April 24, 2014

Would you watch Lexie Grey's Anatomy?

by Michael Pascua, posted Jul 30th 2009 6:01PM
Chyler Leigh as Lexie GreySeason six of Grey's Anatomy is going to be odd. Getting past the fact that T.R. Knight isn't coming back, Ellen Pompeo is pregnant. Shonda Rhimes has mentioned that Meredith will not get pregnant to coincide with Ellen so we'll either get How I Met Your Mother-esque bump hiding, or Meredith will disappear for a while.

The only Grey left is Lexie Grey, Meredith's half-sister. Although her relationship with Mark is interesting to watch, could she carry the show's title albeit temporarily?

If Meredith disappears from the screen, then there's a good chance that Derek goes with her. I could see the two go on a honeymoon or just take some time off from Seattle Grace. It's a better theory than my radical "Meredith has Swine Flu" idea. Grey's Anatomy is considered an ensemble cast seeing that Patrick Dempsey was vying for the supporting actor Emmy when I consider him a lead.

Lexie still isn't a lead character. She only showed up at the end of season three and comes off as a junior intern with no power and not as an equal doctor. I'm not sure if I could watch a show that is missing four of the nine original characters from the first season.

The plus of having Meredith (and Derek to an extent) gone for a while is that all the other characters will have time to develop. It's odd seeing that almost everyone is coupled up: Callie/Arizona, Christina/Owen, Izzie/Alex, and Lexie/Mark. We may be able to get six episodes (the four couples, the chief, and Bailey) developing the cast further while we wait for Meredith's return.

The real question is this: did Ellen Pompeo want to take a break from acting? Would this show pull a CSI and just replace Meredith like they did with Grissom? If that were true, I don't think I could watch the show anymore. I'm not even a big fan of Meredith, but I know that the show is nothing without her dynamic. Lexie isn't strong enough to be moved up from her side-kick status.

I understand that the title to Grey's Anatomy is a pun on the medical book, but if there isn't any actual Grey on the show then it should just be spun into Yang's Anatomy or any of the other character's last names. Would you still watch Grey's Anatomy if Meredith was gone and Lexie took her place? Leave your comments below.

Derek

I might watch it, but the other charctors would have to step up everything, Izzy can't be all bitchy, Lexi needs to develop a stronger charctor, and the Chief needs to have a bigger roll in the development of the young doctors. I'm not big on the Arizona/Callie relationship simply because its not interesting to me, but a courtship of them might make the show interesting. That said as a long time fan of the show i'll watch it even it its "bad," but when storylines rival that of ER season 6+ I'll swear it off.

August 14 2009 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Davide

Wasn't Chyler Leigh pregnant too? I think I read it somewhere months ago...

August 11 2009 at 8:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divalovemagic

I don't think i'd keep watching if Meredith was written out completely, but i'm sure it's temporary maternity leave. Anyway, the show hasn't been the same since season 3 or so. http://www.mediancs.com/rd_p?p=186122&t=9534&a=28190-tvsquad&gift=28190

August 05 2009 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane

Grey's Anatomy is absolutely one of my favorite shows on TV and I really don't like to watch TV all the much: http://www.ranker.com/list/favorite-tv-shows/jane. If Meredith leaves, I'm sure I'll still watch but I agree that the show will just not be the same and loose a lot of its appeal without her. I hope they don't make Lexie front and center. Bailey, Alex, Mark, Christina - I still watch for those characters.

August 03 2009 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lili

I am definitely not watching if there is no Meredith or no Ellen Pompeo. I'm hooked because of her. Simple as that.

July 31 2009 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alohamora

where's the spoiler alert for this post?!?!?!?!?!!?

i've purposely been avoiding posts about grey's because i didn't want to know what happens to george, so you put it in the first line that T.R. Knight isn't coming back.

NOT COOL. this is VERY upsetting.

July 31 2009 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrea

No Meredith Grey = No Grey's Anatomy.
She should be given even more screen time after she returns from her baby leave. And returned as the center of it all like it was in season 1 and 2 the best seasons of it all.

July 31 2009 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Andrea's comment
valerie

Why doesn't Shonda and her "writers" realize that Season 1 & 2
were the reason people loved GA. They have turned it into a sorry nite time soap and refuse to give Mer/Der a decent or
even plausible story arc. EP and PD have the largest fan base by far and there chemistry is awesome. I hope EP will only be
gone for a few episodes and that we will be able to delve into
Derek's character while she is gone. More Bailey and Derek
would be great. If EP & PD are both gone I wouldn't tune in.

July 31 2009 at 4:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DM

Personally I wouldn't watch the show without Meredith Grey for sure. She is the core of it all. The essence of the show, this character is amazing and has so much more to offer.

One of the reasons I love her is because we see it through her eyes and it's like she's the puppet master in a way and she holds all the wires and controls them, if she leaves it will all fall apart, I can't see anyone else making it work. not on "Grey's Anatomy".

I wish Ellen the best with her baby. She's one amazing actress, bringing Meredith to life the way she does is truly inspirational. Her scene after the prisoners execution from last season was beyond amazing and heart wrenching. She is fantastic.

July 31 2009 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alyssa

It's ridiculous to even think that Lexie would lead. Rhimes was probably kidding off, making it think that without Meredith for a few episodes while she's on maternity leave, at least there IS another Grey on the show to make its purpose.

Meredith herself, even as protagonist and lead of the show, she fails interest of many people (that I know of). Instead its "OMG IZZIE!" or "OMG MCDREAMY! MCSTEAMY!"

Besides being a downright self-righteous and annoying character, Im glad she'll be on the leave temporarily. Gives the other characters more exploring (especially Callie, Arizona, Mark, Lexie, and Alex) while she's gone. A huge chunk. Oh, and no constant whining from Meredith for at least two episodes even makes me happy.

July 30 2009 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ashlee

I love Grey's Anatomy. Hence "Grey's" as in Meredith Grey. The essence of the character is seriously what helps me survive in life. She, even though is fake, is my inspiration and my help. I turn to Grey's for help in my fucked up life. Lexie Grey got the perfect life growing up, so with her being the main character... I couldn't do it. Ellen Pompeo is a one of a kind woman/actress. No one can do the phenomenal work she does and she is my hero. So seriously I don't know if I could hang onto this amazing show without Meredith,Derek, and Merder. She is the core of the show. She is my favorite and Ellen does so amazing at it. So seriously, I don't think I could because without Mer, Der would be nothing, and so would I.

July 30 2009 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply