October 21, 2014

Lots of familiar faces promised for final season of Lost

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 25th 2009 9:28PM
Lost - Season One Cast
Juliet will be there. Faraday will be, too. "You'll be seeing many characters you haven't seen since the first season," said executive producer Damon Lindelof at the Lost Comic-Con panel. But what the hell does that mean?

They showed the crowd a fake America's Most Wanted on Kate Austen, as well as a commercial with Hurley promoting Mr. Cluck's fast food chain. This lead to Jorge Garcia (Hurley) asking the panel, from the audience, if those clips meant that Jack's stunt at the end of season five worked. Since they wouldn't say if Jack and Juliet were able to reset time, it was hard to tease anything. But that didn't mean we weren't offered some tantalizing Lost morsels to confuse us even more.

How is it that Faraday will be appearing? If Juliet is there, does she then survive. If time is reset, maybe that means something is wrong in the new timeline? Sure, you could just figure we're talking more flashbacks for these appearances of dead characters and others we haven't seen since season one, but it just didn't feel like that's what Lindelof and fellow executive producer Carton Cuse were trying to say.

We will, speaking of flasbacks, get Richard Alpert's back-story. This one I'm glad they waited until the final season. He's such a rich and mysterious character, to pull the curtain too soon would have ruined much of his mystique. Other than Claire being a secret word that led to a prize, there was no word on Aaron's missing mother except to say that at no point did Jacob appear as Claire to any of the characters.

Lindelof and Cuse promised a different approach to flashbacks for the final season, but did not clarify. They also indicated that the feel of the show will be more similar to the first season, which saw the cast running around in the jungle and getting to know one another. It also means very little, if any, Dharma Initiative.

But what does it all mean? I think, as I said before, that the reset works only maybe it wasn't supposed to. Or it works but something else starts to go wrong. Maybe all the characters can feel that something's wrong in their new lives? But then again, how can we evoke the jungle madness of season on if they're not on the island? Concrete jungle?

Oh who am I kidding, I don't have a freaking clue what any of it means. All I know is I want Mr. Eko to come back and maybe even Shannon and Libby. That way Sayid and Hurley can have a second chance at love and happiness. Poor guys have been getting dumped all over since the first season.

Mister Teacher

I just watched the Lost panel on YouTube, and it was awesome. But to clarify something said in this post -- the question posed to Damon and Carlton was Did Jacob ever appear to any of the castaways as someone else, FOR INSTANCE, Claire? So they did not just say that Jacob never appeared as Claire, this means that it has not been Jacob appearing as Jack's father, Mr. Eko's brother, Ben's mother, etc.

July 28 2009 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OK DeSign

my guess is that season 6 is the parallel time-lines season.
we will watch two (or more) possible time lines and in the end they will all emerge or something.

July 28 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tostie14

You can view the Lost panel in HD at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNjVeEBA_I

July 26 2009 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ola

Richard Alpert used to fight crime under the name Batmanuel.

July 26 2009 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Richard Alpert used to be mayor of Gotham City.

July 26 2009 at 7:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Richard Alpert's back-story:
He once was a reality tv show host of a semi-popular show of semi-castaways trapped on a island or some location week after week who were voted off week after week until the network pulled the plug and forgot to fly him back.

What nobody sees the similarity of their looks?

July 26 2009 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

My bet is it will work but something will still be off and they all have to fight the final bad guy together, the island will go poof forever, taking a couple of not-so-well-liked characters with it until eternity (Ben for instance). All previously dead will come to life again. Everybody will retain their memories and things will "start happening all over again", meaning knowledge of things to come will be present. A couple of characters will sacrifice themselves to keep the future from happening (again). It's basically a "second loop". Altruism will be a big part of it all (ripping off "Donny Darko" yet again). This time around, the "right" characters will die, it will be a so-so happy ending with the island going poof, taking some hated characters with it (Ben for instance) and most of the principal cast safe and sound back on the mainland.

With enough questions and story left for a movie.

July 25 2009 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to StillBash's comment
StillBash

Great I repeated myself again. Sorry. Off to bed now ;-)

July 25 2009 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Carlton. L.

Yes I know the corrections link. Feel free to delete my comment, I'm just too lazy right now it's 4:30am here and I'm hammered.

July 25 2009 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply