October 31, 2014

The Jeff Dunham Show comes to Comedy Central in October

by Nick Zaino, posted Jul 23rd 2009 10:04AM
Jeff DunhamVentriloquist Jeff Dunham was selling out clubs and theaters for years before his first Comedy Central special, Arguing With Myself, aired in 2006. That was followed by two more specials, Spark of Insanity and Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special, all of which generated monster ratings for the network. Last year's Christmas special was the most watched in network history with 6.6 million viewers.

So it seems like a no brainer for Comedy Central to step up and see what Dunham can do with his own half-hour series, The Jeff Dunham Show, which is slated to premiere October 22.

Dunham himself is a somewhat soft-spoken, unassuming figure; it's his puppets, like cranky old man Walter, Peanut the "woozle," Jose Jalapeno (literally a Jalapeno on a stick), and the more controversial Achmed the Dead Terrorist that garner the attention. Which is pretty much what a good ventriloquist should strive for. The more the audience pays attention to the puppet, the less they're looking at your mouth.

The format of the show should play to that strength. Dunham has already more than proved his mettle with a live audience, which will be part of the show. The other part will be taped segments. Those mentioned so far have Dunham and Walter visiting a licensed psychologist, Achmed trying to recruit people at a job fair, and Bubba J at a real life rifle range.

This is definitely a bigger platform for Dunham, getting in front of a TV audience on a weekly basis. But I would think there would be little pressure on Dunham for this to be a smash hit. He already has an audience that should show up for this, and the worst thing that could happen would be that he would have to go back to touring the country, something he's done successfully for about 20 years, and making popular stand-up specials.

Skylar Rugani

I cant wait until this show airs! I have seen every special that he has and I own them as well! I Love his acts!

August 23 2009 at 1:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laurie

Jeff is wonderful for 1 he is the most talented ventriloquist I have ever seen; accents, singing, arguing & more.
Comedy is about making you laugh at what other wise in this crazy world would make you stay in bed and cry. The world is not a nice place. Jeff has taken that stuff and found a way to make us laugh at it. He's created real charcters with depth. Then made us laugh at their issues in turn we can laugh at our own. For the time he's on just let go and let your self laugh. I'm one who is usually offended by any mention of crulety to animals but the Chuiha's make me laugh, he's not actually hurting them the dog picked up that stick herself. On another plus side for Jeff fuck is not every other word out of he's mouth. I applaud him for being funny but not vulgar well as far as most of the language. This I'm sure will not be a show you want to sit down and watch with your young children. But I'll bet you laugh yourself silly. Besides if you don't laugh at Peanut you better get your heart checked and be sure you're still alive! Keep up the great work Jeff.

July 24 2009 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MarcDom7

I really dug his first major Comedy Central stand-up, but his Christmas special was terribly ignorant, xenophobic and shallow. What happened?

July 23 2009 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Pathetic. He's a stupid ventriloquist.

One more nail in the coffin of America.

July 23 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mail4bh

Count me in! When I saw his first Comedy Central special, it was my first time ever seeing or hearing of him. I laughed so hard at Peanut, I couldn't breathe and tears were pouring down my face. My wife came in to see if I was ok and pretty soon, she was on laughing her head off, too.

July 23 2009 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DunhamHanerFan

Can't wait this man is awesome seen him and Brian Haner in concert in CT hope they come back around to the area again

July 23 2009 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robyn

I'm in! Love jeff Dunham, watch him all by myself late at night and laugh until I cry!

July 23 2009 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csttar63

i dont think he cares if this is a hit or not, since he was the 3rd most successful comedian on FORBES list last year with an income of $30 million dollars behind CHRIS ROCK $45 million and no. 1 JERRY SEINFIELD with $85 million. touring is not the worst thing for this guy.

July 23 2009 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cander

Have him go to the ghetto with Sweet Daddy D.

July 23 2009 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply