April 18, 2014

Torchwood approved for full fourth season - Comic-Con Report

by John Scott Lewinski, posted Jul 27th 2009 9:33AM
John Barrowman will return for a fourth season of Torchwood.A Torchwood panel headlined by Russell T. Davies and John Barrowman was the last big event of Comic-Con International this year. While it didn't pack any huge revelations, it did come with good news for fans. The show will return for a full season in 2010.

The BBC decided to make the show's third season, "Children of Earth," into a week-long miniseries event. It was a huge ratings success in the U.K. and fared well on BBC American in the U.S. So, the Beeb is giving it a longer run.

But, Davies had no news on how many episodes fans could look forward to, while Barrowman offered little insight on how his Captain Jack character would return to the series after his exit at the conclusion of "Children of Earth."

"It's too early," Davies said. "We haven't even sat down for meetings on (the new season) yet."

A major concern for the crowd was the fate of Ianto Jones (Gareth David-Lloyd). Fans chanted for the dead character's return to the show.

But, Davies squashed that: "Even in Torchwood, dead is dead."

Of course, the show's second season featured a main character who was essentially an animated corpse, but it's Davies' show.

jaye michelle

Gwen once promised Lois a job for the help she gave them, so recruit Lois. I too will miss Ianto, but let us move on and give some new actors a chance to be as charming. Maybe another Unit member will defect. Of course, Capt. Jack will be back ("if they build it, he will come") and he may return with a new addition to the team. The important thing is that we are getting a Season 4.

August 15 2009 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GuyB

Dead is dead? Yeah right?

Well, being Torchwood's ability to space travel, he can time travel too and go back to the moment before those alien baddies close down Thames House and get him out before the poison spews.

Time travel is the best solution really. Or else it was just a dream...

August 05 2009 at 3:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara Hamel

I miss Ianto. Please, please bring him back somehow.

July 30 2009 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJ

I can't believe they are making another serise! Ianto is staying dead :( I think they should bring him back the amount of complaits fanfic and rip Ianto Jones on social networks is unreal! I am very happy about the new serise but I will not be watching it! They need to get some desent writters!

July 29 2009 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kerry

We love Torchwood and are thrilled to see another season come. We all wonder how in the world will Captain Jack come back but I believe the writers will have something extra creative that will fit right in. We will all be surprised!! The mini-series had my gut retching, pins and needles and on the edge of my seat. It is amazing writing and acting. And yea for Gwen, my new hero. You have really grown naturally into your character and so strong and courageous. Thanks to all involved in Torchwood and yes, we need John Barrowman or let it go!!!

July 27 2009 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

Dead is dead. Riiiight. I think it's funny how he said that only minutes after showing a Who preview in which a character who was decidedly dead last season is returning.

And it's not like Torchwood itself hasn't made "dead is dead," a big fat lie itself quite a few times now, too.

If he wants to keep Ianto dead, okay. I don't like it, but okay. But at least he should come up with a line that he himself hasn't repeatedly violated.

I'm cautiously excited about a new season, if John Barrowman is there.

July 27 2009 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarch5

I'll be there no matter what!!! Torchwood is the best!!!

July 27 2009 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

But, Davies squashed that: "Even in Torchwood, dead is dead."

Oh sure, that makes sense. After all, Susie died in the pilot and never came back. Oh wait, she did. And then Rhys died in the S1 finale and never came back. Oh wait, he did too. And then Owen died, and stayed inanimate and silent like a normal dead person. Oh wait... And then there's Jack...

July 27 2009 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

YIPPEE. I am so thrilled. Jack, please come back!! Ms. Habiba needs a job! I'm happy. I, too, wondered about Sarah Jane. You know she would have been working to help. That would have made a cool crossover. It wasn't kid friendly, but I would have liked to see her with Jack again, ha ha.

July 27 2009 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorothy Evins

The series opening states that Torchwood exists untill the 21st Century...that's when everything changes.
I'm sure RTD knew from the start the direction this show was taking.

July 27 2009 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply