October 21, 2014

The Seinfeld reunion on Curb will be about a Seinfeld reunion - TCA Report

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 30th 2009 9:59PM
Larry DavidIf the meta-ness of my headline confuses you, I apologize. It's the best way I could phrase it, because it's kind of mind-blowing in concept.

At today's HBO session at the TCAs, Larry David came on stage to talk about the upcoming season of Curb Your Enthusiasm. In it, as we all know, he'll be reuniting the Seinfeld cast on the show. And what will they be doing? They'll be working on... a Seinfeld reunion episode.

"The context is that for years I've been asked about a Seinfeld reunion," said David, "and i'd say no it's a lame idea. And then i thought it might be very funny to do that on Curb, and I kept thinking about it and different scenarios of how to pull it off."

When he talked to Jerry Seinfeld and the cast about it, they were all game. "So doiung a Seinfeld reunion show on Curb we'll see writing read through rehersals show being filmed. You won't see the entire show, you'll see parts of the show get an idea of what happened eleven years later."

Most of the questions during the panel revolved around the reunion. Will Curb Larry mess things up, as he's been known to do? "He might! My guy could very well wreck it! he might! Not saying he did..." Will they deal with Michael Richards' outburst from a couple of years ago? "Possibly." Why does Curb Larry cave on doing a reunion when real Larry doesn't? "You'll have to watch." How was it getting back in the swing of writing Seinfeldian dialogue? "Surprisingly smooth." How many episodes will the cast be on? Most will do four or five indivudually, with Jerry being on five. All four of them will only appear on the season finale, which will show them doing table reads and shooting the reunion.

Other guests will include Rosie O'Donnell, who Larry fights to pick up a check -- "Let me tell you something. She's a force. she's very formidable physically." -- and Larry will be doing his usual act of being a well-meaning prick.

When he was asked if playing a fictionalized version of himself for seven years has mellowed him, David had an interesting response:

"I was saying the other day that this Larry is kinda melding with Curb Larry. And I love Curb Larry. Always hated this Larry. I'm getting a little like Curb Larry. so yes, I'm a little happier."

yvonne

I never watched Seinfeld, for years my son would say it's so funny. Well at that time I was busy taking care of my dying husband. Since he has passed I sat down and watched, I laughed so much made me forget my sorrows for awhile, love kramer..he actually makes me laugh out loud. I watch the reruns everynight, makes me feel happy, only wish I did have the set of dvd's. But on a limited income not possible, so I watch reruns.. If the reunion is on hbo, won't get to see it, but, sure it will be great...again love the show, they are all very good actors, makes you just feel good to watch, and we all need an uplift in our lifes..

August 03 2009 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christine ragucci

Very "high level"

August 03 2009 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KFfields424

I never thought there wold ever be a show as funny as Seinfeld, however Curb comes very close. I look forward to watching this show every single day- it is hilarious!!!!!Larry David is so funny and the show is the best thing on T.V. When I heard he wasn't going to have another season I was so upset. This season should be great because he is a comic genious-I can't wait!Sometimes after a hard day you need to come home and have a laugh and this show provides it-if you haven't seen it, rent the DVDs and watch-you will be hooked!!!!

August 03 2009 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnjohn900

I always thought they should have a reunion show... they left too many unanswered questions on the finale. They should have Jerry and Elaine get married finally after all these yrs, that would be the perfect ending

August 03 2009 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

How awkward. Would Julie really want to do Elaine after achieving mild success doing Christine for the last few years ? And Michael Richards (Kramer) is still in seclusion isn't he ? It could really be amusing if it's done right, though.

July 31 2009 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GerryofNorVA's comment
Joel Keller

That's the beauty of this plot. She's going to be playing herself participating in a fictional Seinfeld reunion. So the only times you see her being Elaine is when "Curb Julia" is doing table reads, filming, etc. It's very minimal.

July 31 2009 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Sounds like a way to get people who've never watched Curb before to sample it, and buy the previous season DVDs.

July 31 2009 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

I think this is the first time EVER that I'm seriously considering getting HBO.

July 31 2009 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

Can't wait! Cheers Larry for years of funny, funny stuff

July 31 2009 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I'm sure it's going to be GREAT. Can't wait.

July 30 2009 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PC

Such a clever approach to address a pseudo reunion. It will make for an amazing umbrella plot for this season of the show. I think it will be exciting for all the fans that tune in that didn't feel they got closure from the finale and I'm sure it was exciting to film and even therapeutic for some of the Seinfeld cast.

Now, they won't ever have to field those questions anymore. I'm sure they get old. They can just point to this season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

July 30 2009 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply