America's Got Talent: Audition show 10
by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jul 23rd 2009 12:16AM
(S04E10) "We've saved the best for last." - Nick about this being the last audition episode
The last America's Got Talent audition episode not only featured loads of good performances -- sadly, most shown in a quick montage -- but also an interview with Britain's Got Talent's Susan Boyle. The "Susan Boyle - Daring to Dream" interview with Meredith Vieira depicted well Susan's path to fame and her life struggles, but I would have preferred to have seen Boyle perform live on the show during one of the performance episodes in August. Then the contestants could have interacted with someone who went very far in the competition and be inspired by her story, as well as show that everyday people who truly have talent can become stars.
Before we get to my two cents about tonight's performances, I wanted to point out that contestant Shaunie, who performed a unique singing number in last night's episode, dropped by the comments section in my review of Audition show 9 to share the link to his YouTube channel so you can watch more of his talent.
Some of the acts I didn't enjoy:
- Joseph James, singer: I would say that 9 times out of 10, when you learn in a pre-act segment that the performer is a singing or dancing teacher, the act turns out to be a terrible one. Joseph definitely falls into that category. His voice was very high and pitchy. How can he be a choir director?!
Some of the acts I don't know what to think about:
- Beale Street Flippers, flipping: Their flipping was really impressive! The Hoff was right when he said those are the best flippers we've seen on the show so far. As incredible as that act was, I don't think it's the sort of act that should win the show. Personally, I wouldn't go see a one-hour show of flipping. You? If you want to see more of their fantastic flipping, check out the various videos people filmed on them performing here and there.
Some of the acts I enjoyed/loved:
- Breaksk8, dancing roller skaters: I don't get why Piers didn't love the fact they danced on 4-wheel skates. Piers keeps complaining that acts are boring or not original enough. Breaksk8 not only performed an entertaining dance routine, but they did it on skates! What more can you ask at this point in the game? By the way, Breaksk8 are not newbies when reality shows and performing are concerned; they appeared on MTV's America's Best Dance Crew. You can watch more performances from Breaksk8 on their official website and on their YouTube channel.
- Mosaic, vocal band: In the few seconds we've seen of the vocal band, I must say that they sounded really impressive. They showed good harmonics and were on key. Since AGT decided to show us only a tiny part of their act, I suggest you check out their performance of the song "Thank You" on YouTube to see their talent.
- Jeffrey Ou, pianist: Another act we've seen only a few seconds of. But, wow, did he sound extremely talented?! Imagine on a real piano!
- Ciana, singer: Never would I have expected that such a deep and powerful voice could come out of an 8-year-old singer! Ciana gave an impressive performance of "At Last." It was amazing! She even displayed good stage presence and did some moves that fit the emotions of the song. Bravo! Want more of Ciana? Watch her perform "A Song for You" and "If I Were a Boy."
We've finally made it through the auditions! Next week, we get the "Vegas Verdicts" episodes during which contestants who made it through the first round of auditions perform for the judges to try for a spot in the Top 40. The first Top 40 performance show will air on August 4, meaning that we will get only two "Verdicts" episodes.