December 21, 2014

Some random thoughts on the Emmy nominations

by Allison Waldman, posted Jul 16th 2009 2:44PM
Emmy_statue_ATASNow that the excitement has died down, I've been scouring the complete list of nominations. Here's a few observations... Then, let me know what you think.

-- Why bother with the Outstanding Mini-Series category? There were only two nominees worthy of a nomination. Exactly how many mini-series are even produced anymore? This is an outmoded TV format. Kill the category.

-- What's going on with the writers? 30 Rock dominates the comedy category and Mad Men dominates the drama category. What are the chances that the lone nomination in each category wins? I'd say slim and none. I call for limitations; only two episodes per series. Writing is such a subjective thing anyway. If you like 30 Rock's scattershot humor, you're more likely to vote for it compared to a traditional sitcom like Big Bang Theory. The latter should have snagged a nom for The Lizard-Spock Expansion episode.

-- I'm thrilled that Big Love was nominated for Outstanding Drama Series, but not a single actor was recognized, nor were the writers and directors. That doesn't make any sense.

-- It was great to see Breaking Bad in the Outstanding Drama Series, too. And I'm happy for Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul. It's a sin, however, that Vince Gilligan was not recognized for his writing.

-- It's a good thing to have the word "America" in your title. American Experience, American Masters and This American Life were all nominated -- against each other -- in the Outstanding Nonfiction Series category.

-- How can you lump a narrator with a voice-over actor? I don't know, but somehow Brothers & Sisters' Ron Rifkin is nominated for narrating the Jerome Robbins' documentary on PBS in the same category as Seth MacFarlane's Peter Griffin on Family Guy, Seth Green as a bunch of Robot Chicken characters, and three actors playing roles on The Simpsons (Hank Azaria as Moe, Harry Shearer as Mr. Burns, Dan Castellaneta as Homer). Ron is a great actor, but as a narrator, what shot does he have against those other guys?

Tony DIMeo

the thing that angered me the most was that Scrubs had a fantastic-ly funny and heartfelt final season and finale and did not get a nomination, I think scrubs should have won years ago in its 4th or 5th season but instead they gave it to the finale of "Everybody Loves Raymond" so i thought if the academy sees scrubs' finale they would love it and nominate it like with the Raymond finale but nothing no nominations although scrubs finale was way better than Raymond's because it was not cheesy or too sentimental. It's heartbreaking too because this was the last chance scrubs had at emmys and they got nothing but "Family Guy" got nominated. this proves how dumb the academy CAN be.

July 18 2009 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

The Emmys are a joke. "How I Met Your Mother," one of THE worst shows on television, nominated for best comedy series? Please.

July 17 2009 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

RuPaul's Drag Race wuz robbed. Kudos to the Big Love cast.

July 16 2009 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph

Big Bang Theory should have been nominated over Family Guy. I like Family Guy, but it has NOT been as good as in previous years. Big Bang is an absolute classic in the making.

July 16 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ralph's comment
Dan

Family Guy isn't even as good as American Dad anymore. I used to LOVE Family Guy (remember the episode where Stewey went into Peter's body to kill off his sperm?) but the show has become almost unwatchable lately. The decline in quality mirrors that of The Simpsons, but both continued to be gushed over by the Emmys for some reason.

Chuck, BSG, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Scrubs and The Big Bang Theory all got the shaft.

July 17 2009 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Age-K

I agree with the writing limitation comment. But as far as the mini-series comment goes, there are still plenty of mini-series and some very good ones too. I remember being very torn over which ones I was rooting for last year. There are some years with a lot of good mini-series and some years that aren't.

July 16 2009 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

Every time I think I'm over Bear McCreary getting snubbed for his truly original and genius Battlestar Galactica score a fresh wave of rage overcomes me. Especially considering the shows that did get nominated. I really think the Emmy voters must have been on crack. Or been paid. The stupid, it burns.

July 16 2009 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

Sucks that Elizabeth Mitchell didn't get a supporting actress nod. But there are always snubs, so oh well. =

July 16 2009 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

I agree about the limit on the writing categories for comedy and drama though I'm a huge fan of Mad Men i feel that 4 noms for one show is too many. Big love deserves nom for the "Come all ye saints" and Breaking Bad should have been nominated for their "Peakaboo" episode

July 16 2009 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

Agree with the limitation on writing nods. I mean 4 out of 5 for Mad Men?! What the frack? As for voice over why is there no Jim Dale?

July 16 2009 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

I was hoping one of the USA (besides Monk) would get a nod... In Plain Sight, Burn Notice, something...

July 16 2009 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply