April 23, 2014

And the most promising new shows of the fall are ...

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 29th 2009 7:30PM
The Jay Leno ShowEvery year, various ad agencies, marketers, and consultants choose which new TV shows they think are going to be winners, and which are going to crash and burn. They're not always accurate, of course, but it's still interesting to see what they pick.

NewsMediaMetrics says that The Jay Leno Show will not only do well, it will be a "powerhouse." They also see NCIS: Los Angeles as being a hit, and good things ahead for Flash Forward, Glee, The Forgotten, Cougar Town, and Eastwick.

Of course, these predictions could be completely off, especially as new episodes of shows are made and networks change their schedules around (though the company has an 85% success rate). Not really sure how they could measure Leno's show accurately, since there isn't any footage of the show yet. I guess they're basing it on Leno's name, his run on The Tonight Show, and the overall need for alternative programming at 10PM. I'm looking forward to Flash Forward, The Middle, V, and Human Target.

I still refuse to believe Cougar Town will be a hit.

monty melville

I don't dislike Leno, I'm just not a big fan. I can't see him carrying off 1 hr, 5 nights and keeping it fresh. Of course he has a big fan base and the show is really the tonight show on primetime, so I guess it will be a hit. As for me--I'll see what's on CBS and ABC first.

August 22 2009 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bas

Since local newscasts depend a lot on the lead-in, I guess I will no longer be watching the local NBC affiliate - Leno irritates me.

July 30 2009 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bgirl

I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed Cougar Town. But Eastwick and The Forgotten were both terrible. I'll probably check out The Forgotten with the recasting of the lead with Christian Slater, just to see if it's better, but I don't hold out high hopes.

July 29 2009 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bgirl's comment
Jimmy

These are the big stories of the fall.

1. Will Leno be a hit or a total failure?
2. Is ABC's sitcom block and Eastwick going to have any traction? It is the most ambitious move by a broadcast network, after Leno.
3. Will Flash Forward improve on Ugly Betty's ratings on Thursdays? It is up against an again Survivor and an unproven pair of NBC sitcoms in Community and Parks & Rec.
4. Which show will have its series finale first: Heroes or LOST?
(Notice no CBS. They'll remain solid)

July 29 2009 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

Has anyone looked at their predictions in the past?

July 29 2009 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pingles's comment
Brian

The article indicated that they've got a 85% accuracy rate.

Cougar Town does seem to be a stretch, but stranger things have happened. Personally, I think Eastwick is going to falter.

August 15 2009 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply