September 19, 2014

If Emeril could get a sitcom, why not Padma?

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 20th 2009 8:00PM
Padma LakshmiI love Top Chef (well, the regular version... this oddball Masters edition seems to be just summer filler until the real show starts again). I especially enjoy the hosting stylings of Padma Lakshmi, and not just because of her looks. She has a presence, seems to know her food, and displays an intelligence that fits well in the cerebral nature of the show.

But the word "funny" has never come to mind when I've seen her work. Which is why I'm scratching my head at the news that NBC is developing a sitcom for Lakshmi. You heard me. As in most cases in the world of TV, the premise can be boiled down into one oh-so-confidence-infusing sentence, according to Variety: "Building on her Top Chef credentials, the show will star Lakshmi as a woman working in the culinary world." One possible title? Single Serving.

Oofah. The show's got "two week mid-season stinker" written all over it, doesn't it?

[via TV Week]

jffm

Eh, she's obviously easy on the eyes, and she's done a little bit of acting before. It probably has about as much chance as any of the other dozens of 'throw it against the wall and see if it sticks' pilots that will get a shot.

She works well enough for me on Top Chef. It's just a reality cooking show after all, not a Ken Burns doco or Washington Week in Review. People get invested in these things and start reading into it all kinds of illusory drama. "...sadistic, power drunk pleasure..."? Please.

July 21 2009 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

I enjoy watching Top Chef also, but for me Padma is the worst thing about the show. She has a smug attitude and her voice is droning and irritating to me. When she tells the contestants that their time is up for their challenges, she seems to take some kind of sadistic, power drunk pleasure out of yelling "Hands up, utensils down", or whatever it is she says. Her comments about the food generally reminds me of a snobbish, pretentious foodie and sometimes Chef Toms' reactions to her comments make me wonder if she has any idea at all what she is talking about. All in all, I think that she thinks much to highly of herself, considering her limited accomplishments and talents, and that the contestants have little respect for her or her comments and observations, but grit their teeth and put up with her because she is a judge and they have little choice but to go along to get along. I have no interest in watching a sit com or any other show she stars in.

July 21 2009 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter

I really loved the book too. My book True Love Is Not Common; www.eloquentbooks.com/TrueLoveIsNotCommon.html, has similar main characters. I grew up reading this author since high school. Hope one day my book will reach many people as this author. While writing this book, I did a lot of research on the subject, and love with people around us.

July 21 2009 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Ernie's mention of Anthony Bourdain reminded me - the sitcom based on Kitchen Confidential tanked pretty fast too. While not great, it wasn't entirely the show's fault - Fox bumped it for baseball coverage 2-3 episodes in and it never recovered.

Still, if I want to watch a culinary-based sitcom, I'll pull out my box set of Chef!

July 21 2009 at 4:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RobynM's comment
Ernie

Kitchen Confidential was great. It was a really funny show, and I was pretty bummed that Fox canceled it.

July 22 2009 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Ughhh watching grass grow is about as exciting as listening to her speak at any length. I'm sorry to say but after watching a few seasons now of TC thats' my conclusion. First one or two but not it just grates with no substance. Sad to say she's just eye candy. Something about bravo going for hostesses with annoying voices, first Heidi and then her. And the one for TC masters woof. Just call it what is is, Top Chef presents our Chopped fill-in season.

Emerils' show was sooooo huge too for NBC yeah lets try that again.

Single Serving? How about Single Airing.

July 21 2009 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ernie

Seriously?! Padma has to be the largest negative on Top Chef. She brings nothing to the show. She reminds me of the convention hall models. All pretty, but all fluff at the same time.

Maybe by giving her own sitcom, she'll have to leave the show and they can find someone else to host the show. Gail Simmons would be great.

Also, bring back Anthony Bourdain.

On a side note, I like the interactions between the chefs on Top Chef Masters and the show itself, with the exception of the host on that show too.

July 20 2009 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply