexy

The last couple of weeks I have been waiting for the Listener and found out it was canceled. What the heck, a show I finally like and it's put on the back shelf??? There are so many other shows that should be canned first. This one was on the same track as Medium, Ghost Whisperer . . .They've made it - so should Listener.

August 24 2009 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jodi

I never heard of the show while it was on tv but came across it on the computer and started to watch it. I thought it was great!!!! Only to find out that it's cancelled.........Does Toby ever find his mother? They need just one more episode (maybe 2... I would like to see him find his brother too) reuniting him with his mother!!!!!!

August 11 2009 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ThoMc

In the first episode the hard headed, verbally abusive cop turned out to be a woman. OK, conflict is good and the cop has to be shown that the hero really has the goods to help her make her case. Episode two, et al, this "don't mess with my case" attitude is not only a boring cliche, it is ridiculous. If one woman kicking you in the cajones isn't enough, the hero also had a second - a doctor no less. Appears The Listener wasn't too good at listening.

July 17 2009 at 6:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

My wife and I like the show. If anything, our only gripe is that they stretch believability sometimes (not the mind reading part, the character interaction and reaction to events part). We're still watching it however. Fortunately I just found the full season on bittorrent, so NBC can go ahead and do whatever the hell they want - we're good, and while we enjoy the show, they can waste everyone's time with more crap like I'm a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here!

July 17 2009 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

"Craig Olejnik just isn't very engaging in the lead."

But he's so pretty, and has great hair! Not much personality, true, but shows have gotten by with less.

July 16 2009 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Yokley

Hmmmm, Wonder if CTV in Canada will be airing the remaining episodes??

July 16 2009 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I've watched every episode (all, like, 5 of them) and the show is ok. It's not bad, and it's not great or anything. It's summer fare, and an import at that. The writing is weak, if anything.

It's one of the few shows left on my DVR this summer, but I guess I can't say I'll be sorry to see it go.

July 16 2009 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AngryBob

Yeah, another "Law and Order" - and another show I've managed to avoid.

July 16 2009 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply