October 31, 2014

Jericho: Season Three kicks off in October from Devil's Due Publishing

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 27th 2009 9:04AM
Jericho: Season ThreeAt a special panel over the weekend at Comic-Con, Devil's Due Publishing presented the new "season" of Jericho, coming this October to a comic shop near you. And they've brought the original writing team from the series to the comic book. Which means, this will be about as true a continuation of the true ongoing vision for Jericho as you can imagine.

Executive producers Jon Steinberg and Dan Shotz revealed that the new series will take the characters right into the Civil War that was brewing in the second season. They're excited about the possibilities the comic format allows them. As a comparable example, when IDW brought "season six" of Angel to comics, they transported much of L.A. to a plane of hell, something that would have been cost prohibitive in a live action series.

This means we can see tons of crazy action, and maybe even some more shots of what this post apocalyptic world these people live in looks like outside of Jericho and the surrounding communities. Not to mention that they won't have anyone at CBS trying to poke their nose into what's going on. The story begins with a six-issue mini-series which sets up the new season before they continue with a larger arc.

The big question, of course, is if fans of the show will find their way to a comic shop to pick up the continuation of the saga. I'll guess that most won't. I'm sure a collection of this might find its way into traditional book stores, so maybe they'll find it there?

Comic iterations of television series have become big business for many companies, including series continuations like Farscape, Buffy and Angel, as well as comics for Fringe, Eureka, and even The Muppet Show. Jericho had such a rabid fan base, I think this is an honorable way to continue the story they fought so hard for.

And they haven't given up hope on that movie. What do you think? Is it too much to follow a series you like to a different format? Is it the trouble of finding a comic shop that's the problem? Or are you like so there!!

cody dematteis

the best way to find your local comic shop is to visit the comic shop locator : http://www.comicshoplocator.com/

and, maggie was jon steinberg's baby daughter that he had up with him on the panel. :)

July 30 2009 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara

Buffy brought me into my first comic book store with 'Season 8' and since then I've bought the 'canon' comics of Fringe, X-Files and Angel.
I'll buy the Jericho comic and spread the word to the old Jericho boards. I'm sure fans would buy the comic series. I'm excited to see what they've come up with for 'Season 3.'

July 27 2009 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
larry

i was at the panel for jericho and you can bet im gonna be at my comic shop the day it comes out and they better give me my john smiith and hawking fight i asked for

July 27 2009 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

I'm drooling already. I will be buying every issue. Maybe two, and keep one pristine. Or just read them over and over, like I do watching the show. I really hope they do a good job on them.

July 27 2009 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AKansan

I am "like so there!" Never bought a comic book before, but I'll be buying these. Also wondering who "Executive producer Maggie Steinberg" is... do you mean Jonathan Steinberg?? We love our Jericho writers/producers, so let's get them the credit they deserve.

July 27 2009 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to AKansan's comment
AKansan

Thanks for correcting Jon Steinberg's name!

July 27 2009 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PhillyPhan

I don't buy comic books but I do know exactly where a comic book store is right in my neighborhood. Besides you can purchase the books online - I already have pre-registered with Amazon.com for the "book."

As to whether I will continue to follow the story in this format - that depends on these first 6. If I like I will go back for more.

I do wish, however, they could do something with a book, a messageboard and perhaps webisodes? That would be real cool!

N2N2