December 18, 2014

New TV Land promo will make you sad, angry and maybe a little sick

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 4th 2009 5:01PM
TV Land logoSo I was watching The Andy Griffith Show marathon that TV Land seems to air every other day. This isn't my complaint, as I would watch that show every day of the week (as long as they're the black and white episodes and not the color ones, but that's another rant). No, my complaint is about the commercial that ran during the marathon.

The promo isn't online so I'll have to describe it. The narrator talks about how times change (with a montage of how phones have evolved over the years), how tastes change (a montage of different foods that people have eaten over the decades), and how we've changed (a montage of different hairstyles you might have had since you were a kid). The point of all this is that things change, but ... change is good! And that's why it's good that TV Land has a bunch of reality shows instead of classic TV shows, because things change and that's where viewers are now in their lives.

May I suggest that if you're life is at a point where reality shows are the norm and where reality shows are "where you are," you should be somewhere else.

This is a promo that can make a viewer sad, angry, and even sick, because it actually confirms our deepest suspicions, that TV Land is changing from a retro TV network to a reality TV network. Oh, we've had the strong clues, since they now run and hype shows like The Cougar, She's Got The Look, and High School Reunion more than The Dick Van Dyke Show for quite some time. But now the network is not only using that as a selling point, they're using it as a positive thing, as if life and the landscape of television has "finally" evolved to what it should be, a world where we can watch models argue with each other, old high school classmates learn why they used to hate each other, and groundbreaking shows that involve hidden cameras and wackiness.

It makes me wonder if the execs at TV Land think that if we haven't evolved, if we're still the same stupid, stupid people who want to watch classic sitcoms and still use a land line phone (ho-ho!), that we just aren't worthy of watching the network anymore. Oh TV viewer, you're just so stuck in the past. Don't you realize we now have shows where 40 year-old women sleep with young guys? Join us!

It's almost as if the scripted classic shows they have are just there so they can still say "hey, we do have those shows still." TV Land would probably point to their purchase of Roseanne as proof that they're not drifting away from classic shows, which pretty much tells you how they think. But you can smell the old shows going away, to be replaced by a show about senior citizens living in a house with teenagers. Watch the fun as old people try to play with a Wii! Laugh as the teens steal the seniors' high blood pressure medication! It's the episode you have to see. Thursday at 9 on TV Land!*

Fine, TV Land. Tell you what, I'll make a deal with you. Continue to add more and more reality shows to your lineup and then I'll just stop watching your channel altogether and just stick with my DVDs. OK?

*Let me apologize in advance if this actually becomes a show.

Richard Peklo

I WAS a fan of TV Land but find it harder and harder to watch the programming due to the number of commercials I am expected to watch between a break in the show. I watched Golden Girls tonight (5/8/2014) and I counted FIFTEEN (15) commercials between the one break!!!!!! How do you expect to stay engaged with your station by watching 15 commercials in a row. I know TV Land needs to make money but I do not recall ever having to sit through FIFTEEN commercials during a break in any program on any other station. This is just EXCESSIVE and BORING! I have better things to do with my time and want some enjoyment after coming home from home and not sit through 15 CONSECUTIVE commercials. You have LOST one loyal viewer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 08 2014 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIC

TV Land used to be a good channel to find good shows, now we have to have the homosexual garbage and The Exes is a joke and has sick content as well. I DVR the good shows and pass over the others and when I watch the shows I record I fast forward past the garbage commercials!

February 13 2014 at 3:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
upset.mom

While watching the TV Land Network the Andy Griffith Show at 6pm on a saturday evening with our family. A commercial came on talking about LESBIANS AND VAGINAS !!!!! My 4 year old son was watching, and my husband and I were SHOCKED !
I AM VERY UPSET and want to understand why these promotions for shows that are not appropriate for children are aired during such a wholesome show that we picked to watch just for that reason !

August 18 2012 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
victor friskey

If you watch these reality shows long enough and I mean only a few minutes of each you can tell they are rehearse. Especially Cougar and High School Reunion. My questions are: What do I care what graduates from another school are doing 30 years later, and why can't that 'Cougar find a date in her hometown

August 29 2009 at 8:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
TD

Amen. I used to watch pretty much nothing BUT TV Land. My television was always on that channel. They used to have a great line-up ranging from the 50s to the late 70s. This is where I first learned about Dobie Gillis. This is when I first saw B&W episodes of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. There were no reality shows, infomercials, and 10-hour marathons. Just plenty of true classic TV shows, which is what TV Land was originally all about. Now, I very rarely ever watch this channel, and it makes me sad. I really only tune in when Andy Griffith or Leave It To Beaver is on. They don't even show I Love Lucy anymore. Those commercials advertising "change" make me sick.

August 19 2009 at 11:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tony

Check out the "Current Programming Comments" Forum( http://forums.tvland.com/tvln/board?board.id=programcomments) on the TVLand website. Viewers have been complaining for over a year and a half about the changeover to reality shows! Stop in and leave a comment!

The "Change is good" promo is insulting. I'm 51 and I really don't want to see the trash TVland is airing now. Change is good, but the programming on TVLand isn't! It's just tacky garbage. I hear they are going to do some original sitcoms soon. I wonder how bad they will be?

Yes, they are airing Roseanne now. There are days Roseanne airs for 8 hours or more! It is on 30 to 60 hours a week! I'm totally lost by TVLands new direction and I quit watching it.

August 13 2009 at 12:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lizabeth

I love this channel. I used to watch it from 9am until I fell asleep at night. But, now, since they changed the morning lineup and stuck us with Ty Pennington, instead of Archie Bunker, I stopped watching it completely. I can watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition on CMT every day. I preferred Archie Bunker, and I was waiting for the network to start airing All In The Family from the beginning.
I am done with this channel. I have purchased the Videos of all of my favorite shows from the past, and I can watch them whenever I want. I am a child of the 60's, born in the 50's, and I don't do well with change.

August 11 2009 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mona Russll

There was a time when TV Land and I had a great relationship. Most of my viewing time was spent on that station. I don't care how many times I've seen the same episode of I Love Lucy! If I didn't want to watch it, all I had to do was change channels, but that never happened. I want TV Land back the way it was.
Lucy, Andy and Beaver are my Buds!!!!!!!!

August 11 2009 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I used to love love LOVE TV Land. Now it's just a joke to me. What a waste.

August 06 2009 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

Speaking of changing formats...I remember when G4 was "Tech TV" and had great tech shows with Leo Laporte, etc.. Then suddenly they were pushing "Man Show" reruns! Now the "Man Show" can be interesting too, but maybe on Spike! or another countrified network, not on one supposedly purposed for tech and gaming...

August 06 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply