November 28, 2014

The Doctor has new clothes to go with his new body

by Brad Trechak, posted Jul 21st 2009 9:03AM
Doctor WhoThe new actor to play the lead role on Doctor Who, Matt Smith, has begun filming his first episodes. Thus, the paparazzi were able to snap some photos of his outfit. Despite being the youngest actor to play the role, he's dressed like the oldest. It's something of a full-color version of Patrick Troughton's outfit from the 1960's. Perhaps it's a hipster thing.

It's been suggested online that he's going for a science teacher look, and that would actually be pretty retro of the show (which was originally intended to teach children about science and history, although I'm not sure how meeting cavemen followed by Daleks teaches either).

Mr. Smith has pretty big shoes to fill, particularly considering that by the time he was considered of age to watch the show, it was off the air. Still, Steven Moffat is now the showrunner, so I'm confident that despite the loss of David Tennant and however the Doctor looks, it will still be among the best shows on television.

Spydermon

This Doctor is played by a Dog, and his assistant is played by a Dragon. (Asian astrology. The animal types of the actor influence hugely the way the character is portrayed by the actors and the writing staff. Seriously. Tom Baker was a Rooster, for goodness sake.)

Anyway. . . Dogs are awesome. Billy Piper was a Dog, and Tennant is a Goat. This is why they had such great chemistry on screen. The Dog feels an instinctive need to protect and care for the vulnerable, lovable Goat. And the Doctor being the Doctor. . . A super-hero Goat with a soft side that only Rose could help with. . ? Come on! That's a total rescue-fantasy!

But this new duo. . ! Holy smokes. Dragons and Dogs are a horrible match. Fighty and no chemistry at all. (Interestingly, Eccleston was also a Dragon. He and Rose would never have fallen in love.)

Now this new fellow looks a little too Emo for my taste, but he IS a Dog, and Dogs are the most awesome sign. Absolute super-heroes, can't say not to a genuine cry for help, and if you corner one, you're pretty much cut to ribbons. The Dragon hates the Dog because the Dog can see through the Dragon's ego-driven illusions of greatness. But the Dragon also drives the Dog mad with her intense, almost war-like manner. It will be interesting, but if we're expecting a love story, forget it.

I hope Moffat doesn't try to push that agenda, because it will seem very forced.

August 13 2009 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katherine Galindo

I don't think anyone can do the doctor like Tennant can, but why can't the doctor reincarnate as a female? Someone like Liz May Brice would have been great.. since she doesn't seem to be coming back to Torchwood.. and why didn't the doctor show up to take down the 456? I kept waiting for him to show up.. I'd rather that than see a kid die to save the world... I don't think this "new" doctor is going to bring to Doctor Who what David did.

July 27 2009 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hartnell

Ah, so you're my replacement: a dandy and a clown!
You don't look old enough to tie your own boot laces...but I hope you're going to do something about that dreadful console room. What were they thinking! Tsk, tsk.
At least my white window frames and St John's Ambulance sticker are back.
Yes, yes. Very good.
And what have they done to Chesterton eh?
He never did suit a mini skirt.
Sign of the times I suppose.
Bah! Humbug!!!!

July 25 2009 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stbyra

Patrick Trounton (sp) was NOT the oldest Doctor. William Hartnell, the original Doctor was the oldest.

July 21 2009 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I like the rest of the outfit, but a bow tie? Does he HAVE to look like Tucker Carlson?

July 21 2009 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
puffin

Sorry but he's too young to play the part.

July 21 2009 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Aww...he looks adorkable. :)

Like John Barrowman said in the interview posted yesterday, the first couple episodes you're not too sure, but one usually comes around.

I remember having a fangirl fit when Tom Baker left, but now Sylvester McCoy's one of my favourite Doctors.

As far as David Tennant goes, I was a little iffy on him after Christopher Eccleston, but he grew on me pretty quickly.

So after all that, I'm certainly willing to give Matt Smith a sporting chance - particularly with Steven Moffat as showrunner. Not only are his Doctor Who episodes brilliant, but I'm a great fan of Jekyll as well.

July 21 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Emo nerd needs a haircut.

July 21 2009 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Buslady

He looks funny. Cut the hair man, only one can have wild hair like that and he's about to leave.

So he's gonna imitate a previous life going back to the bum look, Pat Troughton looked right...this dude looks silly like this.

I dunno...

gotta have the right look, he doesn't seem to have it.

July 21 2009 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

I kinda like the Doctor's new look. I mean when one incarnation wears a vegetable on his lapel and another has a ridiculously long scarf. It's merely keeping up with a long tradition of unusual fashion choices.

I adore David and he will always be my Doctor, but Matt Smith seems genuinely enthusiastic about the role. I bet he'll do a good job.

July 21 2009 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply