November 26, 2014

Guess why the new KFC commercial irritates the hell out of me

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 20th 2009 3:31PM
I thought that, as I got older, I'd mellow out when it came to illogical commercials, but that hasn't happened. I see something in an ad and it irritates the hell out of me every time I see it (and when you watch TV for a living you see the same commercials 20 times a day). So guess why the new KFC "Unthink" commercial irritates me so much. It has nothing to do with the quality of the meal or the price or the arrogance of the two guys eating the chicken.

Hint: think about what you have for lunch every day. Answer later today!

Bob Sassone

Answer: the reason why it irritates me is this: what if the guy doesn't like chicken? Or maybe he simply doesn't want chicken for lunch every single day, even if it is less expensive (or you get more for the same money or however it breaks down). What, he has to get the KFC meal just because you get more? Maybe the guy wants a sub today. His two obnoxious friends should leave him alone.

July 20 2009 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bob Sassone's comment
Jim

Fail.

July 21 2009 at 7:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

That's what we waited for? Stupid. Can we have some blog posts that are actually relevant to TV in the future?

July 21 2009 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Only 20 times a day? You must not watch as much TV as I thought.

The "think about what you have for lunch" comment is less than helpful - I usually have leftovers or ramen.

July 20 2009 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aml

The dollar extra would be at Subway, not KFC.

July 20 2009 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
c

Pepsi's logo changed in around December and it is now 7 or so months later yet they are still using the old logo.

July 20 2009 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to c's comment
nick

Good eye! Didn't notice that. But after watching again, there's actually both old and new Pepsi logos used in the commercial. The portion with the guys talking features the older logo and the portion just showing the food uses the newer Pepsi logo. I suspect the portion with the guys talking was filmed quite some time ago, and is only now just airing.

July 20 2009 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Is Tom Hanks' son doing commercials now?

"UnThink" kind of reminds me of "Think Outside The Bun," which kind of makes sense, given that KFC and Taco Bell are both owned by Yum! Brands.

July 20 2009 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

Film at 11? What is this - sensational evening news?

July 20 2009 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Who watches commercials anymore?

July 20 2009 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aml

The guy eating the sub doesn't have five items therefore "Looks like your five don't jive" doesn't make any sense.

July 20 2009 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply