July 31, 2014

Not so fast: Davies says Torchwood's fourth season on hold

by John Scott Lewinski, posted Jul 30th 2009 4:31PM
Russell T. Davies is still hoping the BBC doesn't exterminate Torchwood.Reports flooded out of Comic Con International that a fourth season of Torchwood was all but a lock based on its spectacular ratings on both sides of the Atlantic.

That would make sense when you consider the third mini-season ("Children of Earth") pulled in north of 6 milllion viewers a night in the U.K. and is now BBC America's all-time highest rated show. Why wouldn't the BBC want to bring it back?

But, in an informal discussion in Los Angeles Wednesday, Russell T. Davies told me the fourth season has not been officially approved, despite previous reports.

In off the cuff remarks, Davies said the signs were positive -- leaving a lot of reasons to hope for a fourth go-around for Torchwood. But, the show's return hasn't been officially discussed yet and probably won't be until later this year.

Davies did reassure fans that, if the show should return, he will return as executive producer. While proud of his work on Doctor Who, Davies considers Torchwood his creation and his baby. The odds are long against anyone ever taking over production on that show.

PerfectAnomaly

The only thing RTD returning assures for me is that I won't be watching.

August 01 2009 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pinkpolyanthus

If I thought for one minute that RTD [aka by me affectionately as that FSOB!] wasn't going to be a part of any new Torchwood then I would definitely watch .. but the fact that he is involved ... nope he can go fly! He can pat himself on the back for killing a great show and totally ruining the best love story on tv! Sci Fi has loads of possibilities - that's the nature of the beast - but when personal pride, determination and ego overshadows what is right for a show's future then you are looking at watching a lost cause. At least he is out of Dr Who - now that will something worth watching!

August 01 2009 at 7:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lar

I don't find Russell T Davies return to a 4th season at all "reassuring" and I doubt I'd bother watching if he does.

As for "Davies considers Torchwood his creation and his baby" from what I'd read, most of the day to day work/writting was overseen by Chris Chibnall (lead writer, co-producer) and Richard Stokes (producer). In fact, Davies didn't write a single episode of season 2 (I'm not sure about season 1).

August 01 2009 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lar's comment
toshisback

And yet RTD wrote the story arc for Torchwood: Children of Earth, and also wrote the Day 1 and Day 5 scripts, plus he IS the creator of Torchwood. It is his vision, his storyline. Though I was very unhappy that his character kill rate is very high for the last six episodes of Torchwood, I ceded that he had every right to do it. Now he has to accept the consequences of losing more audience than he might have otherwise. Rumor has it that he wrote most of the proposed season four scripts already.

August 18 2009 at 4:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laughingacademy

"Reassure"? I do not think that means what you think it means.

July 31 2009 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

Davis has his weaknesses -- lord knows -- but he's on, like with his episodes of "Children of Earth" or "The Second Coming," he's pretty damn brilliant.

July 31 2009 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cuisle

well of course it won't be until later next year. Eve Myles is having a baby and John Barrowman is booked solid with other stuff, even assuming HE wants to go back.

And stop with the RTD knocking. What do any of you know?

July 31 2009 at 2:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cuisle's comment
Jennifer

Barrowman has said he'll come back any time.

Huh, didn't know Eve Myles was pregnant for real.

August 02 2009 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LadyS

Davies' return as executive producer is "reassuring"? Not to this fan. I'd be much happier if he fell into obscurity in America and left the show in the hands of someone who'd take better care of its cast.

July 30 2009 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rbygivens

The fact that RTD will still be producing Torchwood does anything but reassure me.

July 30 2009 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rbygivens's comment
John

Didn't he write Children of Earth?

July 31 2009 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Is someone haggling for a raise?

July 30 2009 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply