October 31, 2014

What's the greatest year for debuts in TV history?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 28th 2009 3:00PM
FriendsI was reading a story over at Entertainment Weekly about whether or not 1984 was the greatest year for movies ever (answer: no). It got me thinking: what's the best year for TV show debuts in history?

There are a lot of choices. In 1994 we saw the premiere of Friends, ER, The Game Show Network, Due South, Touched By An Angel, My So-Called Life, and Inside The Actors Studio. Or how about 2000, which saw the debuts of Survivor, Ed, CSI, and Curb Your Enthusiasm? And 2004 wasn't too shabby either, with the launches of Lost, Rescue Me, Entourage, Veronica Mars, House, and Desperate Housewives.

Going back even further there's 1961, which saw the debuts of The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Avengers, Password, ABC's Wide World of Sports, The Mike Douglas Show, and Ben Casey. Or how about 1985, with Golden Girls, MacGyver, Moonlighting, Larry King Live, VH-1, and Growing Pains.

We could probably make a list for several different years.

Robert

Someone said BATTLESTAR GALACTICA debuted in 2005. that is incorrect. As a TV series it debuted in 2004 as well, solidifying in my mind it as the best debut season ever. BSG appeared in 2003 as a miniseries, but Season One was in 2004.

August 16 2009 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OK DeSign

for me, 2004 is the best TV year.

July 28 2009 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
borgetas

In my opinion it's 2005:
-Battlestar Galactica
-The Office (U.S. version)
-Grey's Anatomy

Dragonball Z
Saved By The Bell
Alien Nation
Baywatch
Family Matters
Doogie Howser, M.D
not emmy winners but in terms of longevity and fan favorites it wins not to mention Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers and Tales from the crypt.

July 28 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

A lot of good shows hit during the 2001-2002 season, including 24, Six Feet Under (debuted June 2001), The Shield (Spring 2002), Alias, and Smallville.

July 28 2009 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

I'l always remember the 2004-2005 season for ABC. Lost, Desperate Housewives, Boston Legal & Grey's Anatomy. I never watched ABC before that year (except for the odd Disney Movie) and I suddenly found myself watching mostly ABC.

July 28 2009 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply