December 20, 2014

NBC is bringing back The Rockford Files

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 30th 2009 1:29PM
The Rockford FilesThe Rockford Files was one of my favorite shows as a kid. When I got my first car I even looked around for one just like his. So this news that NBC is doing a remake of the show has me both excited and scared. Why try to redo one of the classic private eye shows of all-time?

Maybe because it is one of the classic private eye shows of all-time. House creator David Shore is writing a new, updated version of the show, and if there's one thing that makes me feel better about it is the fact that Shore hates updating shows like this but made an exception because it's one of his favorite shows, too.

It actually makes sense for these times, since a lot of shows on right now, from Burn Notice to Monk owe something to Rockford. It's just a dicey prospect to remake something.

See, I don't think it was the premise of the show (or any of these shows that get remade) that was so great, it was the execution and the cast and the time in TV history that the show aired and how we remember it. But we need a private eye show on TV right now (a real private eye show), so this could be cool. Now go find another James Garner.

wulfn1

hmm... Wasn't Rockford's father a retired PI? in the original? Garner's been in a television role recently (my teenage daughter) Why not instead of making it a remake, make it Rockford's son , with Garner doing a three minute bit in each show, or more , however much he can handle of it. I think that might actually fly.
As for actors who could produce his laid back, messy, who cares style .. I don't know but I've seen a few out there who remind me of Garner in their style.(guy who plays sheriff on eureka has his style and on screen presence... but I like eureka too much to think of losing him to do this) Heck, Earl could do it if they could get him to seem more intelligent...

August 03 2009 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff Harris

You know what NBC really needs to do?

Don't make a new Rockford Files series. Instead, they should bring back the NBC Mystery Movie "wheel show" after football season ends. Instead of separate shows, they should have a different detective franchise every week, just like they did with Columbo, Quincy, and McMillan and Wife. NBC doesn't do stuff like that anymore, but the brand could easily revive The Rockford Files, Columbo, McCloud, and any of those properties owned by NBC Universal as well as develop new ones. Hell, I wouldn't mind if they put 90-minute episodes of Monk up there after that show ends.

August 01 2009 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobertBelafonte

If I remember correctly, wasn't Shore going to spin off that private detective in House? Maybe he just really wants to make a private detective show.

July 31 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

In addition to Rockford, I think they're also contemplating bring back Hawaii 5-0

Keyword here is a 'reboot' of each series.

July 30 2009 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

I agree. Make a Rockford-esque PI show. We could use one on TV.

But remaking Rockford is just lazy TV.

July 30 2009 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Doran

If David Shore wants to do a low-key private eye show, fine - but don't call it Rockford. Let him roll his own.

July 30 2009 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

90% of the appeal of "The Rockford Files" is in James Garner's performance. Take him out of it and you have pretty much just another private eye show. I can't imagine they could find someone to give their remake the same character and personality. And that's what made it "The Rockford Files" and not "Private Eye Show #732".

Oh, and the other 10%? .5% the theme song, 9.5% the writing. Both of which, I'm betting, will be vastly inferior in the remake.

July 30 2009 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
CParis

What was "The Rockford Files" other than a showcase vehicle for James Garner? It would be like trying to remake "The Jeffersons" or "Maude". The lead actor was the character - otherwise there was no reason to tune in.

July 30 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charleswheeler

Rockford reruns are still a joy to behold. (Thank you RTV) It's one of those shows that should be digitally cleaned up and hi-def-ed, not remade.

July 30 2009 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to charleswheeler's comment
Tracey

I remember my parents watching Rockford Files when it was out (a little before my time) but I watch it on RTV, and am now hooked on it.

I couldn't imagine anyone doing the role of Rockford like James Garner, but I love the suggestion of "Rockford's Son" It is a classic that in my opinion couldn't be remade, but a spinoff could definately work!

August 21 2009 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arclight

It will probably fail, but at least it isn't another reality crap fest like DWTS, or AGT.

July 30 2009 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M W Cooper

The same network that gave up on "My Name is Earl" but tired to shove the new "Knight Rider" and "Bionic Woman" down our throats is giving us a new "Rockford Files"? To be fair, not every show can be "The Great American Road Trip" or "Get me out of here; I'm a Celebrity"

Bring back Earl!