October 24, 2014

Nurse Jackie: Steak Knife

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jul 21st 2009 3:51AM
Nurse Jackie - Steak Knife

(S01E07) "I am God, and you are an asshole." - God

Oh, the times I've wanted to say that in my life. I'm sort of living vicariously through Nurse Jackie these days. She does stuff that everyone else wants to do, but doesn't because they don't have the guts. Like:

• Yanking the catheter out of the repeat sex-offender, then telling Mo-Mo, "He's a fucking pedophile!"
  • Giving the Cartier bracelet that Eddie gave her to the morphine-drugged, steak-knife guy to give to the girl who's really just looking for a nice guy.
  • Telling God to get back on his meds.

Yes, I want to be Nurse Jackie when I grow up.

This episode was directed by Steve Buscemi, whom we all know as one of her many co-stars on The Sopranos. Could a guest spot for James Gandolfini be far behind?

And God was played by Steve Buscemi's brother, Michael Buscemi. They even kind of sound alike. Here's one more God-ism from this episode: "Go in peace, you pieces of shit."

That Mrs. Akalitus isn't fooling me. She really does have a heart in there, as evidenced by the fact that she carried that baby around for the entire episode, then kept it in her office until social services got there. Yeah, she's just a softie.

As is Dr. O'Hara, who couldn't help grabbing a bill off of Jackie's kitchen table and stuffing it in her purse to pay later -- since Jackie wouldn't let her pay for Grace's private school tuition. Yeah, she talks tough, but she's an old softie, too.

Randomness:

• Zoey just dying to take the knife out of the guy's chest, because "It's so tempting."
  • Zoey wanting to do something important, then realizing that her pressure on the guy's chest is keeping his blood from spewing like a faucet.
  • Dr. Cooper being so excited about the "stab wound to the chest."
  • Zoey being depressed because God told her she had a bald spot, then Jackie telling her, "Stop going outside!"
  • Eddie telling Jackie "Too bad it's not made out of Vicodin," referring to the bracelet she rebuffed.
  • Jackie telling Eddie, "Time, for me, is how long it's been since I changed an IV. Other than that, I'm pretty useless."
  • Eddie stealing back the bracelet after giving it to Dr. Cooper.
  • Mo-Mo being surprised that he didn't know Jackie had a boyfriend (because he always does all the talking, says Jackie).
  • Steak-knife guy telling Jackie: "No more married people. No more people with problems. I want someone with a clean slate, like a grad student."
  • O'Hara giving Grace a French braid to go with her Catholic school uniform.

All in all, I really enjoyed this episode. What did you guys think?

Alizare

Mfleigle, in next promo you could see SPOILER that Jackie´s son call her in the hospital and Coop is present. I suppose that Coop will talk to Eddie... SPOILER END

July 21 2009 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iambored

The one thing I haven't figured out in the last 6 episodes: does anyone besides ohara know Jackie is married? I assume Eddie doesn't

July 21 2009 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Iambored's comment
AlmondJoy

Nope, nor do they know that she is a mom....but according to the previews for next week it sounds like Dr. Cooper may find out.

July 22 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

As much as I want this show to succeed, I find myself sitting around watching each episode **WAITING** for something big to happen... and nothing really does.

Although that catheter moment made me wince.

But I find that the show slowly wanders from scene to scene without any peaks and valleys (most of the time), and I'm wondering if I'm conditioned to expect big surprises out of most pay-cable shows (e.g. Tru Blood, Dexter, etc.)?

I really want this show to succeed. If they are able to get Steve Buscemi to direct multiple episodes, then something good is happening here.

July 21 2009 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

this was the worst episode of the bunch but still overall a great show. the catheter part was too much for me.

July 21 2009 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

O'hara was talking about her family, but in a vague way. Unlike Jackie and the others, her personal life is her own. We got hints and bits that it affects her more than she lets on, but we aren't close at all to knowing what the real details are.

and Jackie's husband found the bill in her purse, took it out, looked at Jackie and shook his head. There's an interesting ballet going on between these characters. Lots of things unsaid that carry more weight than the actual dialogue we hear.

and Fiona was a delight in the coffee scene.

July 21 2009 at 7:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kasey

i didnt get who o'hara was talking about at the end? .. was that pedophile her step father??

love your reviews btw