December 20, 2014

True Blood: Release Me

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 3rd 2009 7:52AM
True Blood - Release Me

(S02E07) "Feeling sorry for things is just an excuse not to celebrate your own happiness." - Maryann

Ok, I take back my earlier comment about trying to reconcile the fact that Maryann isn't a villain. She IS a villain, and just because SHE doesn't think she's a villain doesn't make it all ok. So there. Her actions are causing other people to forget what's transpired, do bad things, and break peoples' arms. That's just not right, Maryann. Just not right.

Let alone the fact that she had Eggs kill Daphne (and that she's cast some sort of spell over Eggs). Guess Daphne -- wherever she is -- must be rethinking her stance that "Maryann saved me, gave me a whole new life ... no fear, no limits, just love." And killing, that is. I'm with Sam: "Killing people and cutting their hearts out ... that ain't love ..."

So Hugo is the traitor ... or at least one of the traitors. I'm sure there's more to that story than was revealed in this episode. I missed something there, though, because why couldn't Sookie read Hugo's thoughts earlier, when they were getting the church tour and being dragged into the basement storage area? And how could Godric rescue Sookie? I thought he was imprisoned in the basement, too, waiting to be fried in front of the congregation. He looked hail and hearty when he came to rescue Sookie from being raped by icky Gabe.

Maybe it harks back to when Eric and Isabel were standing outside the Fellowship of the Sun talking. When she said that it's hard to imagine anything overpowering Godric, Eric said, "Not anything human."

Is it just me, or does anyone else think "Kendra Wilkinson" whenever Sarah Newlin is onscreen? I keep expecting that weird laugh of Kendra's to come out of Sarah's mouth. Had to chuckle, though, when she hops up from her and Jason's sex romp in the church and cheerily announces that she has to tell Steve, because of the "vow of honesty." Jason is like a frightened fawn caught in the headlights.

Appreciated the scenes with Jessica and Hoyt -- both of them declaring their virginity, her asking, "Just because I'm a vampire, you think I'm a slut?," and then saying about her high school years, "Oh, I totally could have been a slut if I'd have gotten away with it." Those two continue to crack me up with their innocence juxtaposed with all the blood and guts. Hoyt spreading rose petals and blood candles around for their "first time" was a sweet gesture.

Other fun stuff:

• Andy falling in the mud and yelling "Pig!"
  • Sookie finding the games in the basement storage area where she and Hugo were locked up: "Jesus Christ, Vampire Exterminator"; "Silver and Stakes"; and "The Send 'Em Back to Hell Game."
  • Bill reading "Gods & Monsters of Ancient Greece" during the 1935 flashback.
  • Lorena realizing that Bill is in love with a human. "That's so tragic, it's funny."
  • It sure would be handy to be a shapeshifter. When someone's in hot pursuit, you can just shift into an owl and fly away.
  • Awww ... Eric crying ... tears of blood, of course.
  • Daphne describing Maryann to Sam: "She's like a pyro in a room full of matches."
  • Nice to see Lafayette get a little of his gay mojo back, putting on make-up and wearing his "Bitch" t-shirt.
  • Arlene thinking she date-raped Terry during the horror-sex orgy.

What did you all think of this episode?

katie

season i think true blood is awesome!!!! my favorite is release me

August 12 2009 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

I want to know where Jessica is going to come into all this. Surely she's got to have a tie-in with Sookie's rescue, or to get Bill away from Lorena or something...

August 06 2009 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JayJayzee

It seems unlikely that Godric would have the run of the church basement if he's actually been captured. And he looks too neat and clean to have been held in chains or silver restraints. I don't think he was ever captured or even the vampire they intended to hang on the cross. The Church people never mentioned Godric, just Godric's own people. I think they meant the cross for whichever vampire came to rescue Sookie, since Hugo certainly told them one would come, and the whole set up might have been Godric's plan to catch the traitor in their midst.

August 05 2009 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Kinsella

I haven't seen the previews for next week, but I bet Sarah shot Jason with the paintball gun because she thought she'd have to fake his death to save him. Probably won't come to much, except maybe convince Steve for a while.

August 04 2009 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phill

I was a bit surprised that Hugo was the informant but at the same time he did sound like he was very unhappy that Isabel wouldn't turn him.

I wonder if Isabel will view humans differently once she finds out Hugo betrayed her. Or maybe she is in on it?

August 04 2009 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phill

@Martin I think Godric was standing on something so he can get the hieght required to hang Gabe.

I don't understand why Sookie didn't read Steve's mind earlier in the meeting. She would have been able to make a run for the door. That's not to say she would have made it out.

What happened to Barry the bellboy at the end was that Bill or Lorena that yanked him into the room?

August 04 2009 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Koads

Did anyone else notice how freakishly big Godric was ?

August 03 2009 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Koads's comment
mari

hes adorable.

August 04 2009 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

I think he looked the way he did because the camera angle was Sookie's POV - she was sitting on the ground and looking up at him.

August 04 2009 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LolaJ

I have to say, Season 2 really has nothin' on Season 1 in terms of Lady Badasses. Lamb-like Sarah Newlin is no match for the crazy, eye-darting Amy Burly or even gun-crazy hot-as-hell Dawn. Two bleating blonde ditzes (Sarah and Sookie) are too much for me, and I'm a blonde myself. Even Tara seems a lot dimmer and hand-wringing compared to the trash-talking beeyotch we loved in Season 1. I consider Season 2 an improvement over Season 1 in most regards, but they have got to knock it off with the damsels in distress. Anyone else fancy a Maryann/Jessica mud wrestling match?

August 03 2009 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

I think the paintball thing was in the previews part at the end of the episode, wasn't it? I didn't mention it because I didn't want to get the spoiler hatred - so you guys can aim it at Jared! (Apologies in advance, Jared.)

Oh yeah, Lance, "Bleeding Love" was a great song choice.

August 03 2009 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

I like the Maryann story, but I hate the way it never really advances and there are just orgies with no consequence. Now that we know what she is, I hope something actually happens to her.I have a full review of the episode on my blog.

August 03 2009 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply