True Blood: Release Me
by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 3rd 2009 7:52AM
(S02E07) "Feeling sorry for things is just an excuse not to celebrate your own happiness." - Maryann
Ok, I take back my earlier comment about trying to reconcile the fact that Maryann isn't a villain. She IS a villain, and just because SHE doesn't think she's a villain doesn't make it all ok. So there. Her actions are causing other people to forget what's transpired, do bad things, and break peoples' arms. That's just not right, Maryann. Just not right.
Let alone the fact that she had Eggs kill Daphne (and that she's cast some sort of spell over Eggs). Guess Daphne -- wherever she is -- must be rethinking her stance that "Maryann saved me, gave me a whole new life ... no fear, no limits, just love." And killing, that is. I'm with Sam: "Killing people and cutting their hearts out ... that ain't love ..."
So Hugo is the traitor ... or at least one of the traitors. I'm sure there's more to that story than was revealed in this episode. I missed something there, though, because why couldn't Sookie read Hugo's thoughts earlier, when they were getting the church tour and being dragged into the basement storage area? And how could Godric rescue Sookie? I thought he was imprisoned in the basement, too, waiting to be fried in front of the congregation. He looked hail and hearty when he came to rescue Sookie from being raped by icky Gabe.
Maybe it harks back to when Eric and Isabel were standing outside the Fellowship of the Sun talking. When she said that it's hard to imagine anything overpowering Godric, Eric said, "Not anything human."
Is it just me, or does anyone else think "Kendra Wilkinson" whenever Sarah Newlin is onscreen? I keep expecting that weird laugh of Kendra's to come out of Sarah's mouth. Had to chuckle, though, when she hops up from her and Jason's sex romp in the church and cheerily announces that she has to tell Steve, because of the "vow of honesty." Jason is like a frightened fawn caught in the headlights.
Appreciated the scenes with Jessica and Hoyt -- both of them declaring their virginity, her asking, "Just because I'm a vampire, you think I'm a slut?," and then saying about her high school years, "Oh, I totally could have been a slut if I'd have gotten away with it." Those two continue to crack me up with their innocence juxtaposed with all the blood and guts. Hoyt spreading rose petals and blood candles around for their "first time" was a sweet gesture.
Other fun stuff:
- Andy falling in the mud and yelling "Pig!"
- Sookie finding the games in the basement storage area where she and Hugo were locked up: "Jesus Christ, Vampire Exterminator"; "Silver and Stakes"; and "The Send 'Em Back to Hell Game."
- Bill reading "Gods & Monsters of Ancient Greece" during the 1935 flashback.
- Lorena realizing that Bill is in love with a human. "That's so tragic, it's funny."
- It sure would be handy to be a shapeshifter. When someone's in hot pursuit, you can just shift into an owl and fly away.
- Awww ... Eric crying ... tears of blood, of course.
- Daphne describing Maryann to Sam: "She's like a pyro in a room full of matches."
- Nice to see Lafayette get a little of his gay mojo back, putting on make-up and wearing his "Bitch" t-shirt.
- Arlene thinking she date-raped Terry during the horror-sex orgy.
What did you all think of this episode?