November 22, 2014

So You Think You Can Dance: 2 of 8 Voted Off

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 24th 2009 12:32AM
Katie Holmes on So You Think You Can Dance(S05E19) This was the gala 100th episode celebration of So You Think You Can Dance. As such, we got a nice video montage of the entire series to this point. It was great seeing some familiar faces again, as well as a very few that I actually forgot about. We even got a quick shot of first season host Lauren Sanchez, the Brian Dunkelman of SYTYCD.

GROUP NUMBER
"One," A Chorus Line

(Contemporary, Mia Michaels) Well, I didn't really like that one at all. A bit of a hot mess all over the stage. With the mirrors and camera angles chosen, it was more confusing than anything else.

SPECIAL GUEST
Katie Holmes - "Get Happy"

Well, this will certainly go down as one of the most hyped guest appearances ever on the show. But how did it go?

Honestly, it was pretty disappointing. It didn't appear to have actually been live on our stage, which is irritating. And there was a serious lack of dancing on the part of Mrs. Cruise. Ultimately, the entire number was a little boring. The opening part in the street was jarringly different from the rest of the dance, and the whole thing just didn't come together very well. Next time, give me another encore of a former great dance from the first 99 episodes.

EMMY DANCE ENCORES
Jaimie Goodwin & Hokuto "Hok" Konishi
"The Chairman's Waltz," Memoirs of a Geisha (Wade Robson)

Speaking of those encores, "The Hummingbird and the Flower" still stands as one of my favorite dances of the series. Hok was a powerhouse hip-hop dancer, and while he didn't excel as some others have in other genres, Robson choreographed a piece perfectly for his own style within this contemporary piece. I think this may have been the best example of two different dancers in two different styles melding into a beautiful singular piece.

Heidi Groskreutz & Travis Wall
"Calling You," Celine Dion (Mia Michaels)

Another great dance, which I guess stands to reason considering the Emmys and all; "The Bench" wasn't as smooth this time around. Either that, or my rose-colored memories of season two have painted perfection where there were flaws then, as well. It was the under-the-bench movement that was a little off tonight, but otherwise it's still one of the best uses of a prop we've ever seen; right up there with the boardroom table and the door.

Various and Many
"Ramalama (Bang Bang)," Roisin Murphy (Wade Robson)

It's really hard to choreograph a big group number week after week, especially when you're dealing with dancers of different skill levels in whatever style you're working in. Robson did a great job of pulling together a piece that was both visually arresting and unique enough to be memorable. Sizzling with style, the only disappointment was that our favorite former dancers were buried in make-up to make them almost unrecognizable.

SOLOS
Kayla Radomski - "The Moment I Said It," Imogen Heap
Oh Kayla, don't be so stressed out. We still love you.

Jason Glover - "...Slowdance on the Inside," Taking Back Sunday
Wait a minute, are these the same solos? The music is the same. Hmmm...

Janette Manrara - "Seduces Me," Celine Dion
Okay, Janette's solo actually regressed from the impressive performance she gave last night. Somebody sweating the results?

Brandon Bryant - "Ain't Nothing Wrong With That," Robert Randolph & The Family Band
Again, largely the same, but I lost count trying to count the number of times he spun around.

ELIMINATED
So it's the end of the road for Janette, as I predicted. Evan, however, has a larger fan-base than I anticipated. As such, with Brandon in the bottom two instead of him, my second-to-last pick Jason was the one to feel the lack of American love. So I was pretty damned close.

Kayla, Ade, Melissa, Evan, Jeanine and Brandon. One of them is going to win this thing. I'm still not as excited about any of them as I was about some of the dancers from last season, but they are brilliant.

mandy

The photo credit says ABC because this is actually a still of Katie taken from when she guest starred on Eli Stone - not from her SYTYCD routine. Eli Stone (now cancelled) also featured Katie singing and dancing. That's what this pic is from

July 25 2009 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CMG

Why is the photo on this story credited to ABC, when the show is on FOX and a 19E/20th Century Fox/Dick Clark Productions show?

July 25 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

I didn't watch the 100th episode - read the results online and figured I didn't need to see one hot mess!

I would disagree that Janette has the least amount of training out of all the girls - she has different training, for sure (since she is a latin ballroom dancer - forgot which style) but she's not not-trained. And I wouldn't be surprised if she has studied other forms (who would audition for SYTYCD by now without attempting various styles?). But I do think she moves amazingly well "for a ballroom dancer" - not as a put-down, but let's face it: ballroom requires certain posture and movement (more upright, more rigid).

I wasn't and still haven't been overly enthralled with any of the dancers this season, but I thought it would come down to Jeanine and Janette for the girls. Kayla is amazingly good but I'm not as drawn in when watching her dance, compared to the other two girls. Melissa - it's time for her to go already! I can't honestly say she should or should not have already gotten booted over the other girls that have left - because they were unmemorable - but compared to the other 3 girls, she just can't compare.

For the guys, I would guess Brandon and Jason. Evan is good - I like him - but I don't think he will win the shebang. Ade, like Melissa, should be the next dancer booted.

I've said week after week that I think the show is partly rigged - particularly how the dancers choose styles each week. I'm not sure how it could be rigged, but it just seems calculated. Melissa and Ade in the bottom two last week, this week get an emotional routine that everyone HAS to love (I wasn't affected by it, I didn't care for it, but I don't care about being politically correct).

The choreographers must know that what they choreograph will affect how the audience votes! (Whether it's a dance about cancer, being chained together, or zombies).

July 24 2009 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kasina

This season overall has been lackluster and amazing at the same time. The top 20 was very strong, but it was difficult to become attached to just one or two dancers; everyone seemed to be very good. There's also not much variety in terms of dancers the closer and closer it is to the Finale. Everyone in the Top 8, save Jeanette, was a contemporary dancer of some kind. Correct me if I'm wrong.

More importantly, this season there have been routines that were just plain bad from a choreography stand-point. Like, in the most recent episode; Janine and Brandon's routine was just mind-blowingly bad because the music was so slow. The routine wasn't easy to watch either. And Evan and Jeanette's "Heartless" routine was almost equally as bad. The moves didnt match the song at all. In the end, the dancers cant do much if the routine they're given is bad; there's only so much they can do. The judges rely too much on the choreographers. This rarely happened last season.

July 24 2009 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PMoore

I am a latecomer to SYTYCD. I started with the last season. I have to say that none of the dancers this season can hold a candle to Joshua, Katee, Comfort, Twitch, Will, Kherington, Courtney, Gev or any of the dancers from last season. Nigel, et. al keep pumping up this season. It is not as good as last season's. Why didn't they show Joshua/Katee (No Air) or their Bollywood number from last season? I'm really sorry that I started watching this show so late - I just love it. Not so much this season.

July 24 2009 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jams

Denise - we must share the same brain...I agree with every word of your post.

I can't get over that four of the BEST dancers were at the BOTTOM last night. Janette should've won this thing. IMO - that cancer dance saved Ade and Melissa....otherwise they'd have been the ones to go, rightly so. I was also surprised by the lackluster reaction of both Cat and Nigel. I know they were running out of time, but they just seemed to act like, "oh bummer, well see you next week!" I was surprised Cat didn't talk to the rest of the judges. I would've liked to have heard/seen Mia's reaction.

I wish the public could "vote" Janette back in and demand a recount!

July 24 2009 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin Spalding

I don't get the Evan fans...he is by far the worst male dancer and brings down every one of his partners. I can't believe more people voted for him than Brandon.

Janette is the best female dance and definitely capable of winning the show. America really blew it this week.

July 24 2009 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

I wasn't impressed with the "One" number, it was just.. ok. Katie Holmes, I wasn't excited about and therefore, not disappointed. Very bland.

The "Rama Lama" number is the single number that I always think of when I think of this show. It's the first number where I wanted to know WHO choreographed this, and the choreographer was like a rock star for me. I love the Wade Robson routines! Although I agree w/ what Lisa said, there is something special about seeing these numbers the FIRST time we see them, that you lose, after..

I am horrified that Janette is gone. I found her to be the most accomplished, exciting, versatile of any of the dancers I've seen this year, and I honestly expected she'd win it. In her absence, I like Kayla.. For the guys, I'm going to root for Brandon now, although I really thought Jason was better than he got credit for. I found his solos to be amazing. I don't get the appeal of Ade, I'm just not seeing it myself.

July 24 2009 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lylekira

I love Kayla and think she is the best dancer of the bunch by far. I don't see this lack of personality at all. I think she has plenty. I hope Melissa and Ade go next. I was willing to give them a reprive after the Tyce routine, but next week its time to go.

July 24 2009 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Was I seeing things? At one point during Katie Holmes' number, she pulled up the bottom of her top to reveal.... cesarean scars?

July 24 2009 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim's comment
Jessica

C-section scars run horizontal and are just above - like you know where - I have two of them. Her bottoms were to high to reveal the scar.

July 24 2009 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply