December 20, 2014

The Househusbands of Hollywood have a premiere date, but is America ready?

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 29th 2009 6:01PM
Househusbands of Hollywood
Those Real Housewives series are big business for Bravo. So the big question Fox Reality is asking is if America is ready for the real Househusbands of Hollywood? Jane first brought us news of the Househusbands last December. Now Fox Reality has set a premiere date of August 15th, and provided a little more details as to what these husbands do.

As Jane hoped, it looks like a full reversal of the traditional roles. These men take care of the kids, run errands and manage the household while their wives work as a psychologist, a celebrity makeup artist, a newscaster, an attorney and Tempestt Bledsoe (The Cosby Show). It's certainly an interesting idea that will challenge America's traditional views of gender roles in this country.

I do wonder if this series will get on the radar at all, considering the buzz its female counterpart is getting. And if it does, what kind of a reaction will it get?

As someone who's been in the Midwest his whole life, I can tell you there are a lot of people here who believe it is the man's job to provide for the family. If he can't, then he is a failure as a man, even if his wife is able to. The idea of these men happily doing what would be considered the wife's "job," should prove a real challenge to a lot of the locals in my community.

I'd also love to know if this idea was shopped to Bravo as an expansion of their Real Housewives franchise. Or if Bravo ever even considered a gender-reversed iteration of their hit brand. Of course, we still have to wait and see if it's any good, and what kind of an audience it might find.

Would men watch men staying at home while their wives work? It might give some of them ideas. "Hey honey, I think I'm going to quit my job tomorrow." Would it draw the same viewers who watch the Real Housewives if they knew it was there, or does it not appeal to them for some reason?

Let me know in the comments if you have a strong feeling on this either way. And be sure to mention your opinion of Real Housewives, as well. After all, if you dislike both, that doesn't speak to the questions I'm raising, but if you're more interested in one than the other, it would be interesting to see why. I'm interested to see how our cross-culture of readers reacts, if at all.

sarah

I have watched the show,Ok some of the men have had past major job's,but please ex-con hooks-up with famous shrink and has the easy life,and is proud of his past,and want a be actor who does nothing all day but bitch about having no life.....and his wife buying a purse,get a JOB and by yourself a wallet.In reality it's a role reversal.Good for the men that want to stay home and raise the kids,but boo for the one's that don't have kids and live off their wifes and bitch...Or and ex-con that thinks he knows everything and knows nothing,oh yea and hangs out with other ex-cons.

October 05 2009 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charlene tison

I have watched Househusbands a few times and most of the guys are cool because they are at least doing something. But, that Danny, I just can not watch it anymore, and I am surprised nobody mentioned him. He doesn't want kids-even though his wife does (not right now anyway). He brings in no income, he basically plays all day and makes a what? that kegerator- with his wife's money-they don't portray him as pursuing many acting jobs-although he did get on the game show! He is whiny, a whimp, although he knew how to use a gun. He just seems to use his wife-just like the basketball scene when they were all playing. He even said, see, if I had kids, I would have to go right now, but I'll probably stay here all day. Give ME A BREAK! And this show is on constantly! I think most of it is staged, not reality, most are actors, and my opinion- I wish they would take it off the air. Now the female show- I never saw it. But women just talking about shopping and manicures. That doesn't sound like something I would like either. Either you are down to earth, having kids, looking for employment, or you are disabled. If you are inherently rich, that's another thing. But I don't think it's cool for either sex to do nothing- such as Danny- and let the spouse-take all the stress.

October 01 2009 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shannon

MarilynBailey - you are REALLY hilarious - how angry you are over a television show!
Jillian - I commend you for putting up with your husband Grant. It's hard to believe he was a USMC sniper! He is so whiny - don't know how Jillian deals with it. Guess that's why he's not a sniper anymore - he's too much a whiny sally to deal with it. He wants a pat on the back for everything he does - what the average "housewife" does daily in 'REAL' life, he wants props for. He's is soooo annoying.

September 14 2009 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
larry hernandez

great show it shows that a dad can do it all without the nagging

September 08 2009 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marilyn bailey

Jillian, You were much nicer when you were FAT! There are people out there (first time home buyers) that don't even celebreate their first new home....They feel guilty that the foreclosed home they purchased was an unhappy, un-lucky situation for another family....The only people over spending and putting it out there are the A.I.G. idiots, and all you Housewives, House-husbands from reality t.v.... You superficial small minded reality morons need to visit the real world....Maybe you would be more contrite and sympathetic, and more interesting to watch and for us ( the average viewer) to support and grow with your series and life! What the hell are you teaching your children? "Oh!" That's right Jill....Your daughter doesn't even like you anyway....

September 07 2009 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Just caught one of the episodes today,kind of painful compared to the Housewives shows because this one pretty much shows the men getting whipped by their wives and kids whereas in the Housewives shows you hardly ever see the men or kids and usually just see the women out shopping or getting plastic surgery or talking about what young guy they want to bang...

August 23 2009 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joe's comment
Diane

I find these women making lists and phone calls periodically insulting. If these men were women, don't you think Dr. Phil would slap them upside the face? I'm a housewife who's not required to answer to anyone but myself.

September 04 2009 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tammyrjones

I do not watch the Housewives show and never have. With similar shows it has been a total turnoff to watch a bunch of caddy women worrying about what they are going to wear, or where their next shopping trip will be - I just don't think it puts, women in general, in a good light. However, I am very interested in watching the Househusbands. 12 years ago, my brother was the stay-at-home dad. I think it was difficult b/c of the fact people believe "he should be working, and she should be taking care of kids and house". Due to various things in our own lives, my husband has been the stay-at-home dad with our 2 year old. It just worked out that way, we did not plan it that way. But it has worked extremely well for us. He has done a wonderful job with our son and many other endless jobs that come with staying at home. I'm hoping the show will have more substance than what has been typical with the "women" reality shows.

August 12 2009 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scarlett

PS- I am puzzled at why one poster said certain people may not qualify?? These people live in Hollywood......that's the criteria....not how famous they are.....I live in this area and everyone is try to be an actor, they have jobs, then they don't, it's very up and down...it's the nature of the business but I don't get the mindset that you have to be famous for this show to be good or to work....and to the other one....this is certainly not exploitation. Why don't you people reserve your judgements for after you see the show....

August 07 2009 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scarlett

I watched the teaser/ intro to this show last night and I have to tell you I laughed most of the show. It is a great, real and fabulously funny look at these guys who have very interesting backgrounds other than being just house husbands. I LOVE this show already and it is not just eye candy for women as someone posted who hasn't even seen the show yet.....I am a woman and yes, there are a few cute ones but that's not the point of the show. Charlie is the oldest but the most interesting because he has a very major secret scandalous past. It is so interesting to see how each one handles his daily chores via lists from their wives which range from emails to Hello Kitty notepads. It's fun and cute to watch them try to keep their masculinity in their house husband roles and hang out in the man cave....watch it...it's very enjoyable.

August 07 2009 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to scarlett's comment
Laurie

I totally agree. I love the show as well. I love how great Grant is to his babygirl, Ruby. Charley is very good looking and has great arms. Each couple has something I can get joy in watching. I love the fact that these men are taking care of their kids and being a man about it. That's hard for them to break down the stigma that goes with being a stay at home dad. I'm tellin ya, this show makes me laugh.

September 09 2009 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

This can be nothing but eye candy for the females, and for it to succeed the guys are going to have to be twice as hot as their female counterparts.

I suggest they take their shirt off - a LOT and show them as capable and not bumbling around.

July 30 2009 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply