Nurse Jackie: Steak Knife
by Jane Boursaw, posted Jul 21st 2009 3:51AM
(S01E07) "I am God, and you are an asshole." - God
Oh, the times I've wanted to say that in my life. I'm sort of living vicariously through Nurse Jackie these days. She does stuff that everyone else wants to do, but doesn't because they don't have the guts. Like:
- Yanking the catheter out of the repeat sex-offender, then telling Mo-Mo, "He's a fucking pedophile!"
- Giving the Cartier bracelet that Eddie gave her to the morphine-drugged, steak-knife guy to give to the girl who's really just looking for a nice guy.
- Telling God to get back on his meds.
Yes, I want to be Nurse Jackie when I grow up.
This episode was directed by Steve Buscemi, whom we all know as one of her many co-stars on The Sopranos. Could a guest spot for James Gandolfini be far behind?
And God was played by Steve Buscemi's brother, Michael Buscemi. They even kind of sound alike. Here's one more God-ism from this episode: "Go in peace, you pieces of shit."
That Mrs. Akalitus isn't fooling me. She really does have a heart in there, as evidenced by the fact that she carried that baby around for the entire episode, then kept it in her office until social services got there. Yeah, she's just a softie.
As is Dr. O'Hara, who couldn't help grabbing a bill off of Jackie's kitchen table and stuffing it in her purse to pay later -- since Jackie wouldn't let her pay for Grace's private school tuition. Yeah, she talks tough, but she's an old softie, too.
- Zoey just dying to take the knife out of the guy's chest, because "It's so tempting."
- Zoey wanting to do something important, then realizing that her pressure on the guy's chest is keeping his blood from spewing like a faucet.
- Dr. Cooper being so excited about the "stab wound to the chest."
- Zoey being depressed because God told her she had a bald spot, then Jackie telling her, "Stop going outside!"
- Eddie telling Jackie "Too bad it's not made out of Vicodin," referring to the bracelet she rebuffed.
- Jackie telling Eddie, "Time, for me, is how long it's been since I changed an IV. Other than that, I'm pretty useless."
- Eddie stealing back the bracelet after giving it to Dr. Cooper.
- Mo-Mo being surprised that he didn't know Jackie had a boyfriend (because he always does all the talking, says Jackie).
- Steak-knife guy telling Jackie: "No more married people. No more people with problems. I want someone with a clean slate, like a grad student."
- O'Hara giving Grace a French braid to go with her Catholic school uniform.
All in all, I really enjoyed this episode. What did you guys think?