October 25, 2014

Torchwood: Children of Earth: Day Two (U.S.)

by Mike Moody, posted Jul 22nd 2009 1:56AM
torchwood children of earth day two

Gwen is a badass. And that Ianto sure is one clever boy. With Captain Jack busy growing back his body parts, Torchwood's non-super-powered players took center stage in Children of Earth's fast and furious second hour.

Day two started out with a rush of action movie awesomeness as Gwen blasted her way out of a scary situation. I don't remember the danger ever feeling so immediate and real in Torchwood. The opening minutes were edge-of-your-seat tense, and the swift pace rarely let up.

As Ianto looked for a way to save Jack, Gwen and Rhys got to spend some quality time together tying up morticians and running away from evil government agents. There was a lot of chasing and gunplay in this ep, but there were also some great character moments in between all the thrills and suspense.

Gwen told Rhys about her pregnancy, and he couldn't have been happier -- until he started freaking out, of course. But you can't blame the guy considering the circumstances. Their scene in the potato truck felt very honest, and it was a welcome respite from all of the running around. I'm really enjoying watching these two together (probably more than I enjoyed Jack and Ianto's "couple" scenes from episode one). But something tells me I shouldn't get too attached to Rhys. (Hopefully, that something is just my nerves.)

Jack's resurrection happened almost exactly like I thought it would. Still, it was pretty ghastly watching him scream in pain as his skin started to grow back. Burying him in a concrete cell was pretty clever, but the agents didn't count on Ianto heroically smashing through the wall and saving everyone in the last minute. That was a surprise. I thought Gwen and Rhys were nicked for sure!

After spending most of day two apart, the team is now on the run together, but a million questions remain. Chiefly, who or what is "Species 456," and why the hell is the government catering to its every need?

I know a lot you have already watched the entire run of Children of Earth – all five eps aired last week in the U.K. – and you have all the answers I'm looking for. But I'd be happy if you didn't spoil anything for the rest of us. (If you must give away spoilers in the comments, please mark them with a nice big "Spoiler Warning"). I'm having a blast watching this epic mystery unfold every night, and the quiet moments are just as absorbing as the dominant alien invasion/government conspiracy plot.

Other Observations:

- The team is getting a lot of help from the smart Miss Habiba, but it's hard to trust her after what happened with Dr. Patanjali.

- Is Dekker an alien? Or maybe some kind of wrinkly old superhuman? Whatever he is, he's damn creepy, and I'm dying to find out what he knows about Frobisher.

- I already mentioned my concern for Rhys. I'm also nervous for Jack and Ianto's families. The Torchwood team seems capable of protecting each other, but can they protect their distant loved ones from a pending alien invasion and gun-wielding government agents?

- Blurry Jack but: Just another reason for Barrowman fans to buy this thing on DVD.

Martin

The blurring might have to do with the time slot?!

July 23 2009 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pgarundel

I also would like to complain about the blurry parts. I watch on DirecTv and the show Oz and Deadwood uncut on T101. Those shows are much more graphic than Torchwood. I really don't see the point of of having BBCA if it will be censored. If they or DirecTv don't have the cojones, don't bother to show it at all. Bollocks!!!

July 22 2009 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Nice to see PC Andy get his cameo in, but I am wondering what the thugs did with him after they got to Gwen's place.

Also good to see Ianto's brother-in-law immediately rally to his defense after the house got raided. After their interaction in Day One, I thought he was a bit of a jerk, but he really stepped up to the plate with his ranting at the bugs and distracting the tail so his wife could get away and meet up with Ianto, as well as reminding her they're the only family he's got.

Dekker's seriously creeping me out - there's definitely more going on with him than even Frobisher knows.

I was also disappointed at the blurring of Jack's bum - good thing I've already got the DVDs ordered. (Amazon has 'em for $16.49 right now - best price I've seen.)

In spite of Dr. Panjali, I've still got high hopes for Lois. The girl definitely knows how to bring the information. I thought it was a bit goofy to haul her over to the build site and then make her wait outside, but such are plot devices.

Rhys is still the man. In spite of everything, he remains more unflappable than most people would be. I loved the bit where he asks to hold the bag so her trigger finger would be free. He also retains the common sense link to the everyday world that Gwen's been losing since she took up with Torchwood.

All in all, can't wait to see what comes next.

July 22 2009 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anne

I forgot about Dr.Who . You're correct, I'm not familiar with the shows you've cited. I'm just so disappointed with the cancellations I mentioned.

July 22 2009 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anne

Does anyone know if Torchwood will see another series ? I sure hope so, but I've read that the actress playing Gwen has taken a new role. Whats with British TV ? All their shows last maybe 2-3 series. ie Primeval;Hex;Ashes to Ashes.

July 22 2009 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to anne's comment
MrRoarke

LOL!!
Not all our dramas are short-lived. Examples off the top of my head:
New Dr Who (4 years), Foyle's War (6 years), Spooks (7 years) and if you really want to talk longevity: Casualty (23 years) and the Bill (25 years)

July 22 2009 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Enjoyed the episode--but wasn't that the world's slowest and most unlikely getaway, with Ianto driving a giant Caterpillar (or whatever) out of a heavily-fortified military installation into a VERY conveniently-located mining hole? Didn't buy that part one bit (or the fact that, once the guards saw Gwen and Rhys by Jack's cell, they didn't just kill them).

July 22 2009 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jean

I too am worrying about Rhys and Lois - are they red shirts this season?!?! I trust Lois, tho. And Dekker knows more than even Frobisher about all this - and what about Bridget Spears? I'm loving every minute of this special event! And while I'm sad that Series 3 is only five eps long, I love Torchwood!

July 22 2009 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn

I was wondering if BBCA was going to blurry that out or somehow edit the scene. I did watch this online just after it was shown in Great Britain and got to see Jack's butt in all its glory.

No spoilers - just a comment that while not all five hours are as spectacular as hour two, this was a gem of a story and the writers and actors deserve kudos.

July 22 2009 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Carolyn's comment
BC McKinney

BBC America has been blurring even nonfrontal nudity for several years now. I'm not sure why; the FCC's decency rulings only apply to broadcast networks, and now the FCC is temporarily not controlled by the nuts anyway.

July 22 2009 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

If you look at screencaps you can the blurry shots more clearer. They're yummy! :)

July 22 2009 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply