September 17, 2014

Drawn Together housemates getting back together for a movie

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 22nd 2009 5:06PM
Drawn TogetherDrawn Together was one of those shows that everyone loved to hate. The critics blasted it constantly, and yet it managed three seasons. It was about as inappropriate as I've ever seen animation get; especially for something that aired on television. Yes, I'm saying it made South Park and much of Adult Swim look tame by comparison.

And I loved every minute of it.

So imagine my excitement when I read that Comedy Central is bringing me The Drawn Together Movie: The Movie. You can watch it, too, but I think we all know they made it for me. It promises to be even lewder and cruder than the series. In fact, the fact that the characters can cuss without being censored is the impetus for the film's driving plot.

It's the discovery that their cursing is no longer beeped that leads Foxxy Brown to deduce that their show has been canceled (and no one told them!). Thus leads the gang on a cross-cartoon journey to try and get back on the air. So while we've already had characters from different cartoon genres and styles represented in the Drawn Together house, now we get to see them in different cartoon environments as well.

I'd love to see this herald the return of the series to regular production. We've gotten Family Guy and Futurama back now, so it's not unprecedented. And it's pretty cool that the voice cast is going to the San Diego Comic-Con. If the panel is a huge success and the movie is a huge success, they'll bring back more for me to feel dirty loving. Even the premise of the movie is built around the show getting un-cancelled. It's destiny!

Joey Geraci

It was amazingly mind-numbingly stupid. If that's what you mean. My god, man, have some standards for what you put into your head!

July 22 2009 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joey Geraci's comment
Joey Geraci

What's stupid about animation as a genre? Certainly Situation comedy is a much more stupid genre.

And regardless, the show got so unbelievably crass, with so little wit to back it up, that there is no way you could watch the show without clawing your eyes out. South Park occaisionally got that stupid (far less often though) but the inherent intelligence behind the people running the show would make it still watchable in those moments (just barely watchable, but still). Drawn Together is run by a bunch of prepubescent neanderthals.

July 23 2009 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dylan

Drawn Together was awesome! Cannot wait for the movie.

July 22 2009 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dylan's comment
Joey Geraci

Let me guess. You also love Jackass and Tripping the Rift. And you probably hate South Park when it actually has a coherent story and theme.

July 23 2009 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nornny

Agreed! Drawn Together took reality television and brought it to even a even more classless and tasteless level (if that's possible), and it was amazing.

July 22 2009 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply