December 22, 2014

Torchwood is back for another season

by Brad Trechak, posted Jul 26th 2009 12:03PM
Torchwood picked up for season fourOnline sources have been informed that Torchwood has been picked up for a fourth season. This is not surprising considering the excellent ratings received by the BBC for Season 3, despite relegating that season to a five-episode mini-series.

Spoilers follow. You have been warned.

The brilliant thing about the next season of Torchwood is that the creators have a chance to start from scratch. Ianto is dead. Jack is gone. Gwen is pregnant. Gwen could decide after the baby is born to start a new team. Or, Jack could come back. Or Ianto could return from the dead (it's happened on the show before).

The powers that be could even decide to start a new team from scratch, although I think something would be missing without at least Captain Jack around. Torchwood (the organization, not the show) has gone through many incarnations and survived much worse than the slaughter or dissolution of a particular set of members. Whatever is decided, I look forward to it.

XterMin8

Speculation regarding the content of the 4th season is what keeps things interesting. I lament the loss of Tosh and her quirky yet brilliant self every bit as much as Ianto. I don't require the return of Capt. Jack in order to maintain any continuity for the series. I know he's out there, and if he returns hey that's great. However, Gwen represented the moral compass of the show, she was it's humanity. Every episode saw the erosion of her objections, her dabbling into the unknown and it's mysteries. I only hope she is still involved in the next incarnation.

October 18 2009 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DrWhoLeo

Became addicted to Torchwood after seeing the 5 part miniseries "Children of Earth." NetFlix'ed seasons 1 and 2. Talk about exciting...loved it. Need a season 4 with Captain Jack

August 30 2009 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

Season Three is well unto unforgivable. They have pretty much killed off the series along with most of the major characters. Shame on them. I'm through with BBC. We've got enough trash, family-pablum TV in America as it is without importing whatever garbage they are setting the stage for.

August 27 2009 at 2:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maurice Manhattan

Since Doctor Who changes characters but remains Dr. Who why not Captain Jack too? He could come back and recruit the old characters of Gwen and Martha or even Michelle Ryan from Dr. Who.
I liked that aliens were getting high by using Earth kids. That was great. I think the key though is the writing and visual skills of the program. They can create a brand new Torchwood team and I'll be watching.

August 23 2009 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

I'm not sure this series would be the same without Captain Jack. With so much of what made this series great destroyed and dead, Torchwood without Captain Jack would not be worth watching in my opinion.

July 26 2009 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

Great work TV Squad, an obvious highlighted link spoiler BEFORE the break.. thanks a lot for that lack of respect.

I get that you're warning for spoilers, but that should mean they're AFTER the page break, not before..

July 26 2009 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Diane's comment
Leroy

Sorry, but I just don't understand spoilerphobes. Get a life. Or if that's beyond your powers, stop reading TV Squad, and your fragile fantasy world will stop being totally destroyed.

July 27 2009 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryan Price

Jack's been gone before. I think (and hope) that he will be back. Gwen's been the other constant through the series. I just can't see starting a whole new crew without continuing to use what characters are left.

Although I do expect Rhys to become even more involved, although having a kid is just going to make Gwen's life even more complicated than it is.

July 26 2009 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

I think the only way I could forgive the loss of Jack and Ianto would be if Martha Jones quit UNIT to rebuild Torchwood.

I doubt the show would be back without Jack, though. And family friendly fare or not, I think Barrowman is very committed to maintaining TV visibility for the sexually ambivalent. Jack and Gwen have been the real heart of the series all the way through and as long as the writers find a believable reason for bringing them back together, I can imagine a great future for the series.

July 26 2009 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dec2006

Well, the rift aint gonna quit just because Jack did.

I could totally see Bored-Housewife-Gwen get back into the game with little Ianto Cooper (Rhys would never let the kid be named after Jack) in tow. Especially after Dekker and Lois Habiba show up on her doorstep asking her for help.

There is no rule about building a child care facility into the new hub...

July 26 2009 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alasdair Lumsden

I suspect Jack is not coming back. John Barrowman is doing a lot of high profile prime time work, family friendly work. I guess the adult and gays storylines in Torchwood may cause issues with this aspect of his career.

My guess is that this mini series was aimed at geting a substantial chunk of Torchood out, quickly, before he starts on "Family friendly singing show 3", for example. Then the show has its out for him not being in the next season and leaves him with the oppurtunity to come back later if he gets canned.

The problem, I think, is that Jack was a worringly central character and the feel of the show may be changed too much. They could clone him in all but name, but it would feel like that as Jack is a very distinct character.

I love Torchwood and I hope it continues, maybe the dangerous dark side we saw in "Children of Earth" could be more prevalent in the series to offset this?

July 26 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alasdair Lumsden's comment
Jimmy_MO

Considering John Barrowman is an out and proud gay actor I doubt the gay story lines were that big of a deal for him. Captain Jack has been presented as a bisexual since his first appearance on Doctor Who so it seems Barrowman would have expected this going into a series that focused on Captain Jack.

July 26 2009 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply