October 31, 2014

SYTYCD's Nigel Lythgoe reads TV Squad and defends Katie Holmes

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 25th 2009 11:00AM
Nigel LythgoeI won't take all the credit for it. I'm sure plenty of people have blasted Katie Holmes' crappy performance on So You Think You Can Dance this week. Hell, he may not have even read it here, but my narcissism demands that I believe it to be so.

So I'm taking it personally that Nigel Lythgoe is blasting right back ... at all of us! He tried to defend her performance by saying that she's not a dancer. He then says that everyone, including MJ, lip synchs when they dance. Well, which is it, Nigel? Was she or wasn't she dancing? Sure, it was a nice gesture, but it wasn't a good performance by any means.

When Roseanne Barr went out and sang the national anthem, it was a patriotic gesture by a celebrity. It was also terrible. Are we then wrong to say so, Nigel? Does that make us CHILDREN? If "We Are the World" had been little more than awful noise, should we have pretended to love it because it was for a good cause? Plus, you told us it was going to be great.

sam

I did not like her performance at all. I found it boring and awkward. I did not like the fact it was performed elsewhere. It felt like it was being filmed in an empty theater. Very odd. If I was in the audience I would have been disappointed it was not live. I would rather have seen Melissa or Janette perform that.

July 27 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

The problem is that she did this performance on a show that is all about dancing. The dancing didn't even compare to what we're used to seeing on that show, so it stuck out like a sore thumb. It might've been balanced out by really awesome singing, but the singing was just as mediocre. On another show, in a community theater, whatever, the performance might have been acceptable and fine, but in this venue - particularly this near the end when the dancing we're seeing is stellar - the performance was just out of place.

Note that I don't care if she's a dancer or a singer or not - that's not the point. It's just that the caliber of the performance did not fit the rest of the show! I commend her heart being in the right place, I just would've preferred to skip the gratuitous performance.

Of course they're going to defend the performance, and it's right that they would and should, even if only to not make an ass out of her. I'm fine with that. ;-)

July 27 2009 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

Katie was hyped beforehand because of who she is. I frankly never cared for any of her work. She's not even "just another pretty face". Without stage makeup and costume she would never receive a second glance on any street.This 100th celebration was hyped to get us all to tune in for ratings. The unfortunate choice of Katie only helped to alienate those who tuned in who might not have otherwise. Those viewers are lost for good now. For those of us who tune in weekly....we will now consider rethinking any future hype that comes our way, fearing another boring disaster. What a shame to end the season watching someone who has less dance finess than any of the contestants who tried out. Nigel made a very poor choice, he has no choice now but to try to salvage the mess made.

July 27 2009 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aurora

As a "song and dance routine", the staging was good, her singing was very good and the dancers with her were very good. However, as a feature piece for the show "So You Think You Can Dance", Katie's dancing was beginner level at best. It was the male dancers with her who did all of the dancing.

July 27 2009 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bee

It wasn't great, it was mediocre if anything.

July 27 2009 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAGOOS

This young lady is neither singer or dancer; her performance was abysmal when held up in front of the talented dancers on the show. That she gave her likely substantial fee to a useful organization is commendable. The late Judy Garland cannot be imitated in any way; even her fabled daughter Lisa cannot (and will not) commit such a "crime"!

July 27 2009 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Deej

Being "for the children" doesn't stop something from being crap. I refuse to be guilt tripped into liking something.

She was a waste of time that could have been spent on the past dancers

July 26 2009 at 6:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janie

Holmes just plain stunk. Lythgoe, as co-creator and producer has no choice but to defend Holmes. 100th show milestone was very disappointing. It would have been great to see Lythgoe, Murphy and Michaels dancing on the stage.

July 25 2009 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana Dalton

Personally I could have done without the entire routine. Love the idea of DizzyFeet and hope it is a HUGE success. The hype was what ruined this. If it was just another performance she would have weathered better.

I would have so much rather seen past dancers from the show. What are they up to now? Catch up with them. More stand-out performances from the past. Could have easily been 2 hours long. They only scanned the dancers from the past. Made most of the show about Katie Holmes. The 100th episode should have been huge...instead it was just disappointing. So much they could have done but instead decided to focus on the foundation. Make a special show for that...not the 100th! The 100th should have been about the last 100 shows and it's stars.

Sorry Katie Holmes but even with all the hype and all the wonderful gestures it just didn't deliver to the quality that this audience has become accustomed to. We expect more from anyone that steps foot on that stage.

July 25 2009 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saya

"everyone lip syncs when they dance" - um what about all the live theatre performers? I can tell you - musical theatre folk don't lip synch while dancing! (though it certainly would be easier at times!)

July 25 2009 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply