April 20, 2014

Happy Jack begins season eight of 24, but it won't last

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 25th 2009 7:11PM
Kiefer Sutherland and Annie WerschlingRemember when Jack Bauer was happy? You know, back before he left Audrey? Good times. Apparently almost dying at the hands of his one-time best friend last season is going to leave Jack in a happy place at the start of 24's season eight. Okay, that's not the reason.

It's really because he's reconnected with his daughter and granddaughter. I still can't get over America's "hero" being a grandfather. And of course we know it can't last ... wait a minute. Could this be the season they kill Kim? Would they really put Jack through that much more crap? Of course they would!

The stars converged at San Diego to drop cryptic hints about season eight of 24, including some tidbits about Katee Sackhoff, Freddie Prinze Jr. and Anil Kapoor's roles. And it looks like while Jack is playing house with his family, Renee is in a much darker place.

One of the best things about this past "day," was the evolution of Renee's character. It's been awhile since we've had a character in the field as capable as Jack (I miss you Ricky Schroder!). I especially enjoy how Jack's darkness infected and ultimately began to corrupt her. In the course of one day; Jack's worse than the gases he inhaled!

We're told that when Renee comes back, while Jack was finding his happy place in the nine months we've been gone, she'll have been in a much darker world. She lost the man she loved(?), compromised all of her principals and found solace in a man who's just this side of a monster ... but for a good cause. What a great character and arc to continue exploring. Could she be the next Audrey for our Mr. Bauer?

I am pleased to hear that the new season will be a more direct continuation of the previous season. Not since the Logan administration has this show been so good, so it'll be nice to see the Taylor administration continuing. I thought Cherry Jones did a fantastic job as the Commander in Chief.

With last season being one of the best, beginning with the special two-hour 24: Redemption telefilm, I can certainly understand wanting to keep things at least somewhat tied to that rejuvenation of the franchise. It'll help us put the bad memories of season six behind us. This year's adventure will revolve around an assassination plot surrounding a peace conference at the U.N. headed up by President Taylor and the Iranian President (Anil Kapoor).

The move from Callifornia to NewYork for CTU makes logistical sense as well, considering the White House is always such a key part of the storylines and the East Coast is the center of politics. I look forward to seeing the new set-up, as well as Chloe trying to fit back into the world of IT after her absence. Believe me, I know how hard it is to get back in after only one year away, so there will be an adjustment.

And apparently, that's where Dana Walsh (Katee Sackhoff) will be there to help, all smiles. It doesn't seem right that Starbuck would be all smiles, so I was pleased to see that she'll have a darker side. And with Prinze Jr. playing her husband, I guess she'll be a pretty major role as events unfold. Maybe she'll be the latest traitor within the walls of CTU; there's always at least one.
  • Tags:
  • 24

rd11

Season7 of 24 was indeed a great season. I have watched all 7 seasons this summer while awaiting season 8's return and found that all of them were really good, even 6 was ok. Anything with Keifer Sutherland has to be good. He's totally underrated as a great actor. And 24 is certainly the best drama on television these days. Check out Fringe, Supernatural, Smallville, and Sons of Anarchy all also good. Better than any of the other crap they show. Please keep 24 as long as possible, all else pales in comparison. Keep up the great work.

September 02 2009 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

Wow! just reading all of the comments it makes so excited for next season! Glad to hear some of my favorites returning!

August 05 2009 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carol

I loved Renee's character arc too. Looking way forward to season 8. I hope we get another season too as I don't feel like Jack's story [or Renee's] is done at one more season.

July 27 2009 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathanael

Renee was definitely the high point of season 7. Until her, I didn't think anyone could come close to equaling Jack in the field.

I have to admit, it will be oddly amusing to see Katee Sackhoff in the world of 24... especially spouting off all the technobabble the writers come up with!

July 27 2009 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caroms2051

Season 7 left some things to be resolved in Season 8: like --- how long are we going to have to wait until Jack and Renee finally get it on?

More to the point: will '24' be able to top the action sequences of some very recent spy/thriller movies? Especially the "shoot-out at the Guggenheim" sequence in Clive Owen's movie, "The International."

And bring back Jonas Hodges/Jon Voigt! We still need him to help us find those 'shadow conspirators!' Just because he appeared to have been blown up in a car explosion doesn't mean that is actually what happened, you know.

July 26 2009 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
relulu

No one will be like Audrey , its will be a big mistake to put Renee with Jack , Jack is a loyal and committed person , Jack older than Renee .. , am not buying that , Jack must should searching again on Audrey , trying to find her , if he want to help Renee .. I guess Renee told him once : don't tell me how to feel or not feel . it will be a big mistake really

July 26 2009 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Being one of the best... yeah... not so much. After the craptastic 6th season, anything would've been better.

Maybe I've just gotten used to watching the show but I remember being glued to the TV during the first three seasons who have all been better than season 7 so "one of the best" is a bit of a high praise. It was ok, that's just it. If it weren't for long term contracts the show would've been at the brink of cancellation during season six.

What was amazing in season seven is that they showed that torture doesn't work, something I would've never expected to see on 24. It was great to see that the show is capable of change, and that's what gives me hope for season eight.

July 26 2009 at 7:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ana

Season 7 was indeed the best, and the main reason was Renee. I hope they don't ruin the character.

July 25 2009 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

Audrey never died.

July 25 2009 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Shifty

Season seven was far from their best season. It was better than six but nothing more.

July 25 2009 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply