August 23, 2014

Meteor: Conclusion - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 20th 2009 12:30PM
I'm hearing a lot of things about NBC's Meteor miniseries, that it was deliriously awful, stupid, ridiculous, and overall a candidate for Mystery Science Theater 3000. Is that true?

I think these "Earth being destroyed by rocks from space" movies played themselves out years ago, and I thought the casting of people like Christopher Lloyd and Jason Alexander was kinda funky, but was it that bad? Give us your thoughts below and let me know if I should even bother watching it.

R P

Oh my! This movie was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DUMB it was really funny. I actually was really laughing half the time. MST3K here it comes!

I mean who would ever believe Marla Sokolov as a 'genius' anything?

July 20 2009 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scifi.lefemme

Save yourself 4 hours of pain. How so many decent actors could be a part of such a joke is beyond me. By the last hour, we were laughing out loud. It's a prime candidate for MST, but please God, let them do the abridged version!!

July 20 2009 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Also, if anyone else gets a chance, fast-forward to the multitude of gun pointing scenes and notice that they didn't even use props with real barrels. They're all plugged. One scene where the police office steals the dedicated female scientist's rifle and point it at her, you get some fastastic views of how fake it all is. They did this at least a half dozen times.

It has the budget of a TV movie with the effects and plot of a highschool drama.

July 20 2009 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I kept fast-forwarding through the awful content on Hulu. I expect, with proper editing, you could get this down to a good 15 minutes. Something worthy, at least. I, too, was rooting for the asteroid. When is a network going to get serious and show us something we cannot defeat with our nuclear arsenal?

July 20 2009 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alison

Don't bother watching. Bad acting, bad editing, bad effects, bad story line, bad everything.

I watched the whole thing because I felt I should give it a chance. I mean, what if the ending was worth it all? But it wasn't, I wish I had those 4 hours of my life back.

Skip it, it's not worth it. I agree 100% with Ricky.

July 20 2009 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

The society these people lived in was horrible. I was rooting for the asteroid.

At least in ABC's Impact the people were nice and helpful.

July 20 2009 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Holtzinger

This movie was bad, so bad, the science was wrong, the plot line was ridiculous, the heroine was improbable. Not worth a visit to Hulu. Not worth ever being seen again, by anyone.

July 20 2009 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

I didn't watch it so why should you

July 20 2009 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ricky

OMG,
This was sooooo bad. So many things didn't make any sense.
1. the Billy Cambel, bad partner plot: This made no sense and had no real link to the rest of the plot. When he should have been killed by falling off the 2nd floor and handcuffed in the back of the car. His hands were behind him. then he was able to choak the driver while is hands were still cuffed!
Then he takes out 2 solders with a hand gun from a car. when one of them is at the ready with a mounted machine gun.

2. the hospital: Why did the father and mother assume that the evacuation of the hospital failed? They both at different times ran in to the hospital and they're only purpose was to scream for their son. And what EMT goes into a building alone?

3. When the Doc Brown found the asteroid, he couldn't email the information? Or another of the 100s of scientists couldn't see it in another telescope? It was big enough to shake the moon!

3. The "science" They deflect an asteroid when its in the atmosphere? They couldn't see it before then? We can see the space station with binoculars if you know where to look and this was 1000 time bigger?
What about nuclear fallout?

4. acting? an MST3K special and the effects were spot on. Why the Google earth effects on going in on a location. It was all in California or "Area 51"
5. Why was only California hit?

This should have stayed on the Syfy channel. Mansquito was better than this.

Hopefully The Storm is better, but I doubt it. I'm not going to tarnish my Tivo with it. I'll check it on Hulu.

July 20 2009 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I watched the first two hours last weekend....and yes it was bad enough that I made sure not to watch the second half this weekend. You nailed it when you said that the space disaster movie of the week thing was pretty played out a number of years ago. Heck this followed no more than 2 weeks after the space disaster movie involving the moon that aired on ABC with Natasha Henstridge, which was only watchable because of how hot she still is.

July 20 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply