December 19, 2014

Is domestic violence really the best way to get me to buy a bathroom cleaner?

by Kona Gallagher, posted Jul 26th 2009 10:00AM
lime-a-way commercial
Picture it: An ad airs on television with a nice, middle-class woman grocery shopping with her young daughter. The woman's arm is in a sling, and a concerned older lady asks her what happened. "Oh, rollerblading," the woman replies. The butcher inquires if it was a skiing accident. "Um, mountain biking," is the quick and uncomfortable correction. The kid stocking the shelves asks the same question and gets yet another answer.

The woman continues to shop, and bumps her cart into another woman's. This woman, too, has a sling on her arm. They look at each other. They have a moment of realization. They are abused wives, going about their daily business and being forced to lie about how they sustained their injuries, and now they are being confronted with their own deception and excuses. It's a haunting public service announcement about domestic violence -- except it totally isn't.

Because it's an ad for EFFING BATHROOM CLEANER.

"Hard water stains, huh?" the second woman asks. "Yes, because if my tub isn't clean, my husband beats me," is surprisingly not what the woman says in this Lime-A-Way commercial. Instead, the idea is supposedly that the woman has been scrubbing her hard water stains so hard that she ... broke her arm?

What the hell?

"Give your arm a rest!" the announcer cheerily commands, because Lime-A-Way is apparently better at cleaning hard water stains than other cleaners, so you won't have to spend all day scrubbing your bathtub. Despite the fact that you have a child and apparently do other chores such as grocery shopping, you are also chained to your bathtub until every square inch shines like a sea of diamonds.

Ads for household cleaners aimed solely toward women are bad enough, but once you add a weird domestic violence subplot, you quickly veer into "worst commercial ever" category. I'd rather have a million Hardee's Biscuit Holes or Burger King blow job ads than have to watch this ridiculously tin-eared commercial ever again. All I know is I have never been more okay with leaving my hard water stains just the way they are.

Here's the ridiculous ad below:

T

I saw this too, and dedicated myself to NEVER buy anything from this company again. Ridiculous

July 29 2009 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anik

"Ads for household cleaners aimed solely toward women are bad enough, but once you add a weird domestic violence subplot, you quickly veer into "worst commercial ever" category."

Who added the weird domestic violence subplot? You did!

July 27 2009 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

Wow. Yeah, they hurt their arms from scrubbing. It has nothing to do with domestic violence. People joke about hiding injuries all the time. Were you just looking for something to get offended at?

July 27 2009 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joshed

I think you may have over reacted, and maybe need to find another hobby than reviewing commercials.

July 26 2009 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joshed

I thought this was written by a woman.

July 26 2009 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

I honestly thought the ad was joking about masturbation, like the two other ads you mentioned I thought they played up the sexual angle not the abuse angle.

July 26 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

July 26 2009 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Axel Harris

Gonna have to disagree here. Arm injury and embarrassment about injury on a woman does not automatically equal domestic violence. Someone get this writer a jump-to-conclusions pad.

July 26 2009 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Butters

Wow! How do you get domestic abuse out of that ad. Even when I watched the ad after reading your article I couldn't see any relationship to domestic abuse.

I am guessing that you are projecting your own issues onto this ad. Or perhaps you watched to many 'movies of the week' or soap operas and you now have to inject drama into even the most innocent of situations.

July 26 2009 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miller980

I've seen this ad many times and never once equated it with "domestic violence." I think you might be in the minority (aka a minority of one.)

July 26 2009 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply