October 25, 2014

Nurse Jackie: Pupil

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jul 28th 2009 4:16AM
Nurse Jackie - Pupil

(S01E08) "Honey, I know I'm pretty, but you just wasted 30 seconds staring at me." - Mo-Mo, to a male nurse who needs to get back to work

Well, there are certain things about Nurse Jackie that you just know are going to come into play. Like the assisted suicide story we had recently, and tonight's chilling opening scene where Jackie's daughter accidentally gets Jackie's drugs mixed into the sprinkles on her doughnut (loved that slo-mo camera work, though).

Sooner or later, Jackie's not going to catch stuff like that, and it'll be disastrous. I know we've talked about this before, but you have to wonder how she can function so well doing all those drugs. And what would happen if she suddenly didn't have access to them.

I'm sure nurses and doctors can identify with tonight's episode, where the ER is overworked and understaffed. But how do you think the temp nurse knew that Jackie was doing drugs? Just a hunch?

I do love how she told the patient who couldn't get any service from the temp, "If you don't get everything you need in the next five minutes, this man over here is going to pay you $50." Jackie knows how to get things done. Maybe all those drugs help her cut through the crap. Or who knows, maybe she'd get five times as much stuff done without the drugs.

So, Cooper and Eddie both know that Jackie has a kid. I've been thinking about this, and for me, it would be really hard to keep my private life out of my work life. I've worked in offices before, and my coworkers have all become like family to me. They knew everything about me, and I knew everything about them. Maybe I'm just an open book that way. At least Jackie has Dr. O'Hara to help her keep some perspective on things.

Regarding Grace's panic attack at school, you have to think that some of Jackie's stressful work-life is getting passed on to her family. It would be hard to have that sort of job and not bring it home. I think Jackie gets that, too, as she noted to O'Hara while puffing frantically on a cigarette: "I think I make her worse. I really do."

More Thoughts:

Funny: The restaurant guy being afraid to tell O'Hara to stop smoking.

Adorable: That baby in Mrs. Akalitus' care. Wonder how that will play out.

Dramatic: The blow-up between Dr. Cooper and Nurse Jackie.

Sweet: Zoey.

Cute: Jackie's jealousy over him not bringing her coffee: "You bet your ass I am, you big homo."

Helpful: Jackie telling the patient's daughter how to get around the HMO: "Don't write oncology or exploratory surgery on anything. It should all go to the insurance company of the guy who hit your mother." Take notes, everyone.

Hopeful: Jackie singing the karaoke version of "Up on the Roof" to her daughters.

Your thoughts?

Kadoo

"Jackie knows how to get things done." That is just a skill good nurses have. I really hope the drugs don't become to distracting in this show.

This is the first episode that they seemed to let on that Jackie is the head nurse. I might not have noticed it before.

Dr. Cooper is about to feel a world of hurt for gossiping about a nurse. Eddie seems to been around for a while knows better.

July 29 2009 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

Hmmm, yeah, I guess melancholy. Maybe I was putting my own thoughts about the song into it - re if you're having a bad day or going through a rough patch, you can always go up on the roof and everything will be better. I was thinking that was the message Jackie was offering her daughter. That things always change and you'll feel better at some point, and it helps to step back and gain perspective.

July 28 2009 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyn

Jackie's daughter is just a reflection of the chaos in Jackie's work and home life. A mini-me, if you will. Jackie and the hubby are not addressing the problem, simply putting a bandaid on it by changing schools. I love Zoey. She brings so much to the show.
Can't stand the English doctor- how would you like to have her as your doctor?

July 28 2009 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I didn't think that "Up on the Roof" was hopeful at all. It must of crushed Grace to hear her mother singing that "people were too much" for her, the day that Grace had a panic attack. The emotional transition from Grace's excitement that Jackie was singing to her turning away, obviously upset. Jackie wasted a perfect moment to connect with her daughter, she really did make it worse. On another note, Edie Falco's voice really lent itself to the song.

July 28 2009 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
scott

yeah, definitely not hopeful - melancholy would be a better word.

July 28 2009 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamored8907

I somehow missed the part where Jackie but the drugs on her donut (I thought she just dropped it). But this show keeps getting better weekly!

I have to contain myself from watching next weeks episode asap since it seems to air a week early somewhere else and is online the same day as this weeks.

July 28 2009 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rcolarini

As far as I'm concerned they can award next year's Emmy to Edie Falco right now. She is extraordinary

July 28 2009 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

i dont think very many people would be able to keep their work & home lives completely seperate like jackie does.

as for the drugs, i know of a few people who can be high in one way or another & be fully functional & hide it.

also, i really wish someone would cast alexie gilmore in another show. i mis her since new amsterdam. its nice seeing her pop up here & there.

July 28 2009 at 5:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply