April 21, 2014

The end is near for Guiding Light

by Allison Waldman, posted Jul 28th 2009 2:30PM
Guiding_Light_Coopers_bar
There will be no reprieve from the governor, no last minute miracle save. No, the end is approaching and Guiding Light will stop filming the week of August 3. The CBS soap opera will air its last show on September 18, 2009, and the 72-year-long run of America's most enduring daytime drama will officially wrap.

Fans have been hoping that somehow, someway Guiding Light would find a new home, but neither CBS nor Procter and Gamble have been able to save the show. Soapcentral.com has reported that efforts have been made to no avail. "We have not been able to secure an outlet to carry the show moving forward. We are extremely disappointed with this outcome, but we are confident we have exhausted every possible option," said TeleNext Media SVP Brian T. Cahill.

This is hardly a surprise, although I hoped DirecTV might give the show a whirl the way it had with NBC's Passions. No doubt Passions' failure on DirecTV didn't help Guiding Light's chances, although I believe the loyal following for GL exceeds that of Passions. Judging by the emails we've received here at TVSquad, the Guiding Light faithful is as strong and vocal as that for any other soap currently on the air.

Still, Guiding Light is being switched off and that's just the way it is. One of the biggest stars from the show, Crystal Chappell, has already been snatched up by Days of Our Lives, and others are rumored to be getting new jobs, as well. The GL company has made a donation of $10,000 to the borough council of Someret County where it has been filming for two years, and it will donate its entire wardrobe to a New York-based charity that helps economically disadvantaged women find employment.

melissa

i will miss it alot its my favorite soap ever please can u fix it and keep it going alot of people watch it so try and save it thanks so much if not guess i will be watching nothing just not into the other soaps so hopefully guiding light can be saved

September 14 2009 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joyce g

I love watching this show . i was hoping something would happen and they would keep it on. i will not be watching nothing else in its place ,for shore not no game show are talk show nothing will take it's place , i have watch it for so long i will miss it so much

September 14 2009 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judy

Ifeel like im loosing my best friends my days have always been plained around the time for guiding light I have gone through several of my soaps ending But loosing guiding light is the worst Ihave cried Im mad and just dont understand how they can take one of the all time greatest soaps off the air Ithink this is a big mistake I am saddened and will miss this show for yrs to come .

September 08 2009 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce Johansen

Guiding Light is a wonderful soap about family relationships. This past year I didn't want to miss a single episode. It has been the best soap on Tv. The storyline was great and the actors were tops. I won't be watching CBS ever again or will I ever buy another Proctor and Gamble product. ABC seems to promote their soaps. CBS did nothing.

September 08 2009 at 1:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
P.A.Mathews

I will also turn off CBS When it is time for The Guiding Light to come on. And I sure do not want to watch some Game show or ot Talk show. I want the LIGHT to Shine. At least it is not a repeat everytime it comes on !!!!!!!!!!!!

August 21 2009 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
g\'ma lady

I will be sorry to see it go. It was on the radio before tv and I have watched it on and off for 47 years. When I was expecting my first child, I sat and watched it with my Mom in Law when it was 15 minutes long! Those were the days of "Bill and Berta Bauer and G'pa Fredrick Bauer". The oldest son, "Mike" had a beautiful voice and would sing occasionally at a wedding on the show, etc. During the early days of transplants, "Bill" had a heart transplant on the show with about 4 doctors in attendance, and they showed a real Heart-Lung Machine......oh, it was very exciting for the time! As characters came and went, it has always been my favorite soap, and I'm sorry to see it go....RIP, Guiding Light and thanks for the memories...

August 13 2009 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to g\'ma lady's comment
Cleta

The last day of GL will be very sad for me. I, too, started watching when it was only 15 minutes long. I feel like I grew up with the Bauer family - they became my extended family. I've laughed & cried with the storylines. We have seen a lot of talented actors & actresses on this show. I wish all of them the best of luck & will be watching for them on other shows. It is the only one that has kept my interest for all these years.

August 13 2009 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
peggy

Well that will be it for me. Guiding Light is the only soap I watch. I've watched it for at least 25years. So be it but, it will make me very aware of watching cbs shows because I will not want to see it happen again and I know it will. I will miss it I just retired, when I was working I still watched to keep up with the story line. I hope all the actors find work and want to congratulate them on a job well done. Thanks to all of you

August 11 2009 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
blueeyedwolf

No disappointment here. Never been a soap fan, but I know my mom will miss it alot. She has been watching whenever she was able to for 35 yrs. Geeezzzzz that's along time.

August 11 2009 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dawna

I have watched all the cbs soaps since I was very little. I am 44 now, and can remember my mother watching them with me. It will be a sad day when GL goes of the air. I can only hope that they will have a come back show like they did with dallas at some point in time.

August 07 2009 at 6:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kay

I will post on every blog and any other place i can find on web. for all the people that want guiding light to stay that they shut down all tv channel that cbs stations are on as of shows as of the last showing of guidind light and not watch anything that has to do with cbs untell we hear from nbc or cable that is brought back this is so wrong

August 04 2009 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kay's comment
KELLEY

I most likely will be shutting down cbs in my home. I have watched GL all my life. That show kept me on CBS for B&B and ASWT. Now, I think I'm done. Who's to say they won't pull the plug on the other two?

August 04 2009 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply