August 23, 2014

The other game show titled Wipeout

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 16th 2009 7:04PM
Yes, I'll admit it. I love Wipeout. Last night I was thinking there should be a Celebrity Wipeout. Wouldn't that be great? I can think of some celebs I'd like to see get wet, whacked in the face, or fall down hard.

But the ABC game show isn't the first game show to be called Wipeout. There was a short-lived syndicated game show in the late 1980s with the same name, hosted by Peter Tomarken (Press Your Luck). Here is an entire episode, thanks to YouTube.

John

I used to have the computer version of this game, it was fun

July 17 2009 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

took a break from watching the Big Brother 11 24/7 live feeds to watch the original Wipeout which I never remember seeing on Tv so Mark in suit with sneakers could have been a little more quicker on his feet in the game for the vehicle

July 17 2009 at 3:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

I miss the Whammies.

July 17 2009 at 3:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TMBG

There were other wipeouts, most notably a British version that lasted for 8 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout_(1988_game_show)
The success of the British version is the reason why the British version of wipeout is called "Total Wipeout"

July 16 2009 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Great minds think alike. I had been thinking about a celebrity Wipeout too.

There are some people I'd want to see on it so bad, I'd buy it as a pay-per-view show, and I never do those.

July 16 2009 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aml

Sorry, I am getting tired. It's been a long day. Of course it came after Press Your Luck, which was made in the early 1980s.

July 16 2009 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Aml's comment
Mark "The Hobo" Watson

I have two game shows titled Wipeout:

Peter Tomarken (1988-1989)

Johns Anderson and Henson (2008-present)

August 23 2009 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aml

I haven't watch the clips yet, but the board in the second clip looks like the one for Press Your Luck only with fewer boxes. Was this game show made after Press Your Luck?

July 16 2009 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply