October 22, 2014

USA scores with Monk tribute promo

by Allison Waldman, posted Jul 29th 2009 9:00PM
adrian_monk_tony_shalhoubSometimes when I'm watching USA Network, I'm as tickled with the promotions for the shows as I am the shows themselves. That's saying a lot, because as a rule, networks are not very clever about commercials hawking their shows. However, USA is the exception to the rule. Just yesterday, Kona wrote about the Psych promo that took a shot at The Mentalist -- completely justified, too -- and here's another that caught my eye. It's a tribute to Monk.

This is the last season for Monk, so USA gathered some of the stars -- in character -- from its other programs to give a little tribute to Adrian Monk. What a stroke of genius!

Bruce Campbell as Sam from Burn Notice, Mark Feuerstein from Royal Pains, Mary McCormack and Frederick Weller as Mary and Marshall from In Plain Sight, the brilliant deadpan delivery of Jeff Goldblum from Law & Order: Criminal Intent ... and, of course, the bantering of Shawn and Gus -- James Roday and Dule Hill -- from Psych. The end result is hilarious. Take a look:

By the way, Monk returns for the final season on August 7 at 9 p.m. -- followed by Psych at 10 p.m.

chelle

I love these adds too, though I really miss the diner ads from a couple years ago. Does anyone else remember Monk counting cherrios (or something) so he had exactly 100 and giving the rest back to the waitress? Or Monk squirming away from Shawn's orange Cheetoh fingers?

August 10 2009 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Had to stop at Jeff Goldblum. God I hate that guy.

July 30 2009 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

Perhaps their good advertising is what draws their exceptionally high audiences. Maybe...

July 30 2009 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I presume they'll do their normal split run... that's just how USA rolls.

As for Monk being good or bad for the OCD community at large... well... Would you prefer Jack Nicholson's performance in As Good As it Gets? Other than Monk, that's the most out there portrayal of someone with OCD. The difference is that his character in that movie was an ass, while Monk we are supposed to identify with.

They're not making fun of his OCD, per se, at least not in a mean way. We're meant to feel for him.

Now, personally, I think this show should've gone off the air 2 years ago. Last season they made Monk a real jerk. He became that OCD ass. The way he was treating Natalie all last season was just about as much as I could stand from someone the audience is supposed to like.

But ummmmm, I guess you can fixate on hating Monk... I mean... that is your thing, right? Fixation? You go girl.

July 30 2009 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

When I first saw this commercial, I thought it was a brilliant idea. Kudos to the person who thought of this.

July 30 2009 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

My niece has ocd and has always related to the things that Monk goes through. I guess it's all how you see things.

I am really gonna miss that show. Its been in the entertainment news a few times since last year that this is Monks last season. I hope they do it tastefully and don't just kill him off.

July 30 2009 at 7:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j_allen52

Ever since my first viewing of Monk I have hated that show beyond contempt. See I have an anxiety disorder (for 24 years of hell now...) and I have NEVER been able to see ANYTHING humourous about this show.

This show makes people with OCD (er...Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) look like fumbling, bumbling morons. I've ALWAYS hoped for the WORST for this show because it's just wrong. I'm glad it's gone. Because it sucks beyond suckiness. And I'm being REALLY NICE.

You sincerely have no serious idea how much i HATE this show...

July 30 2009 at 6:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to j_allen52's comment
joe

fag

August 07 2009 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

When USA says "The Final Season," does that mean THIS run of episodes will finish the season? Or is it one of those traditional-for-Monk "split seasons" where we'll get 6-8 episodes starting in August, and then the "real" finish with 6-8 more in January?

July 30 2009 at 3:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Matt's comment
Joey Geraci

Not just traditional for Monk, traditional for most Cable original series.

I hope it ends with a bang. A little less of the pathetic, a little more of the funny. And as much of the Sharona as they can get their hands on!

July 30 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Axel Harris

Still hoping for that Psych/Monk crossover.

July 29 2009 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply