July 31, 2014

Walter Cronkite dead at 92

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 17th 2009 8:45PM
Walter CronkiteOK, if you were to pick the weekend that Walter Cronkite died, you couldn't have picked a more ironic, odd weekend for it to happen.

Cronkite was a huge fan of the space program, and he was incredibly giddy during CBS news coverage of the first moon landing in 1969. And here we are on the 40th anniversary of that very mission. Reminds me of when Charles Schulz died, hours before the very last Peanuts cartoon ran.

Cronkite was a journalist during World War II (he was on a lot of bombing runs and was at Normandy) and became the anchor of The CBS Evening News in 1962. He retired from that position in 1982 and went on to write columns, magazine articles, give speeches, and host various documentaries. Cronkite died today at the age of 92 of cerebrovascular disease.

I wonder if they'll keep him as the narrator on the present CBS Evening News with Katie Couric.

Jeff N.

Walter Cronkite was such a natural at doing the news.
His voice and sincerity were perfect for an Anchorman.
I always felt he retired way too early. He could of done the news at least till he was 70.
That clip of Walter announcing John F. Kennedy had passed away as he takes off his glasses gets to me every time I see it.

July 19 2009 at 3:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rex from Ars

"Irony" is an outcome the opposite of what was expected.

Cronkite's death on the eve of the Apollo landings isn't "ironic", it's "coincidental".

July 18 2009 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Rex from Ars's comment
Dean

I was expecting to read a comment about a master of the English language, but instead found a lesson on grammer.

How ironic.

July 18 2009 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Secret Asian Man

Thank you, Tunaman. It annoys me when people incorrectly use irony to describe coincidence.

MDR, that still isn't irony. Getting hit by an ambulance is irony. An airplane pilot who's afraid of heights is irony. Sarcasm is a form of irony.

July 18 2009 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Ann Stone

Walter was an anchor for CBS, but he was an anchor to my family. When I was eleven years old, I remember sitting in front of our black and white television set with my father, mother, and two brothers when he announced the passing of President Kennedy and our landing on the moon. Both times tears flowed down our faces, tears of sadness for President Kennedy and tears of joy for our accomplishment. His message was informative and his voice was soothing. Everyday he brought my family together to share our feelings and discuss events happening in our country and far away places. He was an anchor to my family because he provided quality sharing time which brought us closer together as a family. Yes, he is an icon not only to the world of broadcasting, but he will always be an icon to my family. We will truly miss him.
Mary Ann
Mary Ann

July 18 2009 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sri

Wow, another famous person to leave. Walter (referred to as "Uncle Walt") was a great man that knew how to deliver news. I wish these noobs nowadays had such skills. Prayers to Walter's family and friends. In his memory, for his fans I have collected some great sites and articles (more than 200) to know all about Walter Cronkite. If you are interested take a look at the below link

July 18 2009 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aml

It gets even stranger, we also recently remembered the 10 year anniversary of JFK, Jr.'s death, which was the same day as the Apollo launch. Granted it was the son of JFK, but it is still odd that Walter Cronkite's death was so close to it.

Also while Cronkite was retired for almost 10 years when I was born, he will be missed. I was shocked when I learned that he had died, it may be naive but he was one of those people who I just though would live forever.

July 18 2009 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

The epitome of integrity and class. I can't imagine there ever being another quite like Walter Cronkite. R.I.P.

July 18 2009 at 6:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeannemarie

"and that's the way it is..." we have lost a true icon in the world of news broadcasters. rip walter cronkite.

July 18 2009 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam Lowry

He was The News for me.

July 17 2009 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BETTY RODRIGUEZ

I WOULD NOW LIKE TO THANK MR.WALTER CRONKITE FOR SO MANY WONDERFUL YEAR'S OF TV AND NEW'S WORTHY STORIES THAT COULD ONLY BE TOLD BY HIM AND NO ONE ELSE.WHEN HE WAS ON THEIR WAS NO REASON TO TURN TO ANY OTHER CHANNEL CAUSE YOU KNEW WHEN HE TALKED THE WORLD WAS LISTEN,AND TO HIS FAMILY MY BLESSINGS GO OUT TO AND TO HIS MEMORY,GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND KNOW THAT NOW HE IS KEEPING GOD AND THE HEAVEN'S ENTERTAINED AS HE DID WITH US.GOD BLESS YOU MR.WALTER CRONKITE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FROM A VERY LOYAL LISTENER AND FRIEND,,,,,,,BETTY

July 17 2009 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BETTY RODRIGUEZ

EVEN WITH MR.WALTER CRONKITE DEAD KATIE COURIC COULD NOT HOLD A CANDLE TO HIM OR EVER BE AS GOOD AS HIM.

July 17 2009 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply