April 17, 2014

HBO: Sex! Hollywood! Vampires!

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 2nd 2009 11:02AM
True Blood - Sookie Stackhouse and Bill ComptonI must confess that I really don't pay that much attention to TV ratings. I realize that I'm just one girl, and whether I love a show or not doesn't make a wit of difference as to whether other people will love it -- and love it enough to keep it on the air. As a TV writer, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that TV shows come and go, and sometimes nobody watches the good ones, which results in them leaving the air far too soon.

But I've found myself gravitating towards HBO shows, because they seem to be consistently good, no matter the ratings. Sometimes I'm crazy about the shows right off the bat. Such was the case with True Blood, which I review here on TV Squad.

Sometimes I come to a series late, and then get drawn into watching one episode after the other, propping my eyes open into the wee hours. That's how it was with Entourage. And sometimes a show doesn't really hit on all cylinders for me right away, but there's enough there to keep me watching with the hope that it will continue to get better and better. That's how I feel about Hung.

So I'm thrilled that all three of these shows have been renewed, as Joel reported from the Television Critics Association. Hung will get a second season, True Blood a third and Entourage a seventh. The new seasons will debut sometime next year, with Blood on the schedule for next summer.

Just for the record, True Blood has averaged 3.8 million viewers (11.2 when you add repeats, DVR and On Demand viewing), Hung has averaged 3.1 million (10.2 million cume), and Entourage about 3.0 million (7.4 million cume).

Some of the other HBO shows I'm looking forward to include the WWII miniseries The Pacific, coming next March; Treme, a New Orleans drama from The Wire creator David Simon; and Martin Scorsese's Boardwalk Empire. All of these sound like the kind of quality programming I've come to expect from HBO.

What about you? Are you happy to see True Blood, Entourage and Hung renewed? Do you think Entourage is starting to lose steam? Are you watching Hung and True Blood?

Jon thomas

I Hope True Blood stays on forever ... I watched the First episode a few weeks ago and was not to sure .. i mean the first time you see a vampire its a little cheesy .. then i watched another and another and was Hooked .. now i cant wait till Monday so i can watch Sundays Ep .. yeah i go to bed early .. lame : )

August 03 2009 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I'm DVRing Hung, but haven't had time to watch it yet.

I'm somewhat interested in True Blood, but the heavy amount of blood shown in promos and bits I've seen about the show are a bit of a turnoff.

I've never been even an iota interested in Entourage. There must be people who like it because it's still on, but it's not my cuppa.

August 02 2009 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

If not for Showtime and HBO most TV series would be unwatchable.

August 02 2009 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Wilkins

Love "True Blood" and like u, I keep waiting for "HUNG" to jell. It is finding its footing slowly. Like the two leads, but Anne Heche isn't impressing me. I think it's the character. lol As for "Entourage"- never seen it. Maybe a few scenes here and there. Cable is where its at this summer w/ tv imo. http:tvtimepodcast.com. check it out.

August 02 2009 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

I'm glad Tru Blood is doing well, but I don't watch it. I'm one of those boring people who think a film or tv show should follow the book(s), and it just doesn't. On the other hand, the BBCA series Being Human is awesome. That's the only vampire show I watch.

August 02 2009 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mj's comment
Nathaniel

Really? I watched season 1 of True Blood and then listened to the audiobook. I enjoyed it so much I went ahead and listened to the second audiobook, and I've been amazed how loyal the show has been to both. Yes, there have been a few character changes, but most of the changes have been just to expand on certain characters! I've cited True Blood in my discussions as one of the most loyal-to-source pieces of entertainment out there.

August 03 2009 at 4:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

I don't watch "Hung", just never looked appealing to me. A lot of people say "Entourage" is repeative, they're right, but why change a working formula that's been working for them. "Entourage" is one of the few shows where I don't care where's going, just as long as it entertains, and it does. "True Blood" keeps getting better in my opinon. Its great to have a vampire show that is gory, genuinely sexy, and celebrates both with no shame.

August 02 2009 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply