July 29, 2014

Heroes returning characters to their "normal" lives

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 26th 2009 12:42AM
HeroesRemember when Heroes was about ordinary people with extraordinary abilities? Well, after the last few seasons of time travel, daddy issues and government interference, Tim Kring and the team are taking Heroes back to basics. They'll have regular jobs an regular lives. In other words, they remembered why we liked the show in that first season, so they're trying to recapture lighting.

So you've got our cast trying to live regular lives after all the excitement they've been through. Add in a traveling carnival with an earth-moving leader luring other people with abilities into his troupe and you have the premise for at least the start of the season.

Oh, and that lesbian-esque relationship between Claire and her new college roommate we've been hearing about. Well, have to get buzz somehow, right? And make Claire interesting. Nothing else worked so let's try girl-on-girl action.

There were a few other tidbits offered about some other characters by the actors who play them:
  • HRG - He's busy re-establishing the company while his marriage andja personal life are crumbling around him
  • Hiro - Apparently, he really did mess himself up last year as now he's dying and working through a bucket list trying to fix past mistakes. Yep, time travel will be making a comeback.
  • Sylar/Nathan - Sharing a body, Adrian Pasdar seemed to be indicating that something of Nathan's consciousness may have survived death somehow?
  • Peter - Back to work as a paramedic, he's apparently lightened up a bit. More like when we first met him, maybe?
  • Micah - Well, he wasn't really there but I'm going to pretend he was and that he told us his character was going to be really important in the upcoming season. GO MICAH!
I wonder if Kring & Co. want us to think of this as season two rather than season four? I'm willing to try. I always liked this show better when it was more grounded in our familiar world. Now with added lesbianism.

Katie

Bring Back MICAH Full Time
That will make me happy :D
Oooo and Elle & Niki can return
But not Molly or Maya

August 21 2009 at 5:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maddy L

I love heroes , it's my favorite show . I think this new season looks great , it's got a new darker edge to it and I think the addition of carnies is going to bring something brand new to the show . I can't wait !

July 30 2009 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chet

Sorry, Heroes blew it one too many times. The only way to fix it is to make it so the last two season finales never happened.

July 26 2009 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

This is exactly what they said before the second half of last season started... the old Heroes! Yeah right. They had them in their normal lives for about 5 minutes.

This reminds me of Star Trek feature films over the past 25 years: "Our villain is the best since Khan."

No... no they aren't... and no, no, Heroes isn't ever going to return to what it was.

July 26 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edgore

I am having a very hard time getting excited about another season of Heroes. They just seem to be flailing around, with characters suddenly changing their motivations from one episode to the next for no good reason. I will probably still watch it though, which is the really sad part.

Oh, and it's lightning, not lighting that you generally try to recapture...

July 26 2009 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

Every few months they promise that it will be back to the "old" Heroes, and every year they get it wrong. What they lack is continuity. I'm tired of the resets, tired of the abandoned premises, tired of the "let's find something for this character to do" nonsense.

July 26 2009 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Vito's comment
kip

Exactly what I was thinking!

July 26 2009 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bubbameister33

They need character development not character regression.

July 26 2009 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I don't know. They promised that first, S3 and then, after that, that the second half of S3 would return to S1, but it didn't. And, I think the out-of-left-field girl-on-Claire action is a signal they're still desperately trying to capture the audience as opposed to creating well-developed characters. If Hiro and Ando suddenly had a relationship, I might buy it. I will continue to follow Heroes, but I remain hesitant.

July 26 2009 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Los

Heroes lost something a long way back. Maybe it was the mystery, maybe it was it's charm. Who knows, it's not the same anymore, I watched through the end of last season and hearing about this "hail mary" of a thing they are doing with Claire, I will not coming back. I beg everyone to let what was a good idea die already.

July 26 2009 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply