November 23, 2014

True Blood: Never Let Me Go

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jul 20th 2009 4:20AM
True Blood - Never Let Me Go

(S02E05) "There's enough people in my brain already. You're on your own." - Barry to Sookie, who says she can teach him how to control his telepathy

So ... some of our beloved True Blood characters are finding new cohorts just like them. We now know that Daphne is a shapeshifter, which is causing her and Sam to grow even that much closer (and those two are pretty hot together!). I'm not sure I totally trust her, though maybe she'll help Sam to feel better about his lot in life. She seems to have no issues with her abilities, and it was sexy hearing their foreplay talk about how they feel right before they shift.

And Sookie has found a comrade in telepathy, Barry the Bellboy, so we'll see where that all leads. Especially since he quit his job at the hotel and was so adamant about warning Sookie: "Dallas vamps are serious and scary as shit ... if they knew what we could do, they would suck us dry." It certainly seems like the Dallas vampires are taking bad behavior to the next level from the Bon Temps vamps. Eric seems practically soft compared to them.

Jessica continues to be fun ("Hey, Sookie, there's dirty movies on TV!"). I loved the scene where she and Bill argued about her "ordering a guy off the menu," and then him ordering her to go drink True Blood instead. So she storms off like any teen might do after fighting with their parent, saying, "You're gonna be so sorry when I get an eating disorder!" Then she calls Hoyt, who's living with his mom and reading comic books. He and Jessica are two peas in a pod, in many ways.

I'm glad they didn't string out the mystery of Eric and Godric's connection (and Alex picked up on that last week). Not only did we get a great flashback with Eric wearing furs and carrying a shield during wartime, but Eric came right out and told Bill that Godric was his maker. And Sookie is nothing if not noble, wanting to keep her word to Eric, despite the dangers and Bill's hesitance about not being able to protect her once she infiltrates the Fellowship of the Sun church. I imagine he'll have to go in and rescue her among all the vampire haters.

Jason and Sarah, sittin' in a tree ... well, we saw that coming, didn't we? First her husband shuns her and berates women, in general. Then she shows up in the room where Jason is taking a bath, and proceeds to "reward" him, comparing herself to Mary Magdalene washing Jesus' feet. "After all your trials, heartache, and pain, God wants you to have a reward. Let me reward you, Jason. Let me help you find your way back to joy." Some speech. Jason has every reason to be nervous, especially after seeing Steve's stash of artillery in the basement. Yikes.

But it was pretty funny seeing Jason get the "Rise and Shine for God!" treatment from the Light of Day drill sergeant.. Jason really does have leadership abilities, after seeing him help Luke over the fence. Maybe he'll step up and take Steve's place in the church -- and in Sarah's bed.

Oh, that Maryann. She continues to bug the heck out of me, and I wish Tara could see what a phony Manead she really is, sitting outside the bar and casting a spell to make everyone gang up on Tara. Then Tara coming home and finding a sympathetic Maryann there to listen about how rough her day was. Yeah, thanks to Maryann. And what's up with her mysterious "client" whose house she was inhabiting and is now back from being out of the country?

I'm not sure what to think about Eggs. He's just sort of "there" for me at the moment. He's definitely under Maryann's spell or whatever it is, when he responded to Tara's question about his relationship with Maryann: "When I was ready to lay down and die, she lifted me up, same as she did you."

Other interesting stuff:

• "You're walkin' in my shoes, and it's giving you blisters." - Sookie to Bill, lamenting that he's got both her and Jessica to protect, but is powerless to make any decisions and it makes him feel like a waitress. And it's nice to see Bill leaning on Sookie for once. They're like an old married couple. Well, except for the hot sex, that is. And ...
  • Sookie and Bill continue to be white-hot together. Nice that he didn't have to leave her alone in bed at dawn, because the hotel was "light-tight."
  • Awww, I'm feeling for Lafayette, being strangely docile when he went to ask Sam for his job back at the bar. And Sam scolding him for making them all worry, and saying, "Ordinarily right about now, you'd be telling me to fuck off in some colorful, creative way."
  • "Decapitation might work, so we've got a guillotine on order, just in case." - Steve to Jason, after showing him his arsenal of guns, silver bullets, holy water, wooden bullets, silver throwing stars, etc.
  • Was that Bill's maker at the end?

What did you guys think about this episode?

Lance

I loved the ending with Bill's maker....not sure how I feel about them showing her in the 'Previously on.." clip but I don't think I would have remembered her from that one episode last season.

I just like not overanalyzing everything and enjoying the show. Jessica is one of the best things that could've happened to this show. It really is getting good! I definitely see a big payoff with all these storylines.

July 22 2009 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Lara

I think that was Bill's ex girlfriend, maybe maker. Also did you notice how Maryann looked like Sookie's grandmother in that scene where shes talking with Tara? Awesome! I know next weeks episode will be 10 times better than this one because there is usually 1 episode thats awesome then one like this weeks that is just decent. www.yovia.com/blogs/timlara

July 21 2009 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jables

Anyone else disappointed in the casting of Ed Quinn as that dumbass vampire, Stan? That whole scene was horrible.

July 20 2009 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

So... am I the only one that got the feeling that Eric, being a Viking when he was turned, is actually Eric the Red? Does anyone else think that's the coolest twist ever?

July 20 2009 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

July 20 2009 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mark's comment
Koads

Eric the Red, the man who found Greenland ? That would imply him being at least 30-35. Plausible, but then he would have to have a son. and being about 50 years old...

July 21 2009 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamored8907

I thought Daphne was lying about being a shifter, since the only time she has shifted has been around maryann. And Daphne also appeared around the same time as Maryann. I was thinking Maryann gave her the power temperarely (thats why she asked Sam all the questions about transforming, and only agreed with what he said not adding anything) Now I do have to warn anyone reading this because I have read the synopsis for next Weeks episode in which it does say...... Daphne betrays Sam and it has to do with Maryann.

I am thinking that Daphne also answers the hog question. Maybe its her, maybe its that guy Maryann slaves around

July 20 2009 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to iamored8907's comment
laura

You might be onto something there, we KNOW that daphne isnt just there by coincidence, the scars on her back prove that, I also think she is there because of maryann and that she is feeding on Sams lonliness.

July 20 2009 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

This episode certainly didn't advance the plot that much, but I liked the revelations and the different pacing, and as there are still 7 episodes left, a lot can still happen. I have a full review on my blog.

July 20 2009 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Koads

Is it just me or does the picture of Sookie's grandma + Tara + Sookie seem handpainted ? At least the grandma part.

And its always nice to hear some swedish, a bit odd to have them speak modern swedish.

Odd since if u still gonna sub it, u could actually use the correct language.

But then again, old norse-swedish would probably be as thick as porridge and almost impossible to pronounce.

July 20 2009 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Actor n LA

This episode was so entertaining!!!

Best part was the "transfer of energy" from Maenad to Tara.

The Rise and Shine/Light of Day parts were the best. Religious people act just like that. Over indulgents of God but horny armmed civilians at the same time. LOL!!! I loved it.

July 20 2009 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Biojou

There is no question in my mind that that was Bill's maker at the end... otherwise, why would they show clips of the scene in the very beginning when Bill got made in the first place!

July 20 2009 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Biojou's comment
mrfg

That's right. That was Bill's maker... and that will be the new source of drama between Bill and Sookie. I'm hopeful, though. I think Allan Ball knows what he is doing: he won't ruin Bill/Sookie. Otherwise, the ratings would drop.

But, I believe that from now on we will see the "juggling of Sookie between Bill and Eric" that Allan ball was talking about in an interview. I hope this juggling doesn't mean we will see some Eric/Sookie moments... that would just spoil the show for lots of people, including me.

July 20 2009 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dre

well, mrfg, hopefully Allan Ball will be able to pull off the same feat as Charlaine Harris by convincing you to switch your allegiance from Bill to Eric... because I'm betting despite all the liberties he's taking with changing the story from the books, he won't ignore the many Eric/Sookie moments. Their relationship is the most interesting and complex, and there would be no benefit by ignoring it.

July 20 2009 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply