September 2, 2014

USA orders renewals for Burn Notice and hot new series Royal Pains

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 29th 2009 12:03PM
Burn NoticeUSA has to be rather pleased. Last week, the top rated show on cable was Burn Notice. And their newest series Royal Pains is hanging in there impressively in fourth place, creating a powerful Thursday night lineup. As a reward, word has it that USA has renewed both Burn Notice and Royal Pains.

I first fell into Royal Pains because I have this bizarre fascination with the Hamptons. I hadn't even heard of it until a few years ago, and now it's just fascinating to me. Here's a place full of people I will never get to mingle with, living and partying somewhere that I will never go. It's Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous with a plot.

Burn Notice I've not watched because I didn't jump in when it first started (regular readers may remember that I have a thing about that), though I should probably just get over it and check it out. It has Bruce Campbell in it, and he's always a blast and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Regardless, it's more good news for cable broadcasting while the networks keep crying away the summer.

Discosis

Is this a 4th or 5th season renewal for Burn Notice?

I thought a 4th season was already a go.

August 04 2009 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

Burn notice is really easy to pick up at the begining of a season, because they usually have been wrapping up the plot of the season pretty well, while still holding on to the main plot of the series and moving that forward... They also give you a pretty good recap just in case, you should really just check it out, and then catch up afterwards!!

July 30 2009 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I'm usually like that too - if I'm not there at ground zero, forget it. However, I suggest at least having a look at Burn Notice. It's not all action, there's a lot of character development involved. Also, the root storyline continues to progress in a reasonably logical fashion from season to season.

July 30 2009 at 3:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bkdealer

I've been a Burn Notice fan from the start, but I was going to pass on Royal Pains until my SO wanted to see it, and I'm glad--it's fun and the closest I'll ever get to visiting the Hamptons!

July 29 2009 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beergas

fascination with the Hamptons. I hadn't even heard of it until a few years ago,

Unbelievable. What a ..... Bravo to Burn Notice. Yes it is getting a touch heavy on repeat theme of helping out the "little guy" even to point of a young gun boy trying to help out his mom. Then they go upstream to neo-Mafia types or a CIA like theme. Makes for some keeping up on what the heck is central purpose of this fun entertainment.
Still appreciating The Closer, the Mentalist and Psych.
Dr. Who special was good. Dark Blue worth a shot if Yanks game doesn't cut into it. Leverage against The Ascent of Money on PBS tho Ascent series is repeated.

July 29 2009 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

You watch Royal Pains, but NOT Burn Notice? Wow. Unbelievable.

July 29 2009 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandee

I almost look forward more to summer TV programming than fall TV programming. And is a 100x's better than that reality junk. USA shows rock!

July 29 2009 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply