July 22, 2014

True Blood: Hard-Hearted Hannah

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jul 27th 2009 4:38AM
True Blood - Hard-Hearted Hannah

(S02E06) "In person, she looks like vanilla pudding." - Sookie to Hugo, describing Sarah Newlin

Disturbing. Sexy. Gross. Creepy. Mysterious. Musical. Scary. Funny. How a show can pack so much into one hour is beyond me. We'll start with the amazing Alan Ball and work our way down through the actors, writers, and the rest of the crew. I'm sure even craft services has a spread of delicious food for these folks every day.

I fell in love with season one of True Blood, and each episode of season two keeps raising the bar higher and higher. This was the best one yet, with plenty of new drama, mystery and, yes, disturbing stuff.

Let's start with the disturbing. I've seen some gross stuff on TV, but I can' recall anything quite as gross as the flashback scene where Bill and Lorena lure that unsuspecting couple at the 1920s speakeasy into a creepy partner swap with a twist -- and I'm not just talking about Lorena twisting that guy's head either. The scene where Bill sucks the blood out of that poor girl, then he and Lorena have sex in that bloody bed while blood spurts out of her neck beside them ... ewwww ...

But who knew that Bill had such a lovely voice?! Really, seeing him in a tux and tickling the ivories while crooning a tune was lots of fun.

Also in the fun category was Eric's encounter with the vampire whore. I wanted to laugh when he said it's not as much fun for him if she actually likes it -- but it didn't seem right, so I just chuckled quietly in the darkest part of my heart. But Eric doesn't seem as badass as he was in season one. I just knew that when they cut his lovely hair off, he'd be less menacing.

I could be way off base here, but my first thought when we learned that Eric had invited Lorena to Dallas was to distract Bill so Eric could get closer to Sookie (because Eric said, "Bill has something I want" and "Sookie is something more than human."). But did Eric know that Sookie would get in trouble at the Light of Day, and Bill wouldn't be able to save her? I mean, it seems clear that Steve and Sarah are holding Godric in the basement, because Sookie heard Steve thinking about bringing a 2000-year-old vampire up from the basement.

I was a little confused about whether Steve and Sarah possess thought-reading abilities, too. Because when they were standing in the sanctuary, Sookie was hearing Steve wonder if she could hear him. And then Sarah thought, "Come on, Steve, she's probably scared right now because the vampires made her do it."

That was a pretty sexy scene with naked Sam and Daphne on the pool table at Merlotte's, but my suspicions about her leading him down a dangerous path came true when she led him straight into Maryann's den of sex-horror. So was Daphne lying when she told Sam that she didn't know what gave her the scars? Maybe she was just under Maryann's spell when she led Sam there, told him "It's the end of the road," and put the ram's head on Maryann.

And could Maryann be any more annoying? First she weasels her way into staying at Sookie's, then complains mightily about there being no hot water. I'm with Tara: "I wish I had a fancier crib for you to squat in, but I don't." If Maryann's so all-powerful, why doesn't she use her spells to fix the hot water heater? Just sayin'.

I'm guessing that the place Eggs and Tara found in the woods is another of Maryann's horror-sexcapades. There were clothes scattered everywhere and blood on the rocks. Not sure about the markings on the rocks, though. Any ideas?

That was kind of a touching scene when Terry defended Lafayette and told Andy to leave him alone. Then Terry hugged Lafayette and said, "I want you to imagine a golden, glowing ball, radiating warmth and safety." I guess that's the redneck version of comfort and sympathy. Very sad and creepy, though, when Lafayette freaked out and thought it was Eric, not Andy, yelling at him about locking him up. Loved Lafayette's fishnet top, though.

Ok, so we know that Daphne's go-to shift is a pig, so that was probably her with Maryann when we first encountered them in the road. Right? And now Andy is hot on their trail and something is going to give big-time. I guess it was a fun little tie-in when Tara and Eggs came home to find the place trashed, and one of them said, "People are pigs."

The ending scene with Sookie and Hugo being dragged into the basement -- chilling. Especially when Sarah told Jason that Steve's "not the man I thought he was. You're not being trained to defend us. He wants to use you to start a war. He's vicious and he's cruel, and he uses the C word. And he lies to me, Jason. Our marriage has always been a partnership, and now he's shutting me out."

What do you think is up with Eric sending Pam to instruct Lafayette to start selling V again -- after they locked him in the basement and tortured him for three weeks for doing just that?

Other points of interest:

• Hugo telling Sookie that he and Isabel fight about her refusal to turn him, thus putting the idea into Sookie's head that she'll get old one day while Bill will still be young. "It's ok," she tells Hugo, "because if I die today, I don't have to feel old and unloved and unwanted."
  • Before opening the sanctuary doors, Steve telling "Holly and Rufus": "Sometimes when we open these doors, so much love comes flowing out that it'll knock you down if you're not ready for it." And Sookie saying, "We'll be sure to brace ourselves."
  • Luke and Jason's conversation about sex, and Luke saying, "But all of them put together ain't half as bad as if you do it to a vampire. Or to a dude. Or to a vampire dude. That's like the creme de la creme of sins. There's no repentance for that. Straight to hell, baby."
  • Lafayette telling Andy he'd been on a gay cruise, and Andy saying, no, because if that was the case, Lafayette would have come back with pizazz.
  • Hoyt telling his mother to re-activate his phone so he can call Jessica, then showing up at Jessica's hotel room in Dallas. And Jessica saying, "I'm so happy I could cry, but I don't wanna because it's really gross when I do."
  • Sam telling Daphne: "If you don't go out back right now and take off all your clothes, I will fire you."
  • When they returned home, Tara telling Eggs, "I feel like that kid in E.T., except instead of following Reese's Pieces, we're following clothes."

I'll end with this:

Jason: "Jason Stackhouse, abstinent."
Luke: "Sounds good, doesn't it?"
Jason: "Not really."

I look forward to your thoughts on this episode.

jb

On the whole Lafayette selling V, episode or two back Eric mentioned another vampire disappearing and suspected a V dealer and I believe he wants to use Lafayette to determine who that dealer is.

July 29 2009 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jb's comment
jh

I think the V that they are making Lafayette sell is probably Eric's blood, and he's using it to keep track of the buyers so he can find the missing vampire.

July 29 2009 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I love Hoyt and Jessica! Can't wait to see what happens with them. Great episode overall. Read my recap here: http://www.pbpulse.com/tv/2009/07/27/sookie-vs-the-sun-on-true-blood/

July 28 2009 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shaun

the vampire traitor is the mind reader sookie met that worked at the hotel. Think about it.

July 27 2009 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JWest

I normally don't comment on this site, I just read the reviews but I saw some questions regarding the rest of the season and wanted to post a link to the teaser video for True Blood that was created for comic con. Warning, the video is a somewhat spoiler.

July 27 2009 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pinsleric

I'm betting that Eric wants Lafayette to sell V so that he can get his client list. That seems to make a lot of sense to me.

July 27 2009 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

The scene between Terry and Lafayette - Terry was giving him the standard "find your happy place" speech for people dealing with PTSD. Seeing Terry suffers from it, I think he saw that Lafayette is too - so Terry identified with him.

I think it is Bill's maker, Lorena is the one who set up Sookie and is the leak. She wants Bill to herself at all costs, even the cost of Eric's maker, Godric. Eric wouldn't set Sookie up, he is too intrigued. He let Lafayette go for her...just a thought.

The Maryann scenes were pretty creepy. Do the sex-crazed people not remember what they did the night before? Was it me or the seasons for next week show Sam alive, the about to be sacrificed? Because I don't remember that scene of him and Daphne talking in episodes past. Was that an error in showing that?

Love the episode - I wish they could last longer. This is the only show where an hour seems a lot shorter.

July 27 2009 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csttar63

i live in new orleans and loved the movie "THE BIG EASY" from back in 1988. so, i noticed that the actor who played "RUFUS" as Sookie's fake finance was the same guy who played Dennis Quaid's brother Bobby in that movie. if anyone saw the movie he was the brother who got shot when it was raining. any concurs.?

July 27 2009 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Laura: First of all, I've never read the books. So I only know what I see on the TV show. As such, anyone could be anything, from a mind-reader to a shape-shifter to a werewolf.

I question Lafayette's homosexuality because when he was Eric's prisoner, he didn't seem the least bit feminine/gay. Same when we see him alone at his house. It seems the only time he acts gay is when he's at work, or with his friends. I'm not making any moral judgments here, I have no problem with homosexuality. It just seems to me that Lafayette is selectively effeminate. And I do not see why anyone (especially a black guy in a small town in the deep south) would pretend to be gay, or otherwise put on a "gay act"... makes no sense. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being gay, but I'd bet a lot of the redneck jesus-licking small-town hicks in a place like Bon Temps, LA, would not agree with me on that. It's hard enough to be a minority in a place like that, let alone an outwardly homosexual one. Why would Lafayette act gay only sometimes?

July 27 2009 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to bruce's comment
laura

Bruce:

what does "act gay" mean to you, how is he not "acting gay" when he is home alone? because he isnt prancing around, wearing makeup, and dressing up? dont we all deserve to relax in our own homes? good lord.

Alan Ball specifically said that he made lafayette a STRONG gay black man in Louisiana because its hard enough to be a black man, but a gay black man? you had better be tough enough to make it through each day!

Bruce he is gay, stop questioning that.

July 27 2009 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

I think when faced with probable and imminent death and I were generally a flamboyant gay guy - I would lose the flamboyance, lose the lightness in my loafers. Also, having survived - I would probably lay on the couch for days too. That being said I am a straight woman.

Since he returned to work - he is dressing the same and wearing makeup, however the guy is probably still in shock from the whole ordeal.

Lastly, last season Lafayette was as carefree at home as he was anywhere. Making his movies, having his lovers over, etc. Did you watch season one?

July 27 2009 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

The episode was great in advancing the storyline. I liked the flashback scenes with Lorena and Bill, utterly disturbing. Maryann orgies are getting kind of old since they happen every episode and nothing ever comes of it. Once or twice, but this is like the fourth one. I have a full review on my blog.

July 27 2009 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iambored

I really cannot remember much about this episode ( I missed watching it live since I went and saw the awesome movie the ugly truth) that wasn't in Living Dead In Dallas. I just finshed the book so I can guess how Sookies inprisonment ends. It is awesome in the book ( chapter 6) so I am guessing it will be awesome on the show. I'm not exactly sure where Maryanns story with same is going since her character is a lot different than the book

July 27 2009 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply