October 31, 2014

A few thoughts on Torchwood going into Day Five

by Nick Zaino, posted Jul 24th 2009 9:03AM
TorchwoodSPOILERS! No griping, all ye who pass here and have not visited episode four on their DVR.

Read Mike Moody' s review here. Okay, last chance if you haven't seen episode four already, here we go....

Ianto isn't dead. He just isn't, okay. I know, I know, we saw him succumb to the gas and die in Jack's arms. I know they said their goodbyes, I know Gwen pulled back the sheet and he was all pale and looked not at all well, and he was in the room with all the dead people under the orange sheets. And I saw everyone talking about how they'll miss him in the Torchwood special after the episode. I saw all the same things you did.

I don't know what's going to happen in episode five, but I can't conceive of it involving Ianto actually being dead. He and Jack are too much fun, and their relationship is too different from anything else on television, and it just got started. I don't know what kind of dues ex machine, Alec Guinness on Endor has to happen, but I'll be looking for it.

Another thing, I can't help but wondering if "an injury to one is an injury to all" includes the good Doctor. And I can't decide whether it would be cheesy or wonderful if he showed up. But I'm primed for an ass-kicking reckoning Friday night on BBC America.

Then again, the first four episodes have been full of intense drama and action, and I can't remember more than a dozen gunshots, most of them directed at Jack, and a few skirmishes. One big explosion in the first episode, but aside from that, most of the tension has been created by good old fashioned storytelling.

I can't remember being happier to watch four straight days of a miniseries at an hour and fifteen minutes a clip, and then been so eager to watch the documentary extras afterwards. Hell of a way to kick off a new season, and a pretty high standard to live up to.

ThankTheGoddess

The whole point of Jack's character is that he will always lose the people he loves. That's the nature of the beast. Ianto is not the first, and he won't be the last. Yes, it's heartbreaking to lose him - but THAT'S THE POINT.

July 24 2009 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

all i'm saying is dead = dead

July 24 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

The worst part about Ianto's death is that Jack was slowly beginning to open up to him and reclaim some of his lost humanity. Then Ianto goes and dies and now Jack's instinct is to close himself off emotionally again.

Also, can we get a reason for why the 456 are interested in kidnapping our children and/or killing us all? What purpose does that serve? maybe they just travel the universe stealing kids and wiping out civilizations for the hell of it.

July 24 2009 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Claire's comment
tom2ytx

Yo, everything is explained in Day 5, patience my dear.

July 24 2009 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

I don't know what it is about DW and Torchwood, but when I watch these shows, I get totally absorbed in them. I don't think I blink until commercial breaks. When something like poor Ianto happens it makes me cry like a baby! I really don't want Ianto to be dead. He and Jack were great together. :(

I don't cry when I watch American shows even when they desperately try to tug at your emotions.

July 24 2009 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KMF's comment
Paul

While I have been enjoying the series, I did not get upset at the end. I just though oh great another British show where they keep killing main people off. Honestly, a death here or there is good for the drama but I grow tired of investing time in watch a series only to have 1/2 the people in it killed off and then the series end because of poor ratings. It Torchwood's case I do not think that will happen but two other BBC series managed to shot themselves in the foot like that. If Jack or Gwen died, I would stop watching.

July 24 2009 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tom2ytx

Day 5 goes places American television wouldn't think of going. It's so dark and yet so wonderful.

July 24 2009 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply