October 31, 2014

Why aren't Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick crazy-famous?

by Annie Wu, posted Jul 29th 2009 7:02PM
Doc and JacksonAs our own John Scott Lewinski pointed out in his interview with Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick, the Venture Bros. masterminds, the show is a cult treasure, but not so hot in the big picture.

It's a source of perpetual heartbreak for me, knowing that the many people I convert with my DVDs are just a mere drop in the bucket. Even worse, despite the insane number of fans that flood convention floors to hear Hammer and Publick talk, other [adult swim] celebrities of arguably less awesome programming get the mainstream love. Just check out this great LA Weekly interview (and photoshoot, ladies) with Hammer and Publick to remind yourself why these guys are so marvelous.

People like Brendon Small, Seth McFarlane and Seth Green (a lot of Seths, actually) get face-recognition because of their work for [as], but it still feels like Hammer and Publick aren't on quite as many people's radars. It doesn't make sense to me. Their show is a hit and is followed by a loyal fanbase that, for the most part, is pretty willing to share the love (most fans I know have converted a few other people). Admittedly, I'm probably biased because I think of this duo almost as a couple of rock stars.

I mean, c'mon, these photos are, like, out of a geek girl's Tiger Beat. I'm tempted to print these photos out, buy a locker, tape them to the inside of said locker, and draw hearts around 'em.

No? Too much? That started getting weird? All right, that's my cue to cease the creepy. In the meantime, enjoy this clip of the guys at last year's Dragon*Con Venture Bros. panel. They really love those damn speedsuits.

larry

damn right somebody shoot tim and eric and give hammer and publick the spotlight or just shoot tim and eric please i beg of you please

August 03 2009 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

I am a huge fan of 7030 but all I've seen of Matt Thompson and Adam Reed is one purported photo. Compared to them, Doc and Jackson are superstars.

July 30 2009 at 12:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Could write a lengthy note as to why but I'll go with a analogy. Why is WoW immensely popular compared to other mmo's? It's dumbed down. Venture Bros. isn't dumbed down compared to other shows.

July 30 2009 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maestro610

They aren't super famous because they're egotistical jerks. That is the very reason the fangirls and fanboys love them, the snide comments the rude treatment the smarter than the room attitude but that doesn't work with the rest of the world.

Seth Green has the attitude of someone who is living the dream so he is extremely gracious to the fans and the media but Jackson and Doc give the sense that they were always meant for it and this is just part of the plan.

Having personally met... (and I don't mean hey what's up lets shake hands or hanging out at a panel) I mean taking quite a bit of time with the Robot Chicken guys and the Venture Bros guys I'd hang out with RC all day and never even miss Public and Hammer.

Now on the other side I have two huge Venture fangirls as friends (one of whom worked for World Leaders as an art intern) and they love the grief and smugness and it makes them want to spend even more time with them.

July 29 2009 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to maestro610's comment
Mike Davis

Because, y'know, there are no crazy-famous egotistical jerks in showbiz.

Sounds like someone got their tender heart broken...

July 30 2009 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply